Five cyclists injured in Durban hit and run

Vetseun

Just to set the record straight. The accident occurred a few hundred meters after the umhlanga m4 on ramp Ballito bound

. It is permissible to ride on this stretch of road.

Team BATSALANI

Glad your guys are okay and thanks for the insights... any more info on the incident? Any info on the driver at all? Hope they catch the coward

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never knew that you were allowed to flee the scene of accident if the people you ran over were not supposed to be there. So one learns.

It's this shitty "Don't care and not taking responsibility for my own actions" attitude of most South Africans these days.

It's this shitty "Don't care and not taking responsibility for my own actions" attitude of most South Africans these days.

Like people who drive too fast through supermarket/shopping center car parks with the attitude that people walking too & from their cars should not be "walking on the roads". 

I’m sure a number of U are curious about the status of our riders from today. Below is an update:

Cass : Stitches to hand. Discharged

Shiran: bruising on hip. Discharged

Avi: Slight fracture above elbow. Bad bruising on upper thigh . Discharged (whilst butt wrapped in a theatre gown)

Shafique: stitches to head. Still smiling. Discharged

Faheem: Fractured thumb and bruising especially on hand. went to theatre and had it reset. Gash on forehead. Went for CT scan at 8pm. Admitted to hospital

Ozair: bad bruising on upper thigh and lower back. Pain on neck/back (will leave it to the doctors to explain this better). Concussion. Admitted for observation overnight. He remembered his wife’s name....so he should be fine

We pray for a speedy recovery for all injured today.

Thanking you all for the concern. Team BATSALANI

Glad to hear there were no life threatening injuries.Heal up soon[emoji106]

I'm going to suggest it's worldwide hey. it's a messed-up place we live in

I'm going to suggest it's worldwide hey. it's a messed-up place we live in

It is world wide, but it’s a on spectrum.

In SA we care less about other people than many other countries.

to add something here....on ANY PUBLIC ROAD,can we as cyclists respect the fact that motorists are also using this road so RIDE IN SINGLE FILE.Just helps all concerned i think.Even in the suburbs as well.   

to add something here....on ANY PUBLIC ROAD,can we as cyclists respect the fact that motorists are also using this road so RIDE IN SINGLE FILE.Just helps all concerned i think.Even in the suburbs as well.   

THIS !!!  :thumbup:

I can see where this comment will go: The victims were partially at fault. If they were riding in single file, they wouldn't have been hit.

Unless you were there and saw what happened, your comment should be on a different thread. It has merit, but not right here on this thread.

Your concern should be about the motorist leaving the scene of an accident and the well being of the 5 cyclists who were injured.

My understanding of the highway/freeway difference is that green boards - you can ride, blue you can't.  Example N2 Durban to Port Shepstone no go, Port Shepstone to Port Edward you can ride.

I can see where this comment will go: The victims were partially at fault. If they were riding in single file, they wouldn't have been hit.

Unless you were there and saw what happened, your comment should be on a different thread. It has merit, but not right here on this thread.

Your concern should be about the motorist leaving the scene of an accident and the well being of the 5 cyclists who were injured.

I hope the driver is apprehended. Sadly in Durban drinking and driving is a new pastime. If you ride out before 5am the parties are still raging on the side of the road! The revellers need to still climb into the cars they are dancing next to and go home...

I think the silly season is upon us down here and the M4 is a death trap as a result - regardless of whether you are allowed to be on it or not.

Be safe out there.

I hope the driver is apprehended. Sadly in Durban drinking and driving is a new pastime. If you ride out before 5am the parties are still raging on the side of the road! The revellers need to still climb into the cars they are dancing next to and go home...

I think the silly season is upon us down here and the M4 is a death trap as a result - regardless of whether you are allowed to be on it or not.

Be safe out there.

Nothing new about this. When I was very young and very stupid we used to drive to Durban from PMB, drink all night, have a swim in the morning and then drive home. Nobody I knew ever considered the ramifications of drinking and driving, I am very embarrassed to say. Thank god I grew up at some stage and stopped being so stupid.

Hi

I am one of the riders in the group, infact i was just behind the first guy to get hit and just went to the front of the group.

firstly - From Umhlanga North, cyclist are allowed, there are signs to show cyclist ahaed, all cyclist in Durban will tell you this. 

secoundly - we were 20+ in the group riding in the yellow lane which is close to 2m wide and that part of the road has a big yellow lane and 2 lanes for cars and the road is flat and straight.

All the guys are doing well and recovering, 3 were kept over night for observation, 1 got discharged this morning.

The guy was drunk or on his phone, the first 2 weekends after pay day is always crazy outside the clubs.

We are just grateful that the Almight saved us and this could have been much worse

Hi

I am one of the riders in the group, infact i was just behind the first guy to get hit and just went to the front of the group.

firstly - From Umhlanga North, cyclist are allowed, there are signs to show cyclist ahaed, all cyclist in Durban will tell you this. 

secoundly - we were 20+ in the group riding in the yellow lane which is close to 2m wide and that part of the road has a big yellow lane and 2 lanes for cars and the road is flat and straight.

All the guys are doing well and recovering, 3 were kept over night for observation, 1 got discharged this morning.

The guy was drunk or on his phone, the first 2 weekends after pay day is always crazy outside the clubs.

We are just grateful that the Almight saved us and this could have been much worse

Glad to hear that you are all doing okay. I have been hit by a car twice. One driver left the scene but was later arrested. The other driver did stop. It is traumatic so I know how you guys feel.

Best of luck with your recoveries. I hope that the perp is aprehended and punished accordingly.

It seems to be the default setting when cars hit cyclists to flee the scene.  As a society, how is it we have gotten so low to abandon injured or dying people whose harm we have caused?  In SA it is highly unlikely for major consequences to be visited on the driver, so I can't see it being fear of imprisonment or other  penalty motivating this behaviour, but I really don't know. 

I agree with Mojo - make the penalty for hit and run SO hectic that these bastads actually stop, even if its for self-interest

They can't get it right in the UK, so I don't see us going much better here in SA

https://road.cc/content/news/251244-most-drivers-fatal-collisions-cyclists-avoid-jail-says-cycling-uk-research

Archived