[Event] Around The Pot 100miler

Petrichor Adventures

First time doing the event (60 mile) and on my gravel bike.

Got a puncture in the first 10km which was not ideal as I was feeling up to it on the day. Stop to fix the puncture with the plug which unfortunately came out so had to plug again and stop again to pump thereafter  :thumbdown:  

At the 2nd water point at Malgas I used the proper pump of the tech station and that lasted to the end of the 60 miles. I pushed on a bit after the wheel issues and manage to finish in 04h40'eish which I'm happy with but the legs are still feeling it today.

The later start of the 60 mile was better in terms of light and also had less riders, but agree not sure why you want to climb over things to get to the front and push your way in. If you are that strong you have 60 miles to make your break so don't be a d@@s that time of the morning.

The roosterkoek was a disappointment to me after all the hype, I expected the proper type which I normally buy on the way to Swellendam at a farm stall. I made up for it by stopping there on the way back, do yourselves a favour and stop at Bonfrutti and order a roosterkoek  :clap:

The weather was great although the start was freezing. Looking forward to do the event again next year and will sign up for the 60 mile again. The surface was fine for the gravel bike ... just the last bit over the grass field was lekker bumpie.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did the 60miler. Was my wife's first ride over 70km and first ride in a few months, so we just aimed at finishing in 7 hours. I did the 60miler last year in just under 5 hours and initially was aiming to do it on my own this year and try and get close or under the 4hour mark, but I'd take this experience with my wife over that any day! We actually had time to take in the scenery and enjoy the waterpoints. I ended up lending her a hand on every hill from start to finish to save her legs for the entire distance and that seemed to work quite well for us, we ended up doing it in just over 6 hours! She absolutely loved the event and she seems a bit hooked now. Keeps on talking about the day and already started planning for next years Around the Pot weekend..

One mistake we made..We reached the pont basically midpack of the 60milers at the same time the 100miler guys started arriving..We got our roosterkoek, sat down to eat it in around 10-15min and only then joined the massive que for the pont. We stood in the que watching three ferries come and go before we could get on. Checked ourselves back into the race after 1 hour and 9 minutes instead of 45 minutes. Next year I'll just grab the roosterkoek and stand and eat it in the que. 

Next year I'll just grab the roosterkoek and stand and eat it in the que. 

If yours Mrs is riding and she wants to sit, because it makes the experience better, I would sit. Bugger the time. If however the Mrs has turned into a racing snake, I would also just sit, cause I might just need to recover!

You could actually score some serriiiaaaaaas point if you whip out her favorite cup of coffee from a flask right there.

Was one of my fav events last year - was gutted I couldn't go this year.

So chuffed to see that it's growing and the support it's receiving from hubbers - well deserved for the organisers

(Think one of the reasons it is doing so well is that is very well priced compared to similar events - hope this continue to be the case)

If yours Mrs is riding and she wants to sit, because it makes the experience better, I would sit. Bugger the time. If however the Mrs has turned into a racing snake, I would also just sit, cause I might just need to recover!

You could actually score some serriiiaaaaaas point if you whip out her favorite cup of coffee from a flask right there.

The missus was actually game face on at that point and was the one stressing about the clock starting to tick again haha! We reached the pont with an average speed of 23kmh and overtook a bunch of people that just triggered her inner competitiveness . As the clock was ticking away and we not getting going again she started to get demotivated again. i think she was silently starting to hope for a time in the region of 5,5 hours..

The missus was actually game face on at that point and was the one stressing about the clock starting to tick again haha! We reached the pont with an average speed of 23kmh and overtook a bunch of people that just triggered her inner competitiveness . As the clock was ticking away and we not getting going again she started to get demotivated again. i think she was silently starting to hope for a time in the region of 5,5 hours..

All I can say is ...... good luck !  The words inner competitiveness and hoping for a better time send shivers done my spine!

The 45 min compulsory break is really unnecessary. They measure the time in two sections anyway, and the total time can just be the sum of the two. Let everyone spend as much time as they want or need at the pont without having to stress about losing time. The general feeling was that official cars and 100 miler riders should get preference, so without a potential time penalty everybody would be much more relaxed.

Enjoyed the 100 miler event and scenery.

Race was well organised aside from the choke point at the start through the narrow gate.

Anyone know if the results are online anywhere?

Did the 100 miler -1st section an absolute nightmare.Tired at 1st waterpoint ,wanted to give up at 2nd waterpoint but saw no bike transport,had some snacks and went on my unhappy way towards Malgas.Got caught in rain before Malgas going downhill at 50kmh mud covering glasses,removed glasses and got eyes full of mud ,dirty glasses back on.Had some roosterbrood etc and crossed on the pont.Section 2 still tough but felt much better and actually started overtaking riders.finished at about 5pm position 285.Big up to Noleen for the company on the last 15km.

Same average speed for section 1 and 2 .Cannot understand why I felt so lousy in section1.

Will be back!

Camping in winter not for the faint hearted.

This was the 2 nd time I ride the 100miler, I was covered in "foundation", at the pontoon crossing I asked the lady just for jam and cheese sandwich....the mud was falling of my face as i was talking to her, she couldn't stop laughing, we were the first 100milers to come in, the 60milers looked still fresh and no mud, what the heck I thought.

The mud was so slipery at times that I/we wheel spun up some of the drags...

The start of the race shld maybe take place in the road next year. What the quad bike was doing mids the riders I dont know...anyhow I stood at the back at the start and only caught the front group as we were passing over the bridge, that was almost a beeeg mistake.

Last year we had mist, this year wet/dry maybe next yr a heat wave... :whistling:

OH how about organizing Port O Loo"s , there was nothing.... :eek:  just a moerse Que.