Budget dropper post

Zorro5614

when you clamp the post, pressure is only applied at one point. That pressure is transferred to the shim and to the post itself. If the shim ovalises it places uneven pressure on the body of the post, more so than if the post was clamped directly meaning that the post can ovalise down where the bushings are . If that happens then the post is going to see high wear and stiction.

This is why most dropper manufacturers recommend no t using a shim to size the post to the frame but to rather purchase the correct size post for the frame.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree here. Besides from the possible (but probably not world ending) issues with shims, why would you knowingly go that route when you can just buy the right size from the start?

Only reason I have/would use a shim is if I bought a new frame and had an existing dropper.

Just buy the right size from the start.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The right size one is 1st prize.

Using a shim is NO problem at all - seriously !!!

But you need to use the CORRECT shim.

One that wraps almost all the way around the post  and not just a 1/4 way.

Anything less than 7/8ths around is not a shim but like a wedge.

Also not more than once around.

Stry nou.

Edited by porqui

I"ve shim'd on my droppers with lyne and Giant without worry. As for posts Lyne and Rapide are both great. The Rapide is a steal and Lyne and Rapide can be serviced unlike the brand x (I believe) and both have killer customer service. 

If I were buying a R3K post I'd get a one up as it's adjustable by 50mm. They come in 150 and 170 lengths so if you can get the max drop for your stand over. Also move bikes with a lower stand over - keep the post.

I've had nothing but issues with the giants in terms of reliability but other reports say that they have sorted that out. Giant give a 1 year warranty.  

Edited by hellocolour

Can't go wrong with Rapide or Lyne. Both great products and service. Both have local warranty and spares available.

The shim is no problem, it wraps around the post so will distribute the force evenly. One plus for a shim is that you can fit a 30.9mm post to a 31.6mm frame with a shim, but not the other way. That's if you feel you ever might swap the post in the future.

The Rapide shims wrap around about the post about 90-95% (& I'm sure Lyne's & many other brands do as well).

Don't see any ovalization happening when using those shims.

I am using a Rapide shim on a KS dropper without any issue.

On a side note: Never overtighten a seat clamp when using a dropper post. The sidewalls of the tubes are fairly thin to save weight. 

Over tightening the seat clamp will distort the dropper's sidewall & posts will perform sluggish or not fully extend.

Always use a torque wrench to tighten the seat clamp. Range is around 5-7 Nm

See manufacturer's specs.

I have a couple of friends that decided to rather replace their Reverbs with Rapide posts than fork out R1800 for a reverb service. Now they don't know why they ever rode reverbs in the first place. The rapide 1x lever is a massive plus. Shims are no issue whatsoever

I have a couple of friends that decided to rather replace their Reverbs with Rapide posts than fork out R1800 for a reverb service. Now they don't know why they ever rode reverbs in the first place. The rapide 1x lever is a massive plus. Shims are no issue whatsoever

Thanks just what I wanted to hear.  I know a lot op people use Lyne droppers and the quality is good.  I know Rapide components are good, but you don't hear about a lot of people the use their dropper posts

I don't see the point in spending more the price of a Lyne or Rapide or any other similar post but under a different brand. High cost posts don't do the job better nor are they lighter. The Reverb is clever but not enough to justify it's price IMO.

Big bonus is that the price of rigid posts is coming down

You could go either Lyne or Rapide. Have a closer look and you will see it has the exact same housing and possibly cartridge. Both super reliable and low cost. I have. Reverb and the cost of a service/rebuild was half of the cost of a new Rapide...

I"ve shim'd on my droppers with lyne and Giant without worry. As for posts Lyne and Rapide are both great. The Rapide is a steal and Lyne and Rapide can be serviced unlike the brand x (I believe) and both have killer customer service. 

If I were buying a R3K post I'd get a one up as it's adjustable by 50mm. They come in 150 and 170 lengths so if you can get the max drop for your stand over. Also move bikes with a lower stand over - keep the post.

I've had nothing but issues with the giants in terms of reliability but other reports say that they have sorted that out. Giant give a 1 year warranty.

I agree, I would absolutely endorse the One Up dropper. Well priced, great lever, travel adjust. And brilliant service from Trail-Tech.

One Up does look great, but at R4 500 the Rapide is a steal at R1 800.

My bike is mainly XC so don't really need more than 120/125mm travel

Edited by Zorro5614

Using a Rapide shim on my Lyne dropper as I couldn't get a dropper with the amount of travel I wanted in the seat tube diameter for my frame. Been riding with it for about a year and NO issues at all. And I use it a lot...