Football

IceCreamMan

Nothing like our 30 year wait for a national title. So last season's win means a helluva lot to me.

Trust me the Fergie years were pure hell for non MU fans and in particular us Liverpool fans. Not sure any team will ever touch the heights that Fergie's teams did or be as consistent at winning titles.

Far more level playing field these days in terms of the clubs finances and power... in the Fergie days, Utd as the top team when the Premiere League really established itself professionally, they where in a different league in all honesty - they had money and power on a different level and cherry picked most of the best players from the league only re-inforcing their dominance...  A lot like Bayern/Juve in all honesty.

Now days there are half a dozen plus teams that can simply say not to the big teams and hang on to their best players or at the very least get top top dollar for them when they do need to sell. Heck even Palace have held on to Zaha for years now despite advances from many top teams. 

The leagues all the better off for it of course  :thumbup:

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Far more level playing field these days in terms of the clubs finances and power... in the Fergie days, Utd as the top team when the Premiere League really established itself professionally, they where in a different league in all honesty - they had money and power on a different level and cherry picked most of the best players from the league only re-inforcing their dominance... A lot like Bayern/Juve in all honesty.

Now days there are half a dozen plus teams that can simply say not to the big teams and hang on to their best players or at the very least get top top dollar for them when they do need to sell. Heck even Palace have held on to Zaha for years now despite advances from many top teams.

The leagues all the better off for it of course [emoji106]

Fergie still had to blend that talent into a title winning team though and he was incredibly good at it. 13 titles in 20 seasons does take some doing but not all of that was simply just due to their financial circumstances/advantage but yeah I get your point.

You certainly weren't this chirpy the last time we played...

https://www.skysports.com/football/manchester-united-vs-tottenham-hotspur/428873

Still a long way to go this season, don't get too far ahead of yourselves

You see, you are mistaken. I am not ahead of myself, I'd be happy with a top4.

Personally I like Spurs, probably my favorite London team, lets hope they can stay off the second page.

Fergie still had to blend that talent into a title winning team though and he was incredibly good at it. 13 titles in 20 seasons does take some doing but not all of that was simply just due to their financial circumstances/advantage but yeah I get your point.

100%... he was an incredible man manager, talent spotter and he always got the max out of his players

I think all the teams in the league sighed a huge sigh of relief when he retired 

As a born and bred Scouser anything I'll try and say to excuse Liverpool's poor performance this season will generally sound like an excuse.

One must however remember, both City and Chelsea have super rich backers who throw money at a problem and that's why they have strength in depth.

Although FSG saved Liverpool from being declared bankrupt 6/7 years ago, for which we are all thankful, all it is to them is a business. We have a strong 1st team when everyone is fit but otherwise the purse strings are held extremely tightly and it results in JK trying to put square pegs into round holes. Witness our 2 best midfielders playing at centre-back. When the situation turns critical (Matip being ruled out for the season), they then give JK peanuts to spend. 

Compare our net outlay over the years with all the team around us and you then realise how we have exceeded expectations. We've been very fortunate that Michael Edwards has managed to make some very astute signings and then JK has worked his magic with them.

After two incredible seasons, something has to break somewhere along the line and unfortunately, it has this season. But we'll be back next year!

As a born and bred Scouser anything I'll try and say to excuse Liverpool's poor performance this season will generally sound like an excuse.

One must however remember, both City and Chelsea have super rich backers who throw money at a problem and that's why they have strength in depth.

Although FSG saved Liverpool from being declared bankrupt 6/7 years ago, for which we are all thankful, all it is to them is a business. We have a strong 1st team when everyone is fit but otherwise the purse strings are held extremely tightly and it results in JK trying to put square pegs into round holes. Witness our 2 best midfielders playing at centre-back. When the situation turns critical (Matip being ruled out for the season), they then give JK peanuts to spend.

Compare our net outlay over the years with all the team around us and you then realise how we have exceeded expectations. We've been very fortunate that Michael Edwards has managed to make some very astute signings and then JK has worked his magic with them.

After two incredible seasons, something has to break somewhere along the line and unfortunately, it has this season. But we'll be back next year!

Nothing short of rotten luck. Looking forward to when Van Dijk and Matip are both fit and available. We are better team when they are available!

Hopefully next season we will be back to our best!

Nothing like our 30 year wait for a national title. So last season's win means a helluva lot to me.

Trust me the Fergie years were pure hell for non MU fans and in particular us Liverpool fans. Not sure any team will ever touch the heights that Fergie's teams did or be as consistent at winning titles.

Ya don't be so forgetful .I remember game after game being stuck away by Rush,Aldridge and company...

100%... he was an incredible man manager, talent spotter and he always got the max out of his players

I think all the teams in the league sighed a huge sigh of relief when he retired

He had Scouts that searched for talent, and he trusted those Scouts when they spotted a player of interest. He certainly didn’t do everything himself - at least that’s what he says in his biography.

He had Scouts that searched for talent, and he trusted those Scouts when they spotted a player of interest. He certainly didn’t do everything himself - at least that’s what he says in his biography.

Sounds very different to Chelsea

Ya don't be so forgetful .I remember game after game being stuck away by Rush,Aldridge and company...

Sadly I am a little to young to remember the glory days of Rush, Aldridge, Barnes and Grobelaar. I do remember the stories my older brother (by 5 years) used to tell me though and loved watching Fowler, Mcmanaman and Owen and the like playing. That 96 FA Cup final is why I am a Red even though we lost. One of the finest games of football I watched.

Cantonaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Looking back on it now it is a fantastic goal. At the time though I hated his guts!

That 96 FA Cup final is why I am a Red even though we lost. One of the finest games of football I watched.

I remember watching it with my Dad with a big mix of Utd and Liverpool fans.  Very special memories.

Ooh Aah Cantona!