The Veganism Thread

Odinson

A real question I've always wandered about. Do Vegans wear leather shoes? Belts? Leather seats in their cars? Wallets, handbags?

This question will get side stepped better than Danie Gerber. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This question will get side stepped better than Danie Gerber. 

No sidestepping, neither my wife nor I use leather products any more.

Funnily enough, a year later and I'm still clothed and breathing.

A real question I've always wandered about. Do Vegans wear leather shoes? Belts? Leather seats in their cars? Wallets, handbags?

It's for every person themselves to decide, but as a general rule, no. 

The 'vegan leather' industry is massive and you can get proper belts, shoes, handbags, etc. 

I got this beautiful Sea Shepherd card wallet just two weeks ago: 

sea167_front2.jpg

Made out of cork. 

There's always alternatives.  

The 'vegan leather' industry is massive and you can get proper belts, shoes, handbags, etc. 

sea167_front2.jpg

Made out of cork. 

And it floats  :thumbup:

So, because the actions of others do not align to your world view, it's okay to trivialize and mock it? 

What were you saying to Mousea on the Lady Pros thread about double standards? Are you not applying the same double standard here? 

It's got nothing to do with how those actions align with my world view and everything to do with logic.

If you're going to have an issue with trace amounts of tallow in a 5 pound note then you shouldn't have children, use a flushing toilet, type on a computer or wear clothes as all of those things directly and indirectly kill animals.

I'm all for vegans being vegans and eating whatever they like but when they try and insert their belief system onto others (like removing trace amounts of tallow from bank notes or jehovahs witnesses) then they can go and get knotted.

It's got nothing to do with how those actions align with my world view and everything to do with logic.

If you're going to have an issue with trace amounts of tallow in a 5 pound note then you shouldn't have children, use a flushing toilet, type on a computer or wear clothes as all of those things directly and indirectly kill animals.

I'm all for vegans being vegans and eating whatever they like but when they try and insert their belief system onto others (like removing trace amounts of tallow from bank notes or jehovahs witnesses) then they can go and get knotted.

There's tallow in Jehova's Witnesses?! I just murdered and ate one last week! #notvegan

I understand what you are trying to say. However, what you should keep in mind is that many times when folks raise their voice about these issues, it's to challenge the status quo. People feel that there is a moral and ethical impetus to look for new solutions to existing problems, where we can take animal products out of the equation.

There's tallow in Jehova's Witnesses?! I just murdered and ate one last week! #notvegan

I understand what you are trying to say. However, what you should keep in mind is that many times when folks raise their voice about these issues, it's to challenge the status quo. People feel that there is a moral and ethical impetus to look for new solutions to existing problems, where we can take animal products out of the equation.

Agreed and maybe the whole point was just to raise awareness but the engineer in me thinks that trace amounts means that a bull or two had to die for all of the UK's banknotes - if you're into saving animals there must be a billion other things that will save more animals for less effort.

No sidestepping, neither my wife nor I use leather products any more.

Funnily enough, a year later and I'm still clothed and breathing.

Legit question real quick:

I have some leather products that are nearly 10years old , my grandfather has belts and wallets that are older than me 

so it's nearly a buy once and never again type deal , but plastics cotton and other tecstiles( dunno how to spell that word ) which need land to grow and produce destroy habitats and often in very poor countries use child labour to produce these things 

and we go through these cheapo products every year which fuels the need for producing them

so whats the verdict ? I'm not dictating anyone just asking an opinion 

that super old cow's leather could make products that last a whole lot longer than the stuff available on most shelves today 

sea167_front2.jpg

Made out of cork. 

okay I guess ignore the above post now  :D

Legit question real quick:

I have some leather products that are nearly 10years old , my grandfather has belts and wallets that are older than me 

so it's nearly a buy once and never again type deal , but plastics cotton and other tecstiles( dunno how to spell that word ) which need land to grow and produce destroy habitats and often in very poor countries use child labour to produce these things 

and we go through these cheapo products every year which fuels the need for producing them

so whats the verdict ? I'm not dictating anyone just asking an opinion 

that super old cow's leather could make products that last a whole lot longer than the stuff available on most shelves today 

Honestly, leather is a hard one for me because it doesn't crack like synthetic leather and lasts much longer.

Still, my personal choice is I don't use it if I can avoid it and so far I have been able to. I have not had to buy work shoes for a while so will need to look at my options then. I have several pairs of On Running shoes which are vegan fortunately...

Edited by FrankG

My wife got me one of these for Christmas and I'm not even a vegan :-)

Ugh. 26". 

Honestly, leather is a hard one for me because it doesn't crack like synthetic leather and lasts much longer.

Still, my personal choice is I don't use it if I can avoid it and so far I have been able to. I have not had to buy work shoes for a while so will need to look at my options then. I have several pairs of On Running shoes which are vegan fortunately...

I'm due for some new work/dress shoes, so I need to start looking for those. Been eyeing Noah, an Italian vegan shoes/handbags/etc. producer. 

Pretty snazzy looking, but somewhat dear. 

https://youtu.be/p1n0oSa5ru8

Edited by Odinson

I'm due for some new work/dress shoes, so I need to start looking for those. Been eyeing Noah, an Italian vegan shoes/handbags/etc. producer. 

Pretty snazzy looking, but somewhat dear. 

https://youtu.be/p1n0oSa5ru8

Cheers for that, will definitely have a look after work.

I simply cannot understand why people would like to complicate things for themselves.

Brexit

Riding the Epic with fatbike

Trying to figure out what to use to make shoes from

Seems to me like trying to reinvent the wheel.

Why make an issue of trying to be different?

Surely you wouldn't use synthetic leather that has PVC in it.. can't save the animals and help kill the earth..all that petrolium that goes into plastic[emoji848]

Edit..all the water that is used and pollution that goes hand in hand with the production?

Edited by Gen