Football

IceCreamMan

Cant see the English teams in the Europa competition having too much problem qualifying. The gap is just vast between the teams like united and the rest of the group.

maybe they need to create like a C league champions league.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been reading a lot of the space devoted to the demise of Bury. 75% of the sides below the premiership run at a loss. The wage bill for the Championship as staggering as it is for league one and league of. (salary vs total income). Overspending seems the norm, in an effort to secure promotion and hopefully bigger riches. Portsmouth are a prime example. Sunderland etc.

Saints were neck deep in it too until saved otherwise would of shut doors ban in 2008/9.

While I appreciate that football is a business and the clubs have to sustain themselves, the amount of money thrown at top clubs is just unacceptable, the wages, the costs, its mad money.

There will be a more like Bury.At the doorstep of big Manchester clubs with arguably the biggest budgets in football, not one lifted a finger.

Cant see the English teams in the Europa competition having too much problem qualifying. The gap is just vast between the teams like united and the rest of the group.

maybe they need to create like a C league champions league.

There is a gulf forming... Zenit who were in pot 1 of the Champions league would be underdogs against pretty much all of the English top 6. It's not going to change either... Wolves will not embarrass themselves in Europe either. Money talks

Quite like the idea of Bayern Munich for Spurs... nice change up from the usual group of death we seem to get

There will be a more like Bury.At the doorstep of big Manchester clubs with arguably the biggest budgets in football, not one lifted a finger.

But if the bigger clubs just bail out the Burys when they run themselves into bankruptcy wouldn't that just encourage more reckless spending from smaller clubs like them? 

But if the bigger clubs just bail out the Burys when they run themselves into bankruptcy wouldn't that just encourage more reckless spending from smaller clubs like them?

yes of course it would. No argument.

Bury is literally 10 miles (if not less) from Old Trafford (as the crow) and the disparity in finances is alarming. Bolton funny enough in that region too.

Clubs should not be allowed to get into this position. the EFL has not been doing its job properly. No excuse, the clubs should be clean too.

Apparently Bury did find an investor but the EFL refuse to rescind their decision. A league 1 club should be a viable business.

What a crazy game..

Happy for the 3 points..but that was crazy..absolutely dominated for 60min and it was beautiful footy..then the game turned on its head.

Beautiful moments of the night.

The crowd cheering support to Chiellini who will be out for months after tearing is ACL in training on Friday

Crowd giving Higuain a standing ovation when he was subbed..he had a great game.

Chiellini hobbling onto the pitch and consoling Koulibaly after his own goal gave us the 3 points..(I am happy for the 3 points..but gutted for Koulibaly, he is my favourite player who doesn't play for my team)

Man we will miss our captain on the field.

De Ligt is young he will learn.. a massive ask to step in for Chiellini for a game of that magnitude..yes there was a mistake that lead to a goal but the breakdown of communication at the back was just as much to blame..the CB paring of Bonucci and De Ligt will take time and besides that mistake he had a solid game.

Costa was phenomenal, Khedira was incredible..the wheels kind fell off after he was subbed we need to get more minutes out of him. Matuidi worked his arse off as he always does. Danilo was great..he had to come on early for De Siglio after he picked up a knock.

Far more positive than negatives. Fortunately it is early in the season so best learn from mistake at this stage than pay dearly for them later.

Of course Ancelotti is a tactical genius..we struggled to adapt to the changes..

Sarri will be on the touchline after the international break..... that will also make a difference.

2 games in and we were able to produce the football we did for 60min is great I thought it would take 2 months under a completely different system.

Edited by Gen

Great derby, great atmosphere. Both teams lucky to salvage a point I thought.

I can’t help wondering if Kane’s piledriver ended in the back of the net... :drooling:

Nevertheless, a typical, tense, engaging derby :clap: :clap:

I can’t help wondering if Kane’s piledriver ended in the back of the net... :drooling:

Nevertheless, a typical, tense, engaging derby :clap: :clap:

Had been dreading this game, the first time I've really feared Arsenal in ages... that was more about us than them, we've been poor so far this season, and for some time outside of our Champions League run last season too - nowhere near Champions league qualifying form this last calendar year if you look at our results. Squad definitely not settled, but hopefully after tonight the team can get back to focusing on the games ahead and not endless transfer ideas.

Definitely one of those games that could of gone either way, both teams with lots of chances, but all in all I can be happy enough with a point away from home. We will get better. Arsenal are still really struggling at the back, it's going to cost them.

VAR... still lots of grey areas that need clarity... how the rugby tackle on Deli Alli wasn't a penalty I will never know. It's even more obvious than the one we should of got last week. It did 'save us' with Arsenals third though, so not all bad.

If only Kane's shot had snuck just inside that post... crikey what a hit, that post is still vibrating today

Liverpool and City looking like setting up another ridiculous title charge

• 2 weeks later...

usual suspects all lining up to qualify for euro 2020. Only real interesting group is the Germany/Netherlands/Northern Ireland group.

Low is surviving by the skin of his teeth I suspect. Surprised he still has the job. in the world of manager carousals its good to see continuity and esp when results not going well

Very interesting weekend...

Man City defensively not the same with out Laporte - Norwich deserved that win full stop
Liverpool suddenly looking pretty rosey, even if it is very early days

Man Utd and Leicester wasn't the game I thought it might be - two teams who thrive on the counter more than anything, but not too sharp when they need to open up sides

Spurs looked a lot sharper and heading back towards full strength, hopefully we can get top four again so that Poch is at least in a strong position to sign players heading forward. Can't see us touching Liverpool and City

Same old Arsenal - lucky to get a draw with Watford. David Luiz is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Impressive result from Chelsea - Frank certainly looks like he's building something there. Lots of young English talent that would in the past have been rotting away on loan or on the bench... can only be a good thing long term