Football

IceCreamMan

So PL up and running.

Can't comment on the Liverpool game as I didn't watch.. my son took a nasty knock to his thumb playing cricket and we had to pay a visit to the ER yesterday..chop.. he is a chop but I believe no real surprises there..

City doing what City do even in third gear.

Watched the Everton game cause well Moise you know I love that kid..such a shame Everton had a player sent off just after he came on.. but damn Everton have work to do.. that midfield couldn't string together 3 passes from 30min in.

Spurs need to hold onto Erikson ..game changed when he came on.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only managed to watch the Spurs game and no surprises for me. Even though I think we go to ManCity too early in the season, let’s see if the Spurs boys can start the game better than they did against Villa.

Erikson has been Spurs’ heartbeat and I’m praying he stays.

Of course the very complicated situation at Juve, 6 players have to be cut from the CL squad to comply with CL regulations, they will have to call up some youth players..it will be a difficult few weeks as some fan favourites will have to be excluded [emoji174]

BUT as for Sarriball.. Juve are adopting it really well..yes conceded against Atletico last night but the movement and transition is on point..fluid footy...always hard to tell with ore season games..you don't know what the aim of each game is..but Sarri is happy, players are happy therefore I am happy..completely different style of play.. Douglas Costa and Rabiot just wowie [emoji3059]

a8e947d5cb08d6af375156603a350e33.jpg

Edited by Gen

We were woeful. Game not shown here but watched the lowlights.

Was in a pub in Cornwall watching the spurs game. Was full of villa fans who first laughed then cried.

What is surprising is the chasm between the top sides an others.

On train home an WiFi ain’t good enough to stream Chelsea united game later. Will watch highlights later.

City and Liverpool still the benchmark... I don't see Liverpool being as good this year though and City might even be better... scary thought!

For Spurs, a lot will depend on how the new players settle in... Lo Celso will be pretty crucial as he's the player in the 'Eriksen' mould that will hopefully be unlocking defenses and scoring from midfield. I do worry who might still leave in the European window. We are short Ali and Son at the moment too, so we've definitely got a bit of depth to us now. Was very happy to see KWP have a good game at RB, as that's a worrying position for the team.

Villa actually looked pretty good, they've got some pace on the counter and look pretty solid at the back... which is usually a good thing for promoted teams. I hope they have a good season - nice old traditional club with a heap of history. They just learnt a very simple lesson, in that you cannot give top players even a sniff, as they will punish you.

Arsenal, time will tell, but I still think they'll concede too many goals and have too many luxury players who don't put in a shift

Man Utd looked good, but I'm still not convinced they'll cope with the better teams in most areas. Still relying on individuals over the team as a whole.

Chelsea, actually looked okay until it all unraveled... steep learning curve for a young team and a young manager. Zouma for me has never looked like top drawer - he's a bit in the Micah Richards mould, plenty promise, but disappointing in reality.
Can't help but wonder how much time Frank will actually be given... Hazard was papering over the cracks of what is not the greatest squad around. As always, I look at who the top 3 would want in their squads, and I don't see too many players. Maybe 3-4, but lots of mediocrity in there too... 

City and Liverpool still the benchmark... I don't see Liverpool being as good this year though and City might even be better... scary thought!

For Spurs, a lot will depend on how the new players settle in... Lo Celso will be pretty crucial as he's the player in the 'Eriksen' mould that will hopefully be unlocking defenses and scoring from midfield. I do worry who might still leave in the European window. We are short Ali and Son at the moment too, so we've definitely got a bit of depth to us now. Was very happy to see KWP have a good game at RB, as that's a worrying position for the team.

Villa actually looked pretty good, they've got some pace on the counter and look pretty solid at the back... which is usually a good thing for promoted teams. I hope they have a good season - nice old traditional club with a heap of history. They just learnt a very simple lesson, in that you cannot give top players even a sniff, as they will punish you.

