The Veganism Thread

Odinson

We did the vegan thing for two weeks.

While two weeks is basically just dipping your toes into a lifestyle, I really really really missed a lot of stuff. We also cut added sugar out of our diets.

My wife is an amazing cook, and there was some really good meals that will be made again soon. Spicy delicious Currys and salads etc.

I missed cappuccinos, I missed decent sauces, I missed the texture of meats, and non of the meat replacements we tried came close.

But cutting out meat and sugars did leadme to drop 5kg over two weeks, and by cutting down on the portions afterwards and eating less meat than I did (tradisionele Afrikaanse dieet) I'm keeping the weight down.

Lessons learned:

I can live without meat. But I didn't enjoy eating most days.

Peter meal planning and prep is key to being nourished if you are in the platteland. Eg. You won't find a quick vegan option In Swellendam Checkers unless you eat salad or slap chips.

You need to really be motivated to want to keep meat or animal products out of your diet. If you don't have a conscious reason then that kite probably won't fly. I don't, so I'm eating meat again. Just less of it.

Braaiing and eating veggies while your mates eat meat sucks.

So this weekend we are going camping, we'll eat salads and veggies, but I will be braaiing.

There's actually a specific mechanism at play here: when you're consuming high amounts of 'pre-packaged' carnitine and creatine, then you're body downregulates its own production. When you cut out animal products, you're body takes a while to upregulate production again. That's why the cravings for animal flesh kick in. Stick it out for a while and it subsides. 

I'm curious, why don't you have that "conscious reason"? 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting the things that gross me out, really is such a cool way of trying to make vegetarianism more attractive! You should go work for a ad agency

So snarky. 

Sorry, it’s a meat free day today, so I’m feeling tired, lethargic and my brain isn’t working properly.

It's all that cheese you're compensating with!  :ph34r:

#brain_fog 

.That's why the cravings for animal flesh kick in. Stick it out for a while and it subsides. 

I'm curious, why don't you have that "conscious reason"? 

Because I am a monster. I don't mind eating the flesh of dead animals, drinking bovine breastmilk and eating their unfertilised eggs. Did I miss any off the gross things?

Actually, just trolling. I'm in the agricultural industry. I make my money off all kinds of farming. I'd be a hypocrite if I had an issue with animal farming while making money off them and riding on their farms.

It would be like demonstrating at an anti-monsanto rally while one of my trucks is transporting a couple of tons of glyphosate to a client. 

I wasn't craving meat. ( I was craving sugar. etter.) I missed the texture, and the taste. I just found it to be rather one-dimensional. I love eating, and I love eating well. I want to eat ALL the foods, across the whole spectrum.But I won't be excluding anything. (well except offal, that tasted siff. I'll exclude offal.)

I'll probably do the cycle again, never say never, but I won't pretend that it I do it to save the animals or the planet.  

. (well except offal, that tasted siff. I'll exclude offal.)

my wife is italian and their family makes tripe in a rich tomato sauce that is just beautiful. 

Because I am a monster. I don't mind eating the flesh of dead animals, drinking bovine breastmilk and eating their unfertilised eggs. Did I miss any off the gross things?

Actually, just trolling. I'm in the agricultural industry. I make my money off all kinds of farming. I'd be a hypocrite if I had an issue with animal farming while making money off them and riding on their farms.

It would be like demonstrating at an anti-monsanto rally while one of my trucks is transporting a couple of tons of glyphosate to a client. 

I wasn't craving meat. ( I was craving sugar. etter.) I missed the texture, and the taste. I just found it to be rather one-dimensional. I love eating, and I love eating well. I want to eat ALL the foods, across the whole spectrum.But I won't be excluding anything. (well except offal, that tasted siff. I'll exclude offal.)

I'll probably do the cycle again, never say never, but I won't pretend that it I do it to save the animals or the planet.  

Thanks for your honesty!

I can sympathise that it is not always easy, being used to having certain foods, flavours, the social element, etc. It's obviously also more difficult when you don't have any 'analogues' in your area. 

I don't agree with you on the hypocrisy you're referring to. Anytime you decide to act in an ethical fashion, you're making the right choice, irrespective of your environment. 

On your last point - do you feel that there is no need or reason to act to spare animals their lives or to prevent the environmental destruction that is being caused? Even if you don't personally care, do you think that taking these kinds of steps would be in the best interest of the generations that will follow you - your kids, your kids' kids, etc. 

