Wahoo Kickr Help - At wits' end!

TriBiker

all bluetooth

Bluetooth only accommodates a limited number of connected devices. You may want to pair via Ant+ instead.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly the same setup as me.

Got Ant+ dongle for the PC, as i was not going to try get dongles for my ipad or phone. Not sure if you have a pc option. Power, HR and cadence all set up through Rouvy. ANT HR monitor tho.

Make sure you are not trying to run multiple devices (or multiple apps) at the same time. Wahoo has an app that allows you to set the resistance, if this is overriding Rouvy you will suffer.

There is a % button on Rouvy that allows you to set the resistance for warm ups or basic flat runs. Make sure your default power is not at 250 W as 70% of 250 = 175

Low gear at a higher cadence works for me right now.

Spin down is when you take bike up to 38 km/hr and then stop pedalling. The Kickr then sees how fast the flywheel slows down through adding progressive resitance to the flywheel. This then calibrates the power meter and gives accurate results.

Edited by LongDonkey

% of FTP instead of watts is due to the format of file you are importing from TP into Rouvy. Been a while since I used that combination, but I recall there being two different file options & the one displayed as % of FTP & the other in Watts. 

Hi World of cycling,

I am desperate.. no beyond desperate.. at the point of hauling my heavy kickr out the window. No more patience. I need help... please.

The issues:

- my training program is on training peaks (TP)

- i use wahoo kickr for indoor training

- my heart rate monitor is garmin

- cadence is wahoo cadence monitor

Issue: How do I get all of these things to work TOGETHER?

After many hours I have managed to sync TP to Rouvy Mobile App which also now has picked up my cadence but cant seem to pick up my HR? and somehow the training session is displayed in %FTP and not watts? How do I change this? Is this a TP issue rather than Rouvy setting?

All I want it is my TP session, on my kickr, reading watts (not %FTP), with my HR and cadence reading. Why does this seem to be such a challenge??

SECOND ISSUE

something is veeeeeery wrong with the kickr. My program has me at a warmup of 100 -120 watts (this is being read from the TP scheduled workout so I am not on erg mode, I am using rouvy) but i am struggling to ride. i reckon the watts are probably around 180. is this a calibration issue.

Any guidance would be highly appeciated, otherwise going to trade this kickr for a watt bike,

Thanks

Hello TriBiker, 

Thanks for using a Wahoo product... PLEASE do not throw it out of the window :) 

I've seen good responses on your questions by the public. You can also contact our support team directly at support@wahoofitness.co.za where Manoah, Sean or Wim will be of assistance. 

Just like any good tech out there you do find gremlins. We're here to keep your confidence in the Wahoo brand. 

Cheers!

You are guys are the light at the end of a very dark long painful tunnel!

Great...

1.) i will do the spin down

2.) looks like I need to get an ANT dongle thingy.. who makes these and where can i get them?

3. think i must try sufferfest... this also links with TP right.. hopefully showing watts? Then sufferfest will get HR, cadence and my workout from TP is i get the ANT dongle/ antenna... i usually use an ipad but it's an ipad mini... not sure antenna gonna work there! ugh. maybe just best to use a pc then?

All my stuff is connecting via Bluetooth

https://www.buycycle.co.za/mountain-bike/technology/computers/wahoo-fitness-usb-ant-dongle-with-extender-cable/

I didnt need the extender cable though

I think there is missing information in this thread:

Garmin HRM will be ANT+ which an IOS device will not pick up as it does not support ANT+.

The Wahoo cadence is both BLE and ANT+ which is why your iPad can pick up the cadence (via BLE).

The dongle referred to will not help your cause if you want to use your tablet - you get a ANT+ key for IOS devices (i think this is only 30 pin, so you will need to get a 30 pin adapter).

Your training programmes are in TP - why then are you using Rouvy (or even Sufferfest)? You can use the Wahoo fitness app in ERG mode, set the power according to the relevant interval and this should work. As far as I know, the Wahoo Fitness App is only on the iPhone and not iPad.

Also, do you have a Garmin head unit? If you have a newer one (Edge 520,820, 1030), it is my understanding that there is a TP IQ app in the Garmin store that will pull your programme through to your device, and the device will then send the correct details to the trainer for your intervals 

holy smokes, its looks like you need to be an IT propeller head to ride a bike these days.

Naaa.

I think the problem is that certain devices can only connect with 2 Bluetooth devices and not more.

With the ANT+ USB dongle, you plug it into you PC/Laptop - open your preferred training program and it picks up all the sensors. Easy Peasy. 

Garmin HRM will be ANT+ which an IOS device will not pick up as it does not support ANT+.

this enables ANT+ on iphones and ipads - needs a lightning adapter

The Wahoo cadence is both BLE and ANT+ which is why your iPad can pick up the cadence (via BLE).

The dongle referred to will not help your cause if you want to use your tablet - you get a ANT+ key for IOS devices (i think this is only 30 pin, so you will need to get a 30 pin adapter).

Your training programmes are in TP - why then are you using Rouvy (or even Sufferfest)? You can use the Wahoo fitness app in ERG mode, set the power according to the relevant interval and this should work. As far as I know, the Wahoo Fitness App is only on the iPhone and not iPad.

Also, do you have a Garmin head unit? If you have a newer one (Edge 520,820, 1030), it is my understanding that there is a TP IQ app in the Garmin store that will pull your programme through to your device, and the device will then send the correct details to the trainer for your intervals 

post-81857-0-02442500-1533649706_thumb.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but i have no idea what this "spin down" is you are talking about?  Why do you need to do this and how do you do this?  I use the Wahoo fitness app on my iphone and don't see any "spin down" function?

HI Shadow

You need to do a spindown every 2 weeks to calibrate your flywheel. You can do this with the wahoo fitness app or zwift if you use it. 

You have to do this every 2 weeks or when you move the unit/ reassemble the bike.

On the wahoo app.

go to Sensors( bottom left)

Click on your trainer once it is connected to the app

At the bottom, you will get spindown. 

They say you first need to warm up the wahoo for about 10min before doing the spindown. 

Hope this helps. 

this enables ANT+ on iphones and ipads - needs a lightning adapter

of course! so to get HR I need an ANT+ dongle! makes sense, thanks

Probably not the cheapest solution, but to get things working without any drama I simply bought the Wahoo HR and cadence monitors which were paired easily with my iPad.

Using this setup together with a sufferfest works great without any compatibility or linking issues.

Probably not the cheapest solution, but to get things working without any drama I simply bought the Wahoo HR and cadence monitors which were paired easily with my iPad.

Using this setup together with a sufferfest works great without any compatibility or linking issues.

Yep, I also use a Wahoo strap and it's never let me down. And it's on sale today.