[Event] Trans Baviaans Race

Seamus Allardice

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many team members are you looking for?

11 hours is going to be quite a fast time to get :D

Haha yip I know!

We entered a team of 4 for the The Race again..

I was trying to bargain for 12 hours, the rest of the team said 11 hours, I asked aim for 11 hours and be happy with 12 hours, they said no, we aim for sub 11 hours and possibly a Top 30 finish, end of discussion.

Obviously my training started this morning! I'm at least 12kg overweight. First thing to fix is this!

Then when we are done with the Argus we are going to follow that 23 weeks Trans Baviaans training plan religiously until raceday!

Last year I entered 3 weeks before the race with a team of guys I didn't know and never ridden with before and just winged it with a bit of advice I got from you Robert. This time around it is with three guys I know and we ride together 3-4 times a week and have a solid plan and mutual goal long before the race. This is going to help a lot I think!

Now that you mention the 23-week program, have you used it before and how successful has it been? I followed it roughly last time but with my job's travelling requirements and general variability sticking to any sort of plan isn't an easy prospect for me, much less one where I need to ride just about every day for multiple hours.

Maybe this would be better suited for a separate thread.

Now that you mention the 23-week program, have you used it before and how successful has it been? I followed it roughly last time but with my job's travelling requirements and general variability sticking to any sort of plan isn't an easy prospect for me, much less one where I need to ride just about every day for multiple hours.

Haha no!! Last time around I started training 3 week before the race and that was basically just three long rides of between 110km and 140km on three successive Saturdays! (But my fitness was already okay-ish since I was busy training for Karoo2Coast, not on any program though)

Haha yip I know!

We entered a team of 4 for the The Race again..

I was trying to bargain for 12 hours, the rest of the team said 11 hours, I asked aim for 11 hours and be happy with 12 hours, they said no, we aim for sub 11 hours and possibly a Top 30 finish, end of discussion.

Obviously my training started this morning! I'm at least 12kg overweight. First thing to fix is this!

Then when we are done with the Argus we are going to follow that 23 weeks Trans Baviaans training plan religiously until raceday!

Last year I entered 3 weeks before the race with a team of guys I didn't know and never ridden with before and just winged it with a bit of advice I got from you Robert. This time around it is with three guys I know and we ride together 3-4 times a week and have a solid plan and mutual goal long before the race. This is going to help a lot I think!

Sub 12 is easy on a 4 week program even with 12kg overweight. So just get the weight down and sub 11 should be doable with sub 12 training.

I am in the same boat, I am just 20+ kg over weight.

I followed the 23 week training plan in 2013 as well as 2015 - it does work but it does become a bit much, 12 - 16 hours of training per week is hectic. When dedicating so much time to a single event you end up skimping on other avenues of your life  :whistling:.

In 2013 I had a personal trainer 2 x 1 hour sessions per week, 4 x 1 hour spinning sessions and a long ride on both Saturday and Sunday and my result for the 2013 Baviaans?

DNF!!!!!! I came off the bike at the Nuwekloof Pass and pulled out at CP#3 due to injury from the fall. 

Then again in 2015 I did close to 6 hours of spinning during the week with 130km rides over the weekend (either in one go or a 70 and 60km ride). And what was my time for the 2015 Baviaans? 

18:34 with lots of mechanicals a time penalty and riding solo between CP#5 & CP#7 without any lights. 

My point? Things go wrong on the day or leading up to it and if you've put in 12-16 hours / week of training leading up to the event you'll be really  :cursing:

@Johan - My advice: If you guys have the base fitness sorted - which you already have, then follow these steps - 

