Scott Scale 940 surgery (an average guys project bike on an average guys salary)

partydave

I have a 2012 Scott Scale 940. It's a bike. It's called Krummels and it's been abused. Not much more to say about it other than it's treated me very well over the years.

She has been selected from a large group of 2 bikes to carry me through a gravel stage race with unforgiving climbs in December. She needs to behave nicely, so she will receive some much needed TLC.

post-68382-0-80687500-1538742286_thumb.jpg

My main objective is to make the bike climb better, be lighter and not fall apart. 

What I've done thusfar:

Weight savings

Swapped the 720mm for a 600mm 

Swapped lock-on grips for foams

Replaced steel bottle cage for carbon cage

Replaced Spez GC tyres for Merida Racelites

Swapped 3x10 for 1x10

Removed front brake lever and caliper. Avid Elixer fronts are piss poor anyway

Climbing

Trained a little

On next weeks episode: Dave strips his bike to prepare for a paint job that will leave him wanting more of the old paint job because the new one looks like toss

Disclaimer: This is an ongoing thread. If I stop posting, I've lost interest and finally bought the Evil I have been making eyes at

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your have taken the front brake off and put narrower bars on.

Are you not planning on descending these massive climbs?  :huh:

Which brakes do the most work?

Which brakes are the most effective?

You have no front derailleur so why not remove rear brake too and use foot - that's what I did as a kid. Could skid my bike around and face the other way good for switchbacks.

Avid Avid fan.

Weight savings

Lost about 11.6g and gained increased instability and out of proportion aesthetics :ph34r: :clap:

A couple of items have been ordered from China and en-route.

HTB1w9rsf1GSBuNjSspbq6AiipXaF.jpg

HTB16dj3jfBNTKJjSszcq6zO2VXaI.jpg?size=5

HTB1VZtUKFXXXXaBXVXXq6xXFXXX4.jpg

They may not be high-end or pricey, but I don't play golf ;)

Yes, there is a good possibility one of the vital carbon parts may break, causing me to speed wobble over my bars, but it's a calculated risk I've not done my maths on properly 

Which brakes do the most work?

Which brakes are the most effective?

You have no front derailleur so why not remove rear brake too and use foot - that's what I did as a kid. Could skid my bike around and face the other way good for switchbacks.

Avid Avid fan.

For the type of riding I do, rear brakes. Almost never use front brakes thanks to an OTB accident in my early years

Lost about 11.6g and gained increased instability and out of proportion aesthetics :ph34r: :clap:

Exactly what I was going for

So....You've saved maybe 200g...But you don't have a front brake, and you are probably more than 200g overweight... 

You calling me fat bru?

I took the front brakes off one of my bikes once. I was 3 seconds into a ride when I realized what I had done was the stupidest thing of my life. Good luck to you.

Have not needed them yet, so there's that.

No trails or descents to speak of here. Decembers race is an up and up, back brake will suffice.

Edit: putting them back on is a 10 minute exercise. Not like I'm grinding off the caliper mount. Wait, how much to caliper mounts weigh? 

You need to learn how to use front brakes. Your stopping power from the front is much better.

I would never trade safety for weight.

Have not needed them yet, so there's that.

No trails or descents to speak of here. Decembers race is an up and up, back brake will suffice.

Edit: putting them back on is a 10 minute exercise. Not like I'm grinding off the caliper mount. Wait, how much to caliper mounts weigh? 

What happens if your back brake fails/develops a problem .... that is the other reason to have two brakes ;). In general as with life sh*t happens ... you'd hate to crash out near the end - or take out another rider.

I would keep the front mech and run 2x10. 

Climbs might be a little tough with the current setup

Weight savings

Swapped lock-on grips for foams

Replaced steel bottle cage for carbon cage

Replaced Spez GC tyres for Merida Racelites

Swapped 3x10 for 1x10

Removed front brake lever and caliper. Avid Elixer fronts are piss poor anyway

Climbing

Trained a little

Archived