Events you are missing because they are no more...

Rouxenator

Just now, Jbr said:

or maybe by Karens not happy because they didn't have coke and medals at the end ?

Someone told me they lost their sponsor and the local Lions club felt it wasn't financially worth the effort to host the race without one

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

The road race through West Coast national park was also an underappreciated event. Mostly full road closures through a nature reserve next to the sea during spring. 

Another event killed off by covid 🙁

This was a pretty cool event as well. Would be great if they revived it.

22 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Cape Cobra - A race with so much climbing the winning time is below 34km/h avg speed... I miss this one the most!

Is this the one that went over Boyd’s drive, Black Hill, Red Hill & the longer side of Ou Kaapse?

There was another race that also went over the steeper side of Ou Kaapse Weg right at the start. Pity all these races have just fallen away and everything moved to Durbanville, wellington side.

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Is this the one that went over Boyd’s drive, Black Hill, Red Hill & the longer side of Ou Kaapse?

Yip. Ending on top of Ou Kaaps. 👌

40 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

The road race through West Coast national park was also an underappreciated event. Mostly full road closures through a nature reserve next to the sea during spring. 

Another event killed off by covid 🙁

Last time I did that ride a few of us got taken out by a Ostrich... man that was bizarre. Fortunately I ended in the bos and not on the black stuff.

Nope dont miss that one.

The races in the south were all pretty sick with decent climbs... 

Cobra, rollercoaster and baycity. 

7 minutes ago, babse said:

just like you my last one ended me and another rider getting taken out by a motorbike... i still miss that one though...

5 hours ago, babse said:

the Four passes also on that list.

that was my introduction, either:

start at Falsebay rugby club with an immediate burn up constantia nek and finish at constantia village

or

start at that maths school and klap main road knowing you had oukaaps to finish.

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

the Four passes also on that list.

that was my introduction, either:

start at Falsebay rugby club with an immediate burn up constantia nek and finish at constantia village

or

start at that maths school and klap main road knowing you had oukaaps to finish.

Probably before my time...

The Mast Challenge is another unique event that happened in Tokai.

• 1 month later...

Audi Claremont Club 100 Time Trial, back in 2007…

I was involved in the organisation, so never go to ride it, (real pity), but the route was a cool route: 40km, starting inside the controlled environs of Soetwater (Kommetjie) for a km or 2, out of the gate, right turn on to the coastal road, right turn at bottom of Red Hill , staying on coast road, around Cape Point Nature Reserve Circle, and a hammer-fest back to Soetwater. 

We got 114-odd entrants, for the first- and only - AUDI Time Trial, and I was proud of my slogan contribution on the posters;

You KNOW your Argus time…

Do you know your Audi time…! (meaning; how many riders know their actual 40km TT time!)

Would like to have participated, alas I was organising, I think we should plan another one, MINIMAL Traffic Police involvement, since just a SINGLE road crossing on the way out, and a SINGLE road crossing at turnaround point…

Chris

Edited by Zebra
Clarity