Arsenal, time will tell, but I still think they'll concede too many goals and have too many luxury players who don't put in a shift

Man Utd looked good, but I'm still not convinced they'll cope with the better teams in most areas. Still relying on individuals over the team as a whole.

Chelsea, actually looked okay until it all unraveled... steep learning curve for a young team and a young manager. Zouma for me has never looked like top drawer - he's a bit in the Micah Richards mould, plenty promise, but disappointing in reality.

Can't help but wonder how much time Frank will actually be given... Hazard was papering over the cracks of what is not the greatest squad around. As always, I look at who the top 3 would want in their squads, and I don't see too many players. Maybe 3-4, but lots of mediocrity in there too...

Yep on United, that game could have easily had gone the other way if Chelsea took their early chances. BUT United strengthened the one area the desperately needed to their defense will be a lot more solid than last season which will give the midfielders more confidence going forward because they will be able to trust their defense behind them Wan Bissaka was an excellent signing and Maguire will be solid..that being said..they did give Chelsea too many opportunities in the first half but in time they should tighten up..should And can someone pls get a nutritionist to work with Shaw he needs to lose some body mass.

That first assist of Pogba was beautiful..perfect, Rashford could just pick up that ball in his stride.

We said Ole was out of his depth, Lampard is going to find things very very difficult but he has the excuse of the transfer ban..how long that will fly I don't know.

Agreed on Villa I enjoyed that..they look pretty solid.

Edited by Gen

Agreed on that scary thought, but I also see city being even better than previous years.

Liverpool will likely be runners up but abit further behind this time. I really double we will only lose 1 game all season.

United will definitely be better. I think there biggest challenge will be consistency. They don't have a big squad.

Spurs will be Spurs. Will be strong for 80% of the season then fade.

Chelski I recon will struggle for the next 2 seasons. They need to build and give lampard some time (unlikely).

Arsenal, I dunno. Unpredictable as always so let's see.

Given how easily it is for players and coaches to leave clubs, why then are we fans so hard on other fans when they move on to a different team?

I started following football just as Mourinho arrived at Chelsea and that was the start of the golden years. With Hazard gone there is nothing really inspiring left there.

Granted, I don't know to which other team I would switch my support... maybe one of the German outfits.

Given how easily it is for players and coaches to leave clubs, why then are we fans so hard on other fans when they move on to a different team?

I started following football just as Mourinho arrived at Chelsea and that was the start of the golden years. With Hazard gone there is nothing really inspiring left there.

Granted, I don't know to which other team I would switch my support... maybe one of the German outfits.

Bayern, for their Twitter account..man whoever the admin is, is brilliant.

A few teams with lighthearted social media.. and just sometimes there is a bit of banter between them.[emoji23]

Edited by Gen

willing to put money on Lampard being the first managerial casualty this season, even before christmas.

I’m willing to bet that Cheatski keep him!

Given that they are in a transfer ban, it is extremely difficult or silly to change managers and still use the same players. Who would want to replace Lampard? I don’t think any of the more experienced/ top managers.

They will use Lampard to run down the clock, and maybe find ways to support him without new players

While what you are saying makes logical sense, none of what Abramovich has done in the past has any signs of logic to it. 

I'd actually back Frank to succeed... he's a winner.

I've never liked him, as a Spurs fan he was far too good and far too much of a pain in the arse for far too long - he's a model professional though always had that extreme determination that sets him apart, and I have no doubt will pour himself into management like he did his football.

This was a baptism of fire for sure, but I reckon he will adapt and learn fast on the job. And he'll also be given just that little bit more leeway than your average Chelsea manager...

Chelsea have nothing to lose and expectations have probably never been lower.

Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds

Interesting point, but if if you chop & change the team you support it doesn't say much for your connection to that team in the first place? But people change countries, spouses, jobs etc so why not the team you support?

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal vs Liverpool at Anfield tomorrow. Can't wait. Doubt we will beat pool but we should hopefully put on a better performance than last season.  

Edited by ScottC-M