Flats for MTB

Spirog

So, I'm picking up a pair of DMR pedals later today. Going to try them with a pair of Salomon's that I have. Will report back once I've had a few rides.

Thanks, Hubland. You rock!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm picking up a pair of DMR pedals later today. Going to try them with a pair of Salomon's that I have. Will report back once I've had a few rides.

Thanks, Hubland. You rock!!

Salomons... No tread, I hope?

Seriously. Running shoes and flats do not mix lekker. Get a pair of DC's. Far cheaper than 5-10 and I think almost as grippy.

As the Cpt suggest, just make sure whatever shoes you first try flats with that they have an equivalent flat sole like this:

post-62450-0-02598700-1535035195.jpg

A sole like this and you're gonna have a bad time:

post-62450-0-19983500-1535035229_thumb.jpg

Salomons... No tread, I hope?

Seriously. Running shoes and flats do not mix lekker. Get a pair of DC's. Far cheaper than 5-10 and I think almost as grippy.

Yes and no... to start yes DC's will suffice (I used my Globe skate shoes to start with) buuuuuut 5-10's cannot be compared. The 5-10's are way more grippy and stiffer.

Running shoes do not work unless you want to inflict a world of hurt on your shins ????

Yes and no... to start yes DC's will suffice (I used my Globe skate shoes to start with) buuuuuut 5-10's cannot be compared. The 5-10's are way more grippy and stiffer.

Running shoes do not work unless you want to inflict a world of hurt on your shins

Okay, thanks for that. My 5-10's are ragged AF at the moment, so need replacement. I know they can't be beaten, but 2k on shoes is just.... joh. Especially at the moment. 

I'm with @V12MAN

Go ride some technical trails with your Flats before the W2W. Then put your clips back on for the race.

I don't see why you want to go flats for doing a stage race which is 99% non super duper technical. 80% of the comments on this thread are from guys more into the gravity side of things and sure It has its place, I'm considering it as well. 

However you are going to be doing a 3 day 250 km stage race not your first Enduro race.

You already know how to clip in and out since you ride a roadbike. For the 1% (10 minutes) of the course you don't feel comfortable with, just walk, but now you are going to be riding flats for the other 99% (9 hours) of the race, which when you are use to clips feel slow and inefficient, your knees might not like it (which you'll find out 50km into day 2) and besides, clips are actually better on some downhills (for beginners) since you wont get bounced off. (Flats also takes some skill to master 100%)

Sorry, but I disagree with most of the comments from Hubbers who often applies their slightly off topic personal experience to your question.

Get a dropper post, so you don't feel like a Giraffe drinking water when going down steep stuff. Make sure your bike is set up right, shortish stem and get some spacers in there to raise your bars a bit and stick to the clips.

I'm with @V12MAN

Go ride some technical trails with your Flats before the W2W. Then put your clips back on for the race.

I don't see why you want to go flats for doing a stage race which is 99% non super duper technical. 80% of the comments on this thread are from guys more into the gravity side of things and sure It has its place, I'm considering it as well. 

However you are going to be doing a 3 day 250 km stage race not your first Enduro race.

You already know how to clip in and out since you ride a roadbike. For the 1% (10 minutes) of the course you don't feel comfortable with, just walk, but now you are going to be riding flats for the other 99% (9 hours) of the race, which when you are use to clips feel slow and inefficient, your knees might not like it (which you'll find out 50km into day 2) and besides, clips are actually better on some downhills (for beginners) since you wont get bounced off. (Flats also takes some skill to master 100%)

Sorry, but I disagree with most of the comments from Hubbers who often applies their slightly off topic personal experience to your question.

Get a dropper post, so you don't feel like a Giraffe drinking water when going down steep stuff. Make sure your bike is set up right, shortish stem and get some spacers in there to raise your bars a bit and stick to the clips.

The flats and clips debate is always divisive and it seems clear which side of the fence you sit on. Out of interest, have you ever ridden flats? And if so, have you done long distance with them? Just wondering if your comments are from personal experience or based on assumption...

turbo 1000W

4min 20sec

this side down...

door closed

start.

whiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The flats and clips debate is always divisive and it seems clear which side of the fence you sit on. Out of interest, have you ever ridden flats? And if so, have you done long distance with them? Just wondering if your comments are from personal experience or based on assumption...

I knew I'd get flack for that  ^_^

I started riding flats in 1995, and have since done every single MTB discipline on flats and clips. Try me, I'll post pics.

Don't mistake my post for a "choon". But if the shoe fits..

I'm merely trying to stick to the topic and help a gentleman with obviously less experience on dirt than all of us, so, putting yourself in his shoes, all these comments are quite confusing and he will have no idea who Sam Hill is, and that he's from the gravity side of things, not in fact a Cape Epic contender..

I knew I'd get flack for that  ^_^

I started riding flats in 1995, and have since done every single MTB discipline on flats and clips. Try me, I'll post pics.

Don't mistake my post for a "choon". But if the shoe fits..

I'm merely trying to stick to the topic and help a gentleman with obviously less experience on dirt than all of us, so, putting yourself in his shoes, all these comments are quite confusing and he will have no idea who Sam Hill is, and that he's from the gravity side of things, not in fact a Cape Epic contender..

Fair points! Certainly wasn't trying to give you flack, just wondering whether or not you were coming from a personal experience side of it.

It comes down to personal preference in the most part, but I think it should be noted that longer distance can be done with flats it could however be argued that they are less efficient than clips (over long distance) and not necessarily the best option for long distance if you have limited experience on flats. But for learning proper technique, flats can't be beat

Get a dropper post, so you don't feel like a Giraffe drinking water when going down steep stuff.

I'm debating this with myself. Have an ally frame FS XC bike that I fitted a good dropper to. Liked it but now also have a very similar but pretty decent bike in carbon w/out dropper and finding I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would and am considering forgetting about a dropper on the new bike and just saving the weight (and munny).

Thoughts?

I'm debating this with myself. Have an ally frame FS XC bike that I fitted a good dropper to. Liked it but now also have a very similar but pretty decent bike in carbon w/out dropper and finding I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would and am considering forgetting about a dropper on the new bike and just saving the weight (and munny).

Thoughts?

Don't be stupid.

Thoughts?

Droppers are always better. There if you need them, and if on that ride you don't need it just don't use it. And the weight - really? 300grams at most, just drop the kids off at the pool before you ride and you will save more than that.

Thoughts?

Same circle. Ditched it and don't miss it. Will probably fit it to a play bike when I get to building one. But on my XC bike I don't miss it at all

Same circle. Ditched it and don't miss it. Will probably fit it to a play bike when I get to building one. But on my XC bike I don't miss it at all

Same here. I have done W2W 5 times without a dropper and never felt the need for it. I have a dropper now on my play bike, and I also find I only really use it for trails where my wheels will leave the ground (like G Spot). For normal technical stuff like you find on W2W it's not necessary. I am 1.91m so my saddle is pretty high as well.

Archived