K2C & e-bikes

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

E-bikes are superb for getting people off the couch, out of their cars and allowing opportunities for sharing recreational time in ways that are now possible.

For racing with others that bleed from the ears and grind their way through personal and athletic challenges - no.

In a separate event / category - yes.

Have I missed it somewhere? What’s the official reason that K2C refuses e-bikes?

Exatly, great post, but I get the impression that our need to feel victimized and insisting to brand all those with slightly different views than ours as “anti”, seems to trump logic.

I don’t see why we need to be either pro eBike always or anti eBike always, this identity politics is pathetic. Be more critical in your thinking, the answers sits on a spectrum, this is not binary.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exatly, great post, but I get the impression that our need to feel victimized and insisting to brand all those with slightly different views than ours as “anti”, seems to trump logic.

This seems to be the case with a lot of scenarios these days. Anyone with a view that happens to be different to yours is discriminating against you...

What happebed to the good old "agree to disagree"? People seem to have lost the ability to see and understand another's point of view even though they don't necessarily agree with it.

I don’t see why we need to be either pro eBike always or anti eBike always, this identity politics is pathetic. Be more critical in your thinking, the answers sits on a spectrum, this is not binary.

Labelling someone a hater is much easier than thinking.

Labelling someone a hater is much easier than thinking.

Stop hating on guys, bro!

Are there road e-bikes? That would be cool... Imagine how quickly the top guys could get around the Argus route being towed by a few e-bikes!

Imagine the sprint finishes on the flat tour stages if guys could activate pedal assist! Holy moly... Riding across a gap to catch the break? Pfft.... I reckon they should just make it legal to dope and drive e-bikes. Surely that would make the racing way more exciting?

Why hate on something? Lets embrace it and fully utilize it in the sport. 98% of the guys in the pro peloton have asthma or some other disease requiring a TUE, so just throw Porte's cyber limbs in there and you have guys absolutely needing e-bikes.

Cycling reborn! cacaw, cacaw..... the E-onix is arising!

Stop hating on guys, bro!

Are there road e-bikes? That would be cool... Imagine how quickly the top guys could get around the Argus route being towed by a few e-bikes!

Imagine the sprint finishes on the flat tour stages if guys could activate pedal assist! Holy moly... Riding across a gap to catch the break? Pfft.... I reckon they should just make it legal to dope and drive e-bikes. Surely that would make the racing way more exciting?

Why hate on something? Lets embrace it and fully utilize it in the sport. 98% of the guys in the pro peloton have asthma or some other disease requiring a TUE, so just throw Porte's cyber limbs in there and you have guys absolutely needing e-bikes.

Cycling reborn! cacaw, cacaw..... the E-onix is arising!

Throw in medical doping and you have yourself a new suoeruberultra radical sport!

Add some gap jumps and rock gardens to the road race and Red Bull will sponsor it! Them and "Big Pharma" .

Throw in medical doping and you have yourself a new suoeruberultra radical sport!

Add some gap jumps and rock gardens to the road race and Red Bull will sponsor it! Them and "Big Pharma" .

Drugs, motors, gap jumps, Redbull sponsorship....? erm it already exists = X-Games Freestyle Moto X

Drugs, motors, gap jumps, Redbull sponsorship....? erm it already exists = X-Games Freestyle Moto X

Yeah but pffft.... It's completely different. This would just be bicycle races with electric motors?!

:eek:

Ultimately the answer to this probably lies with the race organisers.

Personally I think the answer is to add a ebike category to a stage race the same way that BergnBush runs - each group starts on their own day and follows a day or two behind the other group.

I reckon there will been enough entries for an untimed "adventure" class that is open to human and elec powered bikes. That way the human racers can enter the first or second wave and the ebikers and okes that want to ride an unpressured untimed event enter the third "open" wave.

Ultimately the answer to this probably lies with the race organisers.

Personally I think the answer is to add a ebike category to a stage race the same way that BergnBush runs - each group starts on their own day and follows a day or two behind the other group.

I reckon there will been enough entries for an untimed "adventure" class that is open to human and elec powered bikes. That way the human racers can enter the first or second wave and the ebikers and okes that want to ride an unpressured untimed event enter the third "open" wave.

Serious question - with the constant evolution of motors, batteries, gearboxes etc, how would they even begin to standardise this category? Some guys potentially at 25km/h and others knocking out 50 or 60

Serious question - with the constant evolution of motors, batteries, gearboxes etc, how would they even begin to standardise this category? Some guys potentially at 25km/h and others knocking out 50 or 60

"unpressured untimed" - so no need to standardise

Agreed. That's why I reckon an untimed ride is the way to go. There is no way to standardise humans versus machines or different machines.

There seems to be a growing "ride not race" human powered segment so combine them with all machines and have a no stress no ego jol.

Let the human powered guys that want time and challenge race against each other.

At 60 you are going to run out of battery QUICK LIKE. And then you'll have a 20+kg donkey to ride home.

Most likely the reason the organizers don't allow E-Bikes is that it's a 100km race and there's a high likelihood of someone with questionable fitness (they're on an E-Bike afterall) being stuck out on course with a 20+kg bike 40km from home.

*Disclaimer

Yes I have ridden one

Yes they are great fun

They suck to ride uphill without assistance

They handle like pigs

I think racing them against legs is dumb

More people on BMXes is not a win for XCO or marathon.

More people on road bikes is not a win for XCO or marathon.

More people on downhill bikes is not a win for XCO or marathon.

And more more people on electrified bikes is not a win for the sport of cycling. Because it isn't cycling.

It is a huge win for the individual's health and opportunities for recreational pursuits. But it is not cycling and should not be part of a sports event.

But there is no reason on earth why they can't start a couple of hours earlier or later than the rest and be done with it.

On a side note, I think we should allow the W2W Adventure, for example, to anyone as it's a ride, not a race.

Yes, and none of them would ride the wrong bike in a race. Your point?

my point is that your original point is dumb. Cycling is not siloed between disciplines. the uci knows that.

I'm all for more people to start cycling, no matter what the deal. 

We should see way more people like this in our sport, it will change their lives more than you and I can imagine. An ebike makes this seemingly impossible task a more achievable reality.

http://ernestgagnon.blogspot.com/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gCgC68yX-0k/Tq_aWrwNlQI/AAAAAAAAEdo/wnt9wYYrLRA/s728/DSC_0134.JPG

https://www.npr.org/2012/10/09/162586325/instead-of-surgery-man-pedals-off-the-pounds

To get back to the OP's question, I don't see him affecting any racer's race so to deny him the chance to enter "just because" is just really being selfish.

"unpressured untimed" - so no need to standardise

Skubarra, Skubarra, Skubarra, you know, yes you do, have two or more bikes on the same route and it will be a race, it will always be a race, but in this case a motorized race... :clap:

We have a wopplehead on the bikepath here in Cape Town on a bike that must go 50 to 70km/h...  I do not like him.

Skubarra, Skubarra, Skubarra, you know, yes you do, have two or more bikes on the same route and it will be a race, it will always be a race, but in this case a motorized race... :clap:

We have a wopplehead on the bikepath here in Cape Town on a bike that must go 40 to 50km/h...  I do not like him.

What??? Some people on ebikes would actually try to race the things???

I thought ebikes only exist to give cripples and fat people a chance to experience a cycling event.

Archived