Fox Live Valve suspension

splat

the damping control claim, while true, is somewhat misleading: its digital, not analog. The electronics control a two-position system: damper closed or open. the holygrail could be analog whereby the control system is active during the interim between open and closed, not just the two extremes. but that's probably the next step. that should be something very interesting.

that said, it seems their digital control is attempting analog behaviour to some degree, similar to the way digital to analog allow binary signal systems to mimic analog (continuously variable) waveforms.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xtJ6IBxyyIo/ULbx6IIpvyI/AAAAAAAAAM0/2StuTn9v4u4/s1600/analog_digital.gif

Edited by Capricorn

the damping control claim, while true, is somewhat misleading: its digital, not analogy. The electronics control a two-position system: damper closed or open. the holygrail could be analog whereby the control system is active during the interim between open and closed, not just the two extremes. but that's probably the next step. that should be something very interesting.

that said, it seems their digital control is attempting analog behaviour to some degree, similar to the way digital to analog allow binary signal systems to mimic analog (continuously variable) waveforms.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xtJ6IBxyyIo/ULbx6IIpvyI/AAAAAAAAAM0/2StuTn9v4u4/s1600/analog_digital.gif

You mean it's binary.

With a fast enough cycle time, you approach the same thing.

I would think the capability is there, the limits are probably the damping control being switched too quickly. Got fluid to move

You mean it's binary.

With a fast enough cycle time, you approach the same thing.

I would think the capability is there, the limits are probably the damping control being switched too quickly. Got fluid to move

No, i dont think it's purely binary as those five response settings make it multi-valued logic system. For each response setting, it is however binary.

That's the problem with a valve that is either open or closed. You can't really approximate the interim flow rates properly. You could try, but mechanical devices have inherent response times which imply time delay or even deadbands. Whether it's necessary respond at that level is another story given how variable the MTB terrain is by default. But I guess that's what tyre pressure is for: to sweat the small stuff: leave the big stuff to my fancypants 555 timer :P

some experimentation by VitalMTB:

Edited by Capricorn

Oooh. This opens up a new area of quick response variable dampening systems. I hope they bring something out with ferromagnetic oil and adjustable magnet field eddy current systems. Or better yet. No oil. Just eddy current brakes with variable core magnet strength. Just when I thought we approached the shoulder region in the sigmoid curve.

Edited by PKotze

I doubt many pro's will run this and only the very very rich will be able to afford it 

and don't tell me it will trickle down , are you going to put live valve on your bottom of the range grip 32 ? 

i don't think so 

Yes, but the response time is far shorter. 0.1 sec on E.I vs 0.003 on the live valve. Difference is essentially down to servo vs magnetic actuation, from what I can tell.

I'm just thinking that there must be a reason why in six years they haven't tried to imporove on their design from 2012.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the suspension accidently locking whilst in the air. The ride might become less predictable that to what we are used to.

I'm just thinking that there must be a reason why in six years they haven't tried to imporove on their design from 2012.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the suspension accidently locking whilst in the air. The ride might become less predictable that to what we are used to.

That was rockshox this is Fox and rather than fully locking I think it just ramps up low speed compression ( edit I have not read anything about it cause I think it's a massive waste)

and with regards to jumping it uses A three axis accelerometer which can detect when the bike is in the air and then it opens the the system completely 

Like many other bits and pieces - awesome tech that I'd gladly take it if it was given to me, but I am not gonna spend the money on it.

Exciting stuff none the less.