1. Don't put "time" to the amount of training you do. A 1 hour spinning session can absolutely break you - its designed to do just that! In the shortest space of time  ;).
  2. Don't make the 11 hour or a specific finishing time your goal - as mentioned above, things happen and if / when it does you do not want the added pressure of a certain time in the back of your mind.
  3. Rather focus on building the team - you already ride together and the relationship already works quite well (I assume) but spending 3-4 hours per ride together on the bike vs. 11-15 hours is two different things. Take the time to identify each others strengths and weakness, then on the day capitalize on the strengths and try to eliminate the weaknesses. If one member is a strong climber then use that on the climbs. If another member is what is termed as a "diesel motor" then let him / her lead on the flats and or where ever. It also helps to build confidence to the individual. I mean a good example is one about myself - I suck at riding in a group and or with someone else, I just can't. My HR is way higher and I can't get any rhythm to speak of, but, the moment I'm allowed to lead a group or team member I can almost ride at tempo the whole day  :wacko:. It's psychological I know, but meh  :).  
  4. This is a team event and if one member is in the "hurt-locker" the other team mates need to support the member until he / she can cope again, if not, you'll spend a lot of time at the CP's to try and recover or even worse the member will pull the plug and possibly scar the friendship  :thumbup:
  5. Try to limit the time spent at the CP's - this is where the most time is lost and the longer you spend at the CP's the harder you end up riding to make up the lost time.

Sorry about the Essay 

I followed the 23 week training plan in 2013 as well as 2015 - it does work but it does become a bit much, 12 - 16 hours of training per week is hectic. When dedicating so much time to a single event you end up skimping on other avenues of your life  :whistling:.

In 2013 I had a personal trainer 2 x 1 hour sessions per week, 4 x 1 hour spinning sessions and a long ride on both Saturday and Sunday and my result for the 2013 Baviaans?

DNF!!!!!! I came off the bike at the Nuwekloof Pass and pulled out at CP#3 due to injury from the fall. 

Then again in 2015 I did close to 6 hours of spinning during the week with 130km rides over the weekend (either in one go or a 70 and 60km ride). And what was my time for the 2015 Baviaans? 

18:34 with lots of mechanicals a time penalty and riding solo between CP#5 & CP#7 without any lights. 

My point? Things go wrong on the day or leading up to it and if you've put in 12-16 hours / week of training leading up to the event you'll be really  :cursing:

@Johan - My advice: If you guys have the base fitness sorted - which you already have, then follow these steps - 

1. Don't put "time" to the amount of training you do. A 1 hour spinning session can absolutely break you - its designed to do just that! In the shortest space of time  ;).
  2. Don't make the 11 hour or a specific finishing time your goal - as mentioned above, things happen and if / when it does you do not want the added pressure of a certain time in the back of your mind.
  3. Rather focus on building the team - you already ride together and the relationship already works quite well (I assume) but spending 3-4 hours per ride together on the bike vs. 11-15 hours is two different things. Take the time to identify each others strengths and weakness, then on the day capitalize on the strengths and try to eliminate the weaknesses. If one member is a strong climber then use that on the climbs. If another member is what is termed as a "diesel motor" then let him / her lead on the flats and or where ever. It also helps to build confidence to the individual. I mean a good example is one about myself - I suck at riding in a group and or with someone else, I just can't. My HR is way higher and I can't get any rhythm to speak of, but, the moment I'm allowed to lead a group or team member I can almost ride at tempo the whole day  :wacko:. It's psychological I know, but meh  :).  
  4. This is a team event and if one member is in the "hurt-locker" the other team mates need to support the member until he / she can cope again, if not, you'll spend a lot of time at the CP's to try and recover or even worse the member will pull the plug and possibly scar the friendship  :thumbup:
  5. Try to limit the time spent at the CP's - this is where the most time is lost and the longer you spend at the CP's the harder you end up riding to make up the lost time.

Sorry about the Essay 

It sounds like you've had some horrible luck in the past! Hopefully you don't have that in the future.

I feel a little different to some of the things you have said, you should always go in with a planned time, then that motivates you to train hard and consistently.

Mechanicals happen, crashes happen, it's how you deal with them. 

Don't go in having planned to fail, cos then you will.

Also think you need your team to work on their weaknesses, like you, you can't ride in a bunch. No point you burning matches the whole day sitting on the front. If your partner is k*k on climbs, he better do a bunch of training on hills so he doesn't frustrate his team mates or negate their strengths.

