Bicycling Magazine Loss of Values

jandemoerin

Subject: Loss of Values Bicycling magazine September 2018 issue

Dear Editor

With the moral fabric of our society daily under attack with everything from foul language, lies, corruption, violence, disrespect etc, I have to strongly object to your magazine, supposedly a family magazine, now having stooped rather low with your article in the September 2018 issue, head lined “Totally Bogan!” On page 76 “Charlie” throws down the “F” bomb and on page 77, you`ve got a black and white picture of a bearded guy throwing double middle fingers!

Now this is not the type of behaviour I would like a primary school kid to mimic, so this issue of Bicycling will have to be removed from the other magazines on the coffee table!

Suppose your wife is was on the receiving end of filthy sign language like that from a strange man like that! It can by no stretch of the imagination be “cool”, “in” or part of the general cycling fraternity`s  etiquette!

I think you need to clean up your act and print an apology.

Disappointingly yours

Jan Koekemoer

Ridgeworth

Cape Town

I am attaching the content of an email I sent to the editor of Bicycling Magazine about their poor judgement in placing a picture of a guy throwing double middle fingers and the use of the "F" word in the content, but although I followed up with another email on Friday, did not get a response from them.

post-28915-0-12839700-1534756071_thumb.jpg

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Escapee. Not sure where you are trying to go with your question?! If I say they are pre teens, do you want to say I should hide the magazine and if I say they are teenagers, do you want to say they`ve seen it before so..?

Hi Escapee. Not sure where you are trying to go with your question?! If I say they are pre teens, do you want to say I should hide the magazine and if I say they are teenagers, do you want to say they`ve seen it before so..?

Well spotted, Escapee is trolling.

I agree with you, no need for that to be in the Magazine

Good letter from the OP.

Solid point.

Let's see what the Editor does in response to constructive feedback.

HTFU is about the only time the F Bomb is cleverly used within a specific context.  :huh:

Is is marketed specifically a 'family' bike magazine? I guess they might be trying to be more edgy. 

Might not specifically be marketed as a "family" bike magazine, but barring a warning on the cover that states not for under a certain age, surely he has a point?

Hi PS. I came here as I received no response from the magazine or it`s editor after having written them twice in the space of a week. Not even a receipt to say that they are attending to my mail or so... I therefor get the impression that they consider my objection as trivial.

One has to chuckle, comes to Le Hub, probably the magazine's biggest competitor to complain...

Aren't you the online editor for the competitor or have I got that wrong?

But your hub name ‍♀[emoji6]

I agree

Kids also visit BIKEHUB, now we have swearing and pictures of a toppie gooing ZAPS

Swak

Think about the children!

Hi PS. I came here as I received no response from the magazine or it`s editor after having written them twice in the space of a week. Not even a receipt to say that they are attending to my mail or so... I therefor get the impression that they consider my objection as trivial.

By ignoring you they are showing you the middle finger as well.

Archived