[Event] Trans Baviaans Race

Seamus Allardice

Is Langwater the one just after CP3? We got off our bikes and carried them overhead. That was a proper knee deep water crossing

Sensible thing do to .Unless you stand a change of winning the event it is better to walk this section . First of all you will minimise your risk of falling (not serious as you will fall into water);secondly you will not lose any significant time ;thirdly you will save yourself an expensive repair bill .If you look at the photos taken at this section , the hubs and bb's of the bikes of those who rode and pushed their bikes  were all submerged under the water .Those sealed bearings will never be the same again .

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a set of Eastons on my previous bike - a week after the Baviaans I had to replace the bearings at the back  :w00t:. This year I decided to cross Lang Water in the same fashion as what I did before  :stupid:. I just never learn  :lol:.

Sensible thing do to .Unless you stand a change of winning the event it is better to walk this section . First of all you will minimise your risk of falling (not serious as you will fall into water);secondly you will not lose any significant time ;thirdly you will save yourself an expensive repair bill .If you look at the photos taken at this section , the hubs and bb's of the bikes of those who rode and pushed their bikes  were all submerged under the water .Those sealed bearings will never be the same again .

Well what a ride. My 3rd Trans. Not sure what the others thought. My thoughts are roads were worse than last year but maybe not as bad as 2017 (don't know if I'm just handling the bike better than in 2017)

I thought the wind was better last year, seemed more from the side this time and a bit more gusty.

I managed to climb all the climbs  :clap: and we reached Bergplaas in daylight.  Super chuffed about that. Sun set while we were there though. We were a team of 4 and rode well together, there was always someone strong to follow and we all had our down moments. Its amazing how something like this is a bonding experience between strangers that become mates.

Managed 14:20, Now the Mrs wants to do it. The more I tell her how tough it was the more determined she gets. This ride is NOT the 947

Til next year Bergplass ^_^

What a great event!! I'm definitely coming back next year! I only got a entry 3 weeks ago, so my training was not nearly enough in the months leading up to the race. I only met my 3 team mates two weeks before the race.

Our initial aim was to finish in 14-16 hours, but I was feeling confident that we can make it in 14 hours with 12h30min moving time and 90mins total stoppage at checkpoints. I ended up doing just over 12hours moving time, but 5 hours + of stopping!!

The weaker rider in our team already started cracking at 80kms, and pushed every uphill onwards from CP2. It took some motivating from the rest of the team to convince him not to pull out of the race. On top of Baviaans Back, waited 30mins for him. On top of second Fang another 30mins.. at CP3 we took a bit more time for him to try and recover. We decided to start MAC together as a team, and he gave us permission to pedal to the top and wait for him at Bergplaas. We gladly took the time penalty at Bergplaas for arriving one team mate short. There we waited over an hour for him to arrive, plus another 45mins for him to recover. He was adamant that he already decided while walking up MAC that he is pulling out at Bergplaas. We convinced him it is downhill from Bergplaas to CP5 where his wife will be waiting, so he might as well continue instead of calling it quits. From Bergplaas we decided there is no point for us to pedal out in front and wait 30min for him every now and then, and from that point forward this will be a support ride from us to stay with him and making sure we get him to the end. At CP5 after seeing his wife and refueling his spirits improved a bit and we got him convinced that Neverender isn't so bad and he'll see his wife again at CP7. He still fell behind a bit on Neverender and Mini Mac, but we tried to keep the gaps smaller than 10mins and wait at the top of every climb to regroup. We finally went over the finish line at 03:20 in the morning. 17h20mins later!! Through all of this there was no tantrums thrown, no moaning, and the sense of humor never left our team. I think that was the key to get all 4 of us over the line together.

At least I never had to get off my bike to push, climbed MAC in 30mins, and finished still feeling quite strong with an average 40kmh tempo ride from Mini Mac to the singletrack section.

I have a bit of an unfinished business feeling hanging over me knowing that we still had something left in the tank when we crossed the line and missing our target by that much. So we'll just have to come back next year!

kudos on your team mate for completing. I have only done the TB in  4 man teams and we have a rule that no matter what we stick together. We have done many races and sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes the nail. I have learnt that riding next to a struggling team mate motivates him and when I am the nail I am constantly looking for someone to pace me when i struggle. 

How much of an issue is wet feet & shoes for the rest of the race after walking langwater? I guess you can at least put on some dry socks at CP4. I heard some people actually walked it barefoot.

How much of an issue is wet feet & shoes for the rest of the race after walking langwater? I guess you can at least put on some dry socks at CP4. I heard some people actually walked it barefoot.

You will get feet wet again between the two Fangs and some splashes in the lead-up to MAC. We always change socks at CP4. We also put some wetwipes in the box, helps to feel nice and fresh for the last stretch.

There are a couple of water crossings after the Big Dipper that you can slowly roll through without getting feet wet.

Don't bother putting dry socks in the crate for CP3. At CP4 I put on dry socks, plastic bags, and then shoes because my shoes were still wet. There is three or four shallow water crossings after Big Dipper, but you can avoid getting feet wet there. My toes were freezing on Never Ender even through the dry socks and plastic bags. The following morning my shoes were still wet. I'm due a new pair of shoes. Next year I'll throw dry shoes in the CP4 crate or get them at CP5 from support driver.

Thanks partner , was a great ride . Your patience much appreciated

My Team, well done you two, so bummed the lurgy kept me from starting with you!!

One and only Tandem to start and finish!

Socks at CP4 with toe caps to keep the digits warm, shoes should be dryish at CP4 already

Walked through the river after CP3 without shoes or socks. Bit sore on the feet with the rocks, but nicer with dryish feet afterwards.Rest of ride after CP 3 was a bit of a disaster with knee joint pains. Not sure if it was muscle strain, over hydration, tendinitis, too much salt or something else. It was not cramp though. Just over 17 hours with a lot of pushing in the second half. Not sure i will do it again as my body took a hammering this time. 

It is still stunning riding through the first part of the Kloof though.

Pack socks in each crate. It helps.

PS watch out for water puddles in the concrete after you climb out of the river crossing after CP3. There is a sneaky deep puddle with a slippery concrete edge that 3 people came down in that i saw. Hurt knees mostly.

Just had a look at the weather for this weekend. Let us hope the weather impoves :eek:  Still going to to be a fun ride :clap:

Here's a curveball. Myself and partners were feeling quite overheated and tired at CP3. After walking/riding through langwater I felt quite refreshed and cooled down. I think the wet feet helped to cool the body in preparation for MAC.

Apparently they have a headwind from the start. [emoji21][emoji2419]but with it being full moon it will be nice for the slower riders.