Think you might need to relook at your strategy of TB.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Generally a pretty good post but I have to disagree on these two points:

1. Honestly it's not the same, last year I did a ton of short, really intense, interval training and not too many long rides, this year I've done less interval training and a bunch more long rides (like 5 hours plus) and my fitness and strength is way, WAY better this year compared to last. It's about finding the balance between the two.
  2. I can never agree with not having a goal for something. Sure the goal can change if you get nailed with mechanicals/crashes/etc. but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a target. How is a specific time target any different to aiming to finish within the cut-off time? I mean surely that's also a time target (albeit a much more relaxed one)

No definitely you're spot on - spending an hour on the indoor trainer does not compare to a 5 hour session outdoors, no doubt. I was merely stating that if you focus solely on the amount of hours spent (in this case 12-16 hours) you may end up sacrificing "quality" sessions for that of a "quantity" session.

In my opinion and what I prefer to do during the week is to put in a few hour long spinning sessions with an avg HR of around 80% rather than to go out for a 2-3 hour cycling session where my avg HR struggles to break 65%. Over the weekend I will then do 1 or 2 long rides to get the balance, but if you end up riding 3-4 times during the week and then try to get on the bike over the weekend you could easily loose focus and the training rides could turn into some coffee stops. 

On the 2nd point - If you're fit, spend little time at the CP's and ride together well, then the time can easily be in 11 hour region, it's definitely possible. My statement meant that the sole focus should not be on the time alone. If everyone goes for time alone the weakest link may be pushed into the red too early

1. Honestly it's not the same, last year I did a ton of short, really intense, interval training and not too many long rides, this year I've done less interval training and a bunch more long rides (like 5 hours plus) and my fitness and strength is way, WAY better this year compared to last. It's about finding the balance between the two.
  2. I can never agree with not having a goal for something. Sure the goal can change if you get nailed with mechanicals/crashes/etc. but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a target. How is a specific time target any different to aiming to finish within the cut-off time? I mean surely that's also a time target (albeit a much more relaxed one)

I have done the TB 4 times already - I tend to deal quite badly with mechanicals, especially if it is something like gears skipping and shifters not shifting only to hear from the mechanic at the CP that the stuff is way past their expiration date and not maintained properly  :oops: (not on my bike).

I've always had an "ideal time" I wanted to finish the race with and I do keep that in my mind (and partners) but I think getting in sync and riding well with your partner adds massive value to the overall experience and ultimately makes everyone faster. 

But, yes, everything else you've mentioned is the absolute truth

It sounds like you've had some horrible luck in the past! Hopefully you don't have that in the future.

I feel a little different to some of the things you have said, you should always go in with a planned time, then that motivates you to train hard and consistently.

Mechanicals happen, crashes happen, it's how you deal with them. 

Don't go in having planned to fail, cos then you will.

Also think you need your team to work on their weaknesses, like you, you can't ride in a bunch. No point you burning matches the whole day sitting on the front. If your partner is k*k on climbs, he better do a bunch of training on hills so he doesn't frustrate his team mates or negate their strengths.

Think you might need to relook at your strategy of TB.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Agree 100% with your post. Of course balance is important but I have learned over the years that there are benefits to long 5 hour+ training rides that you just can't replicate with short high intensity training rides. Especially getting your body used to long hours in the saddle, physical & mental demands are just different on very long rides, even at low intensity.

Agree 100% with your post. Of course balance is important but I have learned over the years that there are benefits to long 5 hour+ training rides that you just can't replicate with short high intensity training rides. Especially getting your body used to long hours in the saddle, physical & mental demands are just different on very long rides, even at low intensity.

And dealing with nutritional intake..what works and what doesn't work for you. The only way to figure that out is on long training rides..

I get what Robert is saying though, that 23week program has multiple 3hour rides on weekdays during a single week..that's going to be near impossible to strictly follow with a full time job. But strangely the longest ride on that program is a 4 hour ride on a weekend. I'll shift it around a bit over that weeks in the program and do shorter sessions during the week and a longer 5-8 hour ride on the weekend.

And dealing with nutritional intake..what works and what doesn't work for you. The only way to figure that out is on long training rides..

I get what Robert is saying though, that 23week program has multiple 3hour rides on weekdays during a single week..that's going to be near impossible to strictly follow with a full time job. But strangely the longest ride on that program is a 4 hour ride on a weekend. I'll shift it around a bit over that weeks in the program and do shorter sessions during the week and a longer 5-8 hour ride on the weekend.

Where can i have a look at the program please?

That's exactly what I meant by balance, you need the interval training as well as the long 5+ hour rides to really get strong on the bike, especially if you are going for a hectic endurance event.