Breaking News: Cycle Lab Acquires Chris Willemse Cycles

fanievb

You dont see CL putting pressure on those grey import channels to close ?

Maybe even force international suppliers to go through formal "distribution" channels, like some already do ?

I mean our market is so small it wont bother the big guys which way round the stuff comes in.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is not CL taking over CWC but rather Moregolf taking over CWC.

CL was fine before Moregolf bought them out.

I disagree. Cyclelab and FPC got the industry together to fix prices

They will say this is "inaccurate", but it takes a huge leap of faith to think it's all fabricated.

https://mg.co.za/article/2009-03-17-taken-for-a-ride

The case was dropped, but the two big distributors eventually got pinged. For me the mud sticks forever.

Cyclelabs big draw card is the link with momentum multiply. Members get up to 30% discount.

I can't see the parallel import trend continuing since More Corp would need to formalise the handshake agreements that oom C had with bike manufacturers to purchase direct from them their surplus stock. (that's the only way I can see how he was acquiring parts legit).

What buying CWC does give CL is another premium property site that they can develop to parallel in CT what they have in 4Ways.

I'm not a customer at either CWC or CL.

Bought some stuff years ago from CWC when they had a special for the Argus. No problems at all.

CL are just a bunch of rip offs.

Good for the CWC owner/s but terrible for the consumers.

Also good for other smaller shops to step up and make some of the CWC customers there's.

Great opportunities for some.

I buy majority of my stuff from over the seas.

If the parralel imports are halted, and only local distributors are used, It will only spell disaster.

Get used to the unavailibility of “old technology “ items such as 2 x 10 components etc.

Will not buy at CL was a loyal supporter of CWC. Nice to ask for a deal and minutes later it was on the site. Those handwritten cards and the odd bottle of wine made it familiar for us up North like we were dealing with an LBS.Just don't see how CL is making it with how they are ripping off customers but let's see. Good to see there is no bad feelings towards Oom Chris-he built a good business and sold it-now he can sit on the stoep and enjoy life-well deserved.

I disagree. Cyclelab and FPC got the industry together to fix prices

They will say this is "inaccurate", but it takes a huge leap of faith to think it's all fabricated.

https://mg.co.za/article/2009-03-17-taken-for-a-ride

The case was dropped, but the two big distributors eventually got pinged. For me the mud sticks forever.

This is news to me, I was unaware. Even if the report was "inaccurate". I too will not support CL, Andrew Maclean especially, and now CWC any longer.

200% mark up. vark me. what a chop.

I don’t think anyone is bleak with a Oom Chris cashing out after working his butt off for years, think it’s more who it was sold to, a business with very different ethos.

Will be interesting to see how unfolds.

No, they are bleak because somebody moved their cheese.

A transaction like this is extremely healthy in a free market environment. It will give existing smaller businesses an opportunity to grow if they shape up, as many shoppers will be looking for a “anybody but CL” alternative. This will in turn give us the consumer wider options.

Those who do this will will grow, and maybe down the line grow to such an extent that they too are bought out, upsetting many and spawning a new hub thread.

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps CWC was purchased, not to turn it into a CL, but rather that it, it’s staff and methodologies was bought to improve the user experiences for CL.

Wow, so many tin foil hats in this thread. Chances are CWC will continue as is. It's a healthy business, why change it? CL may start to distribute the CWC in-house brands (Marvel, etc.) and also piggyback off the better pricing CWC has on products. The local agencies might feel the pinch.

So it probably an easy bet to take that this thread will make it to Friday, not sure if there will still be lots of fireworks in it by then though

Disaster , Chris what were you thinking , retiring ?? Cycle Lab are the worst terrible staff & crazy high pricing . Chris Willemse best staff & pricing !!!

lol, soooo at one stage you could not mention a bad experience at a certain shop without being hounded off the hub for daring to speak ill of them.

The question who will become the new "untouchables"  ? 

My experiences with Cycle Lab have been positive. They're not beyond making errors (which of us is?) but they are very honest, try very hard, always make me feel like a family member when I walk in the door and often will do a small job on my bike for free. I think they've got a great team with great ethics and I only wish more SA businesses were as good.

Archived