Football

IceCreamMan

I for one agree that the shield should be counted.

Can it really be fair to overlook it, since other leagues don’t have a similar competition? If that indeed is the reason

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be 4 if one counts the shield

Not much more than an exhibition match in my books... just never been taken that serious by teams

Can it really be fair to overlook it, since other leagues don’t have a similar competition? If that indeed is the reason

Don't think it is overlooked on purpose maybe because it is just one game people forget about it or see it as less important. We have the super cup over in italy and although we (I) don't incl it when we say domestic double/triple..we def count that trophy [emoji4] Edited by Gen

[emoji33][emoji33]

@coppi

This is an interested Q and A with Momblano, who seems to be the only Juve journalist who has called things right the last few years. Interesting revelation is that ronaldo signed his contract 20 days before confirmed to the media..as he said it moved fast for Juve but slow in the media.

He could also be messing around but the bugger always seems just know.

https://youtu.be/IKA8YpopUWw

Edited by Gen

What I’m trying to say is that City might not be as good as LFC, Arsenal and UTD now, but what if they replicate the same type of story? IF... a small word with a big meaning. I say, “Watch this space”.

True it could go that way but I'm hoping for more of a Blackburn scenario, which to be fair would be a very City thing to do.

What is noticeable right now is that for every article saying how good they are there is another starting to question the ethics of the club, which is fair but also something all of football could do without. 

It's never really been taken seriously at all, probably a bit late to start now.

I do wonder though if it was played at the end of the season, as opposed to being the curtain raiser for the new season, if it would be seen as more important.

True it could go that way but I'm hoping for more of a Blackburn scenario, which to be fair would be a very City thing to do.

What is noticeable right now is that for every article saying how good they are there is another starting to question the ethics of the club, which is fair but also something all of football could do without.

I have never understood the hate for City.. is it because their history is not filled with success prior to the money or is it that the big money went there and not to what people used to consider the big teams.

I have never understood the hate for City.. is it because their history is not filled with success prior to the money or is it that the big money went there and not to what people used to consider the big teams.

Oddly people used to like them for that very reason, the madness around that club was fascinating and they had some of the most dedicated fans around (who put up with no end of ridiculous things).

But for me, and as far as I can see a lot of other people, it's the cheating that puts you off. Plus all the new glory hunting plastic fans that are suddenly all over social media excusing the cheating and probably more importantly excusing the human rights abuses that seem to be part and parcel of the country that owns the club.

If they had reached where they are today in the same way Spurs have they would have garnered so much more respect.

Hate is a strong word, for me it’s more dislike.

I dislike them because they’re the wrong colour of Manchester.

I dislike Liverpool. The longer they go without winning the league, the more I like.

I used to dislike Arsenal, but that was at the height in the Viera/Keane rivalry.

Plus all the new glory hunting plastic fans that are suddenly all over social media excusing the cheating and probably more importantly excusing the human rights abuses that seem to be part and parcel of the country that owns the club.

If they had reached where they are today in the same way Spurs have they would have garnered so much more respect.

But surely that is the same for all the big clubs, go through a period of success and you pick up a generation of fans. Liverpool in the 80s, Man U in the 90's/00's Arsenal early 00's Chelsea late 00's and now City (I honestly don't know why Spurs have fans...)

Everybody likes to be associated with success, nobody starts to support a club because they like the team mascot or team kit..

But surely that is the same for all the big clubs, go through a period of success and you pick up a generation of fans. Liverpool in the 80s, Man U in the 90's/00's Arsenal early 00's Chelsea late 00's and now City (I honestly don't know why Spurs have fans...)

Everybody likes to be associated with success, nobody starts to support a club because they like the team mascot or team kit..

Yep

People have different reasons for supporting teams.. success or a certain player etc..and that passion gets handed down to their kids.. you grow up supporting that team cause your dad/mom did.. and so on and so on..okay not always the case but a lot of the time.

Pretty sure you have a story about how you came to support your club.. just like I do

Then most of us have a team or teams you have softs spots for too for a certain reason

Edited by Gen

Yep

People have different reasons for supporting teams.. success or a certain player etc..and that passion gets handed down to their kids.. you grow up supporting that team cause your dad/mom did.. and so on and so on..okay not always the case but a lot of the time.

Pretty sure you have a story about how you came to support your club.. just like I do

Then most of us have a team or teams you have softs spots for too for a certain reason

One of my school friends mom visited the UK in the early 90's and came back with an Aston Villa jersey as a present (back when they were actually not s^&t). So that is the team he chose to support... - he won't admit it but I think deep down he still regrets that present.

Spurs don’t have fans!

We are supporters. There’s no other word to explain the emotional roller coaster that comes with being a Spurs supporter lol...

COYS

You are of course quite correct... for the majority of people they pick a team based on success.

It's one of the strange modern world quirks for me that I've just never understood... people somehow thinking it makes them special or better because they chose to back some juggernaut team with unlimited funds which ultimately gets a lot of success.

Yah United, Yah City, Yah Real... so much of meh in my books

But hey, I'm one of those weird Spurs fans of three decades, clearly not hunting too much glory :)

And you asked for a reason... I'll give you two words, Paul Gascoigne

City were a cool side in the 60s and 70s.In fact they ensured Man United's relegation in 74 by beating them 1-0 in the last game of the season which was pretty cool

Edited by Kranswurm

City were a cool side in the 60s and 70s.In fact they ensured Man United's relegation in 74 by beating them 1-0 in the last game of the season which was pretty cool

There was a nice article a couple weeks back on the overall rankings of the English clubs the last 50 years... offers some cool insights.

Liverpool of course will be delighted to be ahead of Utd  :lol:    

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11713743/sky-sports-ultimate-league-201819-every-clubs-true-standing-over-past-50-years-revealed