[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

It's actually not entirely like that any longer. Flew with my bike 2 years ago, you do rock up to check-in on the day, no need to go a week before. 

Saying that, I'd rather ship it with one of the transport companies, it's just not worth the hassle of trying to get your bike bag into a Picanto.

As to the first point, it looks like it depends upon the airline. It also looks like they have special arrangements for the Cape Town Cycle Tour, I guess because of volume. Certainly, Mango seems to require the bikes a few days before. And then of course, you still need to go and collect the thing at the airport, get it across to your hotel et cetera. And they tell you it will not be on the same flight as you. Really, more hassle than it's worth – bike transport company makes total sense for the money concerned. I just hope my bike is not damaged in any way, although it seems very unlikely given what I read, et cetera.

Edited by MudLark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am meeting some family from overseas in Cape Town (elderly relative needs to come for a specific medical checkup), so effectively killing two birds with one stone. Because of the family factor, my son and my wife are coming with me. We are all going to stay at the Southern Sun Waterfront. Which Is about 2 Km from Greenpoint. I had to look at Google Maps to figure out how I would be able to ride from the stadium to the hotel (which is pretty close to the starting point). So I reckon I will go pick up my bike probably on Saturday and then just doddle across back to the hotel. Not sure if it is safe to do that but I'm not seeing any choice. I guess after the race, I just return my bike again to the transport people (who will still be at the stadium) and then take an Uber back to the hotel. I am not at all familiar with Cape Town or it surrounds and I have no idea what this particular ride is going to be like. But I am quite looking forward to it.

Will be 100 % safe. It is a short pedal to your Hotel, going down Main rd (even got a cycle path for part of the way). In any case, there will be lots of cyclist around, going to and from the Stadium / Expo, so you will almost never be on your own.

Will be 100 % safe. It is a short pedal to your Hotel, going down Main rd (even got a cycle path for part of the way). In any case, there will be lots of cyclist around, going to and from the Stadium / Expo, so you will almost never be on your own.

Cool, thanks for that! Puts my mind at ease.

Guys, I suppose from a spectator perspective the most exciting places are the start line and the finish line? I am just thinking of my family who will be there for the weekend. They probably would not want to travel too far from the waterfront area given that they will be staying there and my one relative is quite elderly and not in great health but it will be nice for them to have some participation in events. Any particular thoughts?

Also, I was wondering whether there is a cyclist tracking facility for this particular event the way there is for 94.7? With 94.7, you can go onto website and see what cyclist has passed which particular point – or so I am told by my family who traced my progress 94.7.

Excellent! Thank you very, very much. That certainly helps somebody who doesn't know the area at all. I am going to print that and take it with me.

Mudlark, your hotel is quite close to the start, so they can take a saunter down to watch you set off. They will then have ample time to go for a lekker breakfast, before making their way to the finish opposite the Stadium.

Depending on how fit / mobile they are, it will be a nice stroll (to work off the breakfast :whistling: )

All quite safe, as there will be lots of other people, police and officials around. 

See now that one person is not in good health, so the taxi / uber / hotel shuttle will your answer then.

And yes, the cyclist tracking should be in operation, it was in previous years. 

Also, I was wondering whether there is a cyclist tracking facility for this particular event the way there is for 94.7? With 94.7, you can go onto website and see what cyclist has passed which particular point – or so I am told by my family who traced my progress 94.7.

Real-time tracking is tricky as cell signal isn't great on sections of the route on the southern peninsula. Not sure if nowadays they're exposing when cyclists go over the various timing mats out on the course, which would allow for a similar progress update as what you've mentioned for 94.7.

Real-time tracking is tricky as cell signal isn't great on sections of the route on the southern peninsula. Not sure if nowadays they're exposing when cyclists go over the various timing mats out on the course, which would allow for a similar progress update as what you've mentioned for 94.7.

Mentioned on a different thread, but check out the location sharing functionality of WhatsApp. Multiple people can share their locations to a group chat, which is useful for logistics in group rides or charity groups at these events.

Whenever your phone receives signal it will update the location, so I would think they would be able to see your location when it matters.

Just an option. Don't know about the data and battery usage rates. I will try it at our local race this saturday and will give feedback if I get interesting findings.

Mentioned on a different thread, but check out the location sharing functionality of WhatsApp. Multiple people can share their locations to a group chat, which is useful for logistics in group rides or charity groups at these events.

Whenever your phone receives signal it will update the location, so I would think they would be able to see your location when it matters.

Just an option. Don't know about the data and battery usage rates. I will try it at our local race this saturday and will give feedback if I get interesting findings.

I was wondering about suggesting WhatsApp location sharing, but wasn't sure if it updated your location or merely displayed the location that you were at when you shared.

Location sharing isn't an issue for me, my dog refuses to clean my bikes so I've removed her cellphone privileges [emoji39]

I was wondering about suggesting WhatsApp location sharing, but wasn't sure if it updated your location or merely displayed the location that you were at when you shared.

Location sharing isn't an issue for me, my dog refuses to clean my bikes so I've removed her cellphone privileges [emoji39]

"Share Live Location" is the one where it will continuously update...not just a static pin. :)