Jumping lights

Andreas_187

Well, anc ex joburg mayor parks tau had the right idea regarding creating cycle lanes between alex and sandton central, as part of the requirement to be elected for the international mayoral committee. He badly implemented probably the worst cycling infrastructure in parts of joburg.

There is a huge requirement for cycling infrastructure between townships and cbds. We the recreational cyclist is but a small percentage of cycling road users.

Look at Beyers naude in the mornings, and how cyclists gets pushed off the road by yellow lane driving maniacs. There are numerous arterial feeder roads with commuters taking their lives into their own hamds. And they are not cycling to the cbd, they are cycling to low paying jobs in the burbs.

For us to benefit from cycling infrastructure it needs to fill a broader need than john wanting to do his 94.7 training without getting murdered by drunk driving all nighters.

Sorry for the hijack... But do you know what else we need, I think more than cycle lanes (I know this is going against the vibe of this forum) but pavements/sidewalks. For a city population that so heavily depends on walking to places (after using public transport), we have catastrophic pavement infrastructure.

I only really found out a while back, I ran from north of Fourways down to Parktown North. 20 odd km's, maybe 18 of which had to be in the road because of the state of the side of the roads, and these were big main roads in populous suburbs. Didn't stand a chance.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is why I find it particularly sad that the first major properly designed dedicated cycle lane in Cape Town, the West Coast one, is now in effect blockaded at the city end because of poor policing, muggings, robberies and crime and grime. The City of Cape Town built it. Then let the fences be broken, let homeless and criminal elements in, and seem unable, unwilling or simply don't care to fix the problem. There is no sense in building a fantastic 30 km long cycle lane to the city and then allowing a ambush alley to develop at the city end of it where cyclists are attacked regularly. :(

Just use the N1 for last bit

Sorry for the hijack... But do you know what else we need, I think more than cycle lanes (I know this is going against the vibe of this forum) but pavements/sidewalks. For a city population that so heavily depends on walking to places (after using public transport), we have catastrophic pavement infrastructure.

I only really found out a while back, I ran from north of Fourways down to Parktown North. 20 odd km's, maybe 18 of which had to be in the road because of the state of the side of the roads, and these were big main roads in populous suburbs. Didn't stand a chance.

Waste of money.

In Cape Town, at least, pedestrians walk in the road. Often into traffic or wherever they please.

And taxis and delivery bikes ride on the pavement.

Yes! Where there are sidewalks, every 15 meters there's an open manhole, uprooted paving or stagnant water that doesn't drain away.

I was reminded of this yesterday when I wanted to go onto the pavement to pass a truck up a hill, but thankfully noticed a whole section of pavement destroyed and would have broken a wheel at least!

Well, that's the messed up thing about SA. There are such gaping holes in our society, and this is reflected in our infrastructure.

Town planning is a mess, road infrastructure is left to Developers, who do the absolute minimum, resulting great intersections, with bits of potholed, single lane road in between.

But we want cycle lanes.

Nevermind the disregard for the most basic road rules. Lets not get started on that.

Well, that's the messed up thing about SA. There are such gaping holes in our society, and this is reflected in our infrastructure.

Town planning is a mess, road infrastructure is left to Developers, who do the absolute minimum, resulting great intersections, with bits of potholed, single lane road in between.

But we want cycle lanes.

Nevermind the disregard for the most basic road rules. Lets not get started on that.

Rather spend money on cycle lanes than roads, get people to ride more, it’s quick and easier than normal roads

First we need public transport lanes/dropoff areas. 

Otherwise I think we know who will dominate the cycle lanes.

Easy to burn busses, hard to burn cycle lanes, you just make them 8cm too narrow for taxis

Easy to burn busses, hard to burn cycle lanes, you just make them 8cm too narrow for taxis

Theres no such thing  :devil:

I never cross a green traffic light unless I am sure that it is safe to do so.  The same applies to a red light.

(If it is impossible for me to proceed, mostly due to traffic density, I practice my track stand.)

Those who have problems with crossing red lights should never do the Jozi Hustle. 

Question.... If a cyclist on "Jozi Hustle" goes through a red robot and a "slightly" speeding vehicle hits them and the result is not good what will all the "Jozi Hustle" people have to say about this. I am actually just looking for your opinion on this.

Oh, I am sorry, I made a mistake.  I now realize bicycle accidents (and death) never happen during a race or a training ride as long cyclists abide to the rules of the road.  Maybe you should re-read my comment: I (You should) never cross a green traffic light unless I am (you are) sure that it is safe to do so.  The same applies to a red light.

We should all take responsibility for our actions.  Rules are there for those that cannot make their own.

.You mean like the cyclists riding three abreast dominate the left hand lane of the road?

Oh, I am sorry, I made a mistake.  I now realize bicycle accidents (and death) never happen during a race or a training ride as long cyclists abide to the rules of the road.  Maybe you should re-read my comment: I (You should) never cross a green traffic light unless I am (you are) sure that it is safe to do so.  The same applies to a red light.

We should all take responsibility for our actions.  Rules are there for those that cannot make their own.

Wrong, rules were made for everyone. 

.You mean like the cyclists riding three abreast dominate the left hand lane of the road?

Like every other road user...

Archived