Two cyclists hit in one day - 13/10/2018

Jay87

Good Question! Cyclist have right of way as there is a sign up but 9 out of 10 the cars just turn left in front of cyclist. 

So you have to ride your bicycle like no one can see you ever in this country.

I also believe that cyclists have right of way there.

But I still approach and look for cars in the left lane with indicators on.

I try to make eye contact and have had the occasional gesture for me to continue cycling.

Bottom line, I just don't take anything for granted anymore.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way, I live in Sea Point. Main road is an absolute dog show. Two very narrow lanes, cars everywhere, people too. There's actually no need to ride it most times - Beach Rd is far safer and no taxis. 

Not a criticism, just an observation that might help someone reading this.

It was on Beach Rd. Corner of Milton and Beach.

On another note, who has right of way on the cycling lane around Sunset Beach?

If I'm going straight ahead at the traffic lights and there's a car (heading same direction to Table View) wanting to make a left turn. Do I as cyclist have to stop for the car to make his turn or do I still have right of way because I'm heading straight? 

Does it matter? Since we are the vulnerable parties on a bicycle, whether we have right of way or not is superceded by the fact that when you are hit by a vehicle, you are not going to emerge as the winner.

Thus, speaking for myself here, I would stop.

But then, I got a trip to the Blaauwberg Netcare ER courtesy of a moron who decided to pop a stop in front of me in his volvo at the Otto Du Plessis Kentucky by Marine Circle. I had right of way. The driver did a runner since I was dazed and concussed. He just left me there.

In SA when driving or cycling on the roads I didn't take anything for granted. Not even a green traffic light. Had a friend who was T-boned in his car one night by someone who ran a red light. My friend was in hospital for 3 months and still walking with crutches 6 months after that.

Fair or not, reasonable or not, I wasn't prepared to risk that sort of injury on the basis that I was 'in the right".

Occasionally I'd forget and have a close shave, then I'd remember again for a time.

Cyclist don't stop at red robots...... How's a stop sign going to make them stop [emoji6]

read it again - Cyclists have a yield sign on that path, not a stop sign. typical indicisive CoCT - we have to yield for motorists who have stopped a stop sign. 

Edited by Andy Arnesan

I lift my hand in 'what are you doing?' fashion and I get a middle finger in return.

Same thing happened to me yesterday. You can only shake your head and continue riding.

This morning, every single car on Chappies was speeding. I dont understand, when your wheels start squeeling on your shitty i10, its a sign. 

This morning, every single car on Chappies was speeding. I dont understand, when your wheels start squeeling on your shitty i10, its a sign.

I don't know what's worse, speeding cars or the motorists who try and see how close they can get to hitting you when there's no oncoming traffic.

I don't know what's worse, speeding cars or the motorists who try and see how close they can get to hitting you when there's no oncoming traffic.

Sometimes they try both...

We also had an incident last week where 2 of our club members was struct by a car in Edenvale. The car approached them head on and they got hit. 1 is still in ICU and other one already out and about

To give an update on the above incident posted by Charles.

Unfortunately the one guy has passed away. 

The incident happened on the morning of Thursday the 11th and on Tuesday the 16th the family agreed to take him off life support due to no brain movement since the accident. He went into surgery the same day to relieve pressure on the brain but unfortunately the damage was just too much. May you RideInPiece WP.

This was also a hit and run shortly before 06h00. The car that hit them was overtaking another car and hit them head on.

The incident happened on the morning of Thursday the 11th and on Tuesday the 16th the family agreed to take him off life support due to no brain movement since the accident. He went into surgery the same day to relieve pressure on the brain but unfortunately the damage was just too much. May you RideInPiece WP.

This was also a hit and run shortly before 06h00. The car that hit them was overtaking another car and hit them head on.

Terrible news :( 

RIP

That's why I run now, sad but I can't risk my life on the road. 

I also often see such close misses while driving and the car in front doesn't pass nicely. 

I run alot too, I don't even call myself a cyclist anymore cause I run more but it's just peoples attitudes towards anyone else but them. Not even a red light at a pedestrian crossing makes people stop anymore!! The number of times people have seen me late and then put up their hands to apologies like WTF is that suppose to mean? Oh sorry I almost killed you?

I had some argy bargy with a lady who rolled over a stop sign clearly looking for a gap in the traffic she nearly shat herself when she saw me a slammed the brakes. Very apologetic about it but unfortunately for her it was about the 4th time it happened in one run home. I then gave her a bit of my mind and she told me I was being an asshole I then said to her that I hope the next person stops in time for any member of her family which kept her quiet. She pulled away and again apologised which I accepted. About 500m down the road she pulled over to fetch her kid and I moved closer to her to explain that I'm sorry she got an earful from me but it happens too many times. 

Sad to hear.

RIP cyclist, condolences to the family and friends.