The Veganism Thread

Odinson

, I promise you the quality and range of meat and dairy alternatives is significantly different nowadays   :D 

This is the part I will never understand, why if you don't want to eat meat do you then go out and find something that tastes like meat?

Edited by Mousea

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A vegetarian/vegan diet wouldnt work for me, I cant eat things like pasta and breads no matter how "whole grain" they claim to be.

I get that people who are dong it love it and all of that but clearly it isnt for everyone.

My brother and sister in law have been vegan for many years now, they seem happy doing it but i can see what a mission it is for them sometimes to find things to eat when we are out.

I don't mind pasta, but it must be a meaty pasta. The Mrs and I had Brisket Pasta the other night. Chicken Alfredo is also lekker.

B12: Found in nature, washed off of plant foods by producers and filtered out of drinking water. Virtually all people should be supplementing B12

Say what? 

A vegetarian/vegan diet wouldnt work for me, I cant eat things like pasta and breads no matter how "whole grain" they claim to be.

I get that people who are dong it love it and all of that but clearly it isnt for everyone.

My brother and sister in law have been vegan for many years now, they seem happy doing it but i can see what a mission it is for them sometimes to find things to eat when we are out.

If you think pasta and bread are the two main vegan foods then you're speaking to the wrong vegans!

We make curries, soups, wraps, boboties, salads etc none have pasta or bread (the wraps do).

Veggies have a big YUCK factor in SA - maybe because our parents forced us to eat them - but scratch the surface and there is a world of delicious food out there that has zero meat.

Pasta is no no for vegans - there is egg in it.

Being vegetarian is quite easy - you just cut out meat - being vegan is a whole other ball game - you cut out ALL animal products, that means no traditional cakes (egg), nothing with cheese or milk, jelly sweets etc etc,

Good question!

First off, kudos on taking your health in your own hands and making some changes.

Straight off the bat, a vegan/plant-based diet should only be as difficult as you choose it to be. There are perhaps some people that want to try it out and then set difficult standards, that will be discouraging over time. It's not about the acai bowls and spirulina smoothies you'll find on IG. For me, for most of my meals I eat like a pauper. I focus on a diversity of plant foods, so lots of grains, greens (leafy and cruciferous), legumes, veggies and to a lesser extent fatty foods, like nuts, seeds and fats. These types of foods are cheap as chips and available everywhere. You'll really have to be in the sticks not to find a can of beans and some potatoes. If you're new to this type of eating and try to replicate typical meals with meat replacements, you could, depending on where you live, run into availability issues.

Regarding the flavour, plants are so good, dude. Once you cut out processed foods that are loaded with sugars and salts, your palate readjusts and you'll realise just how sweet a peach or sweet potato is and how flavourful something like kale is.

I think that if you're someone who eat a lot of convenience food and rarely cooks healthy food at home, a plant-based diet in somewhere like SA could be more diificult. My suggestion is to simply make healthy food at home and find nice restaurants in your area for going out. There are apps like Happy Cow that helps you find vegan or vegan-friendly restaurants or eateries.

And don't sell yourself short. If you had told me 4 years ago about not eating animal products, I would've told you to GTFO of my face. Maybe try a whole-food plant-based challenge once you wrap up the pescetarian one. :thumbup:

Thanks for the response, I will still reply to this proplerly when I get some time.

A real question I've always wandered about. Do Vegans wear leather shoes? Belts? Leather seats in their cars? Wallets, handbags?

snow, too... Unfortunately for some of the more high flying vegans, who like a bit of the nose-blast. 

A real question I've always wandered about. Do Vegans wear leather shoes? Belts? Leather seats in their cars? Wallets, handbags?

Dont touch them on their studio!

Pasta is no no for vegans - there is egg in it.

Being vegetarian is quite easy - you just cut out meat - being vegan is a whole other ball game - you cut out ALL animal products, that means no traditional cakes (egg), nothing with cheese or milk, jelly sweets etc etc,

At some point it all gets a bit silly. Like the brits who threw a wobbly a out the new 5 squids note having a hint of animal product in it.

Being a vegetarian is relatively simple - being a vegan is waaay to much work!

If you think pasta and bread are the two main vegan foods then you're speaking to the wrong vegans!

We make curries, soups, wraps, boboties, salads etc none have pasta or bread (the wraps do).

Veggies have a big YUCK factor in SA - maybe because our parents forced us to eat them - but scratch the surface and there is a world of delicious food out there that has zero meat.

Yeah I cant do wraps either :/

The thing with most ways of eating that are fairly strict is planning in advance which isnt always easy to do. It was like that with banting too.

I *love* veggies, my wife does too and we actually eat very little meat but we are nowhere near to being vegetarians.

At some point it all gets a bit silly. Like the brits who threw a wobbly a out the new 5 squids note having a hint of animal product in it.

Being a vegetarian is relatively simple - being a vegan is waaay to much work!

Speaking for myself, veganism has required adjustment to my diet and the products I buy. But there's a difference between adjustment and compromise. I have adjusted my lifestyle, not compromised.

People stand up for causes they believe in, I would not call it silly or trivialise it.

Yeah I cant do wraps either :/

The thing with most ways of eating that are fairly strict is planning in advance which isnt always easy to do. It was like that with banting too.

I *love* veggies, my wife does too and we actually eat very little meat but we are nowhere near to being vegetarians.

You and me both.

I'm it a big fan of any diet that cuts out food groups.

I'm also not a big fan of anything "all or nothing". I have cut out around 85% of my meat consumption and I'm happy with that. I don't understand the need to be 100% vegan/vegetarian or anything really.

Speaking for myself, veganism has required adjustment to my diet and the products I buy. But there's a difference between adjustment and compromise. I have adjusted my lifestyle, not compromised.

People stand up for causes they believe in, I would not call it silly or trivialise it.

There is a difference between "at some point it gets silly" and "all vegans are silly". I wrote the former and I mean the former.

Throwing a wobbly because the 5 pound note contains trace amounts of tallow IS silly and trivial in my book.

You leading a vegan lifestyle? Carry on - it's your body - you do with it what you want.

There is a difference between "at some point it gets silly" and "all vegans are silly". I wrote the former and I mean the former.

Throwing a wobbly because the 5 pound note contains trace amounts of tallow IS silly and trivial in my book.

You leading a vegan lifestyle? Carry on - it's your body - you do with it what you want.

So, because the actions of others do not align to your world view, it's okay to trivialize and mock it? 

What were you saying to Mousea on the Lady Pros thread about double standards? Are you not applying the same double standard here? 

, I promise you the quality and range of meat and dairy alternatives is significantly different nowadays   :D 

This is the part I will never understand, why if you don't want to eat meat do you then go out and find something that tastes like meat?

It's actually very simple. People are creatures of habit. People anjoy food that is familiar to them, which perhaps they associate with hanging out with friends and family. Now, if you can have the same/similar taste from a food that doesn't necessitate raising and slaughtering an innocent animal, why wouldn't you? 

Also, it's a common misconception to think all vegans live on meat replacements. Personally, I'd have something like that maybe once a month. My personal favourites are: 

Viver 'Steak'

vivera-Cropped.jpg

Beyond Burger

beyond_web_update.jpg

Beyond-Meat-Southwestern-Burger-2-copy1.

Edited by Odinson