Who of the Jozi crew will play guinea pig? 

HOW THIS JOHANNESBURG EATERY IS MAKING VEGAN SALMON OUT OF PAPAYA

livekindly_vegan_lox.jpg

Johannesburg vegan restaurant Kaylee’s Eatery has figured out how to make salmon that looks, tastes, and even smells like lox using only papaya fruit.

Many chefs use carrots to create vegan lox, however, the Kaylee’s Eatery team – Kaylee Gottschalk, Dan Fredman, and chef Josh Simon –  deemed the water content of the vegetable to be too high for its plant-based “Lox” bagel served with cashew cream cheese.

Instead, they looked to fruit. According to the trio, when sliced thinly, soaked in a smoky marinade, and dehydrated for several hours, papaya can convincingly mimic the taste and texture of fish.

For those who want a meatier dish, the team are also looking to create meatballs for stews and mince for lasagne using extracted pea protein.

“Plant-based eating is delicious, cruelty-free, and most of all sustainable,” Gottschalk told Eat Out magazine when asked about why she was creating the vegan versions of popular foods; the eatery also creates scrambled eggs out of tofu and serves vegan bacon.

“Whether you’re a yoga-loving sort of girl, a run in the park with your dog kind of guy. There is something here that is good for your body, mind, and for the planet,” the restaurant’s Facebook page notes. “At Kaylee’s, we try only to use the freshest and most seasonal ingredients to create our flavourful and full of good meals.”

It continues, “Yes, even our signature ‘salmon’ that you’re about to devour is plant-based, full of nutrients and cruelty-free.”

Who of the Jozi crew will play guinea pig? 

HOW THIS JOHANNESBURG EATERY IS MAKING VEGAN SALMON OUT OF PAPAYA

Grief, its in Bedfordview... I'm out.

(My wife would be thrilled to get her hands on lox again though)

Nice one, I've learnt of 3 veg friendly places this week! Lexi's in Sandton, Casting Cafe (super skeptical about this name...) in Rosebank and this one!

The two that have been around a while, Greenside cafe in Greenside, and Leafy Greens out in Muldersdrift.

There's a lexi's in modderfontein, I love their menu.

I bought some take home munchies todaypost-44041-0-54581400-1550759667_thumb.jpgpost-44041-0-22181200-1550759692_thumb.jpgpost-44041-0-50841800-1550759715_thumb.jpg

The two that have been around a while, Greenside cafe in Greenside, and Leafy Greens out in Muldersdrift.

There's a lexi's in modderfontein, I love their menu.

I bought some take home munchies today

Never been to Leafy Greens, but we say we should literally every weekend when we go cycle at the cradle..

Greenside cafe is awesome. Fresh Earth is also near us, we're there every 2nd or 3rd weekend, LOVE their food.

Never been to Leafy Greens, but we say we should literally every weekend when we go cycle at the cradle..

Greenside cafe is awesome. Fresh Earth is also near us, we're there every 2nd or 3rd weekend, LOVE their food.

Do it

Great food

Thanks for your honesty!

I don't agree with you on the hypocrisy you're referring to. Anytime you decide to act in an ethical fashion, you're making the right choice, irrespective of your environment.

On your last point - do you feel that there is no need or reason to act to spare animals their lives or to prevent the environmental destruction that is being caused? Even if you don't personally care, do you think that taking these kinds of steps would be in the best interest of the generations that will follow you - your kids, your kids' kids, etc.

Ethics is relative. I don't think it's unethical to eat meat.

I have been to the abbatoirs where my meat come from, and I see no issue with it. Even the feed lots isn't as depressing as portrayed.

I'm the guy who helps corralling cows into the dairy when I visit my friends on the farm.

I don't feel I need to spare animals their life. Maybe because they are a commodity to me.

Some people may see peckles and moomoo the same as their dogs, but I don't. I respect their viewpoint, but I don't have to share it.

Maybe it's because I come from farmer stock myself and hunt, or maybe I'm just an integral part of the meat matrix and choose the status quo pill.

Besides, the one sheep and quarter cow that my family goes through every year (I know, as we get our meat in bulk and have three refrigerators for all of it) is a drop in the ocean. I'll rather offset the environmental impact by getting our house off grid.