Safety on the roads ... and cyclists behaviour...

ChrisF

Please do.....

Done as politely as possible. Just stated that all should obey road rules but drivers on cell phone kill more cyclists per year than red light jumpers.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we discuss cyclists who don't use the cycle lane on this thread too ...?

Especially the new 10 km lane between Melkbos and Table View.

After all, it is Friday. :devil:

They cray. 

Although at one stage had to ride next to the one past dolphin beach as so many thorns on the path got 3 punctures in 100m. Was impossible to ride on.

Can we discuss cyclists who don't use the cycle lane on this thread too ...?

Especially the new 10 km lane between Melkbos and Table View.

After all, it is Friday. :devil:

When can we start to name and shame them?

Maybe if the cyclist sees their name on a shame list they will think twice?

It is actually All the cycle lanes!

I would like to see the traffic department put up boards like the newspaper boards, but in areas where it will have a huge impact.

It is law - use the cycle lane

Its against the law to hog the right lane

Etc etc

I think a campaign like this should bring greater awareness.

I would like to see the traffic department put up boards like the newspaper boards, but in areas where it will have a huge impact.

Etc etc

Drivers wont see it, they on their phones.

Etc etc

Curious - is this the law? Do you HAVE to use the cycle lane if there is one?

Here in Durbanville is a cycle lane of about a kilometer which is terrible to ride on, more rutted than the Tygerberg Trails single tracks at the end of summer. I never ride on it and when they recently destroyed a part of it to build an entrance to a new retirement village no-one complained.

Here in Durbanville is a cycle lane of about a kilometer which is terrible to ride on, more rutted than the Tygerberg Trails single tracks at the end of summer. I never ride on it and when they recently destroyed a part of it to build an entrance to a new retirement village no-one complained.

Yes its law unless its not safe to use.

That cycle has been fixed recently,  only section that is still a bit bad is the 100m at the circle end.

Edit: When last did you ride it? It is perfect next to the retirement viliage

Etc etc

Well this should be PPA doing that.

ATM PPA only carries on and on and on about staying wider of the rider (Motorist do not understand wider)

Why can PPA not spend more on making public away of the actual road law wrt cycling.

Like this>

Cyclist are allowed right of the yellow line

1.2m is now a law not a request

You ARE alowed to cross the solid line to pass a cyclist

etc etc

That cycle has been fixed recently,  only section that is still a bit bad is the 100m at the circle end.

Edit: When last did you ride it? It is perfect next to the retirement viliage

Thanks - didn't notice they fix that bit again, will check it out

Done as politely as possible. Just stated that all should obey road rules but drivers on cell phone kill more cyclists per year than red light jumpers.

Saw the picture the dude took and like you said, everyone SHOULD obey the rules.....but like you also said that a cyclist skipping red has never killed anyone else .

Especially if you see that the intersection is a T-Junction so they did not affect the traffic flow/

BUT they SHOULD stop. 

However I will put money on the fact that the motorist uses his phone while driving.

Well this should be PPA doing that.

ATM PPA only carries on and on and on about staying wider of the rider (Motorist do not understand wider)

Why can PPA not spend more on making public away of the actual road law wrt cycling.

Like this>

Cyclist are allowed right of the yellow line

1.2m is now a law not a request

You ARE alowed to cross the solid line to pass a cyclist

etc etc

the biggest problem is education.

so I played devils advocate yesterday. Not one person I have spoken with in years of driving knows keep left pass right. My Wifes colleague said to me "isn't that a mountain biking thing??!" Ya.

Now if you read the whole Road traffic Act and all its amendments you will likely be able to pass 3rd year law. Its a lot of reading and has to be read in conjunction with the preceding act.

Joe Public is not going to do that.

So whats needed is continuous education. I remember back in the day we used to have ZIeBie inserts on V teaching kids and adults to not be litter bugs and "Zats it in ie Ziebieeeeee bllllllllliiiiiiiik...." (thank me later)

and we had Wielie Wallie teaching kids how to ride their bikes on public roads.

Even Car adverts used to throw in some rules of the road.

these days there's no such education. Laws get passed and the smallest voices will talk about it unless its something sensationalist (like land expropriation without compensation.......gotcha now youse  p*ssed off nuh.:) )

When last have we seen any regular televised insert educating drivers about the rules of the road? Niks,... Nada, .....vok-all-ie.

In the 21st century people can't read more than 140 characters before falling asleep

so I played devils advocate yesterday. Not one person I have spoken with in years of driving knows keep left pass right. My Wifes colleague said to me "isn't that a mountain biking thing??!" Ya.

Now if you read the whole Road traffic Act and all its amendments you will likely be able to pass 3rd year law. Its a lot of reading and has to be read in conjunction with the preceding act.

So whats needed is continuous education. I remember back in the day we used to have ZIeBie inserts on V teaching kids and adults to not be litter bugs and "Zats it in ie Ziebieeeeee bllllllllliiiiiiiik...." (thank me later)

these days there's no such education. Laws get passed and the smallest voices will talk about it unless its something sensationalist (like land expropriation without compensation.......gotcha now youse  p*ssed off nuh. :) )

When last have we seen any regular televised insert educating drivers about the rules of the road? Niks,... Nada, .....vok-all-ie.

In the 21st century people can't read more than 140 characters before falling asleep

FULLY agree with you, hence I have even asked PPA to do more like what you are suggesting but nothing.

Also agree with you that more TV time and signs on lamp posts should be used to make drivers aware of new rules.

so I played devils advocate yesterday. Not one person I have spoken with in years of driving knows keep left pass right. 

That's really strange to me. Way back when… all new drivers were taught that the single most important rule of the road is "keep as far to the left as it is safe for you to be" or words to that effect.

these days there's no such education. Laws get passed and the smallest voices will talk about it unless its something sensationalist (like land expropriation without compensation.......gotcha now youse  p*ssed off nuh. :) )

Only got that far and then fell asleep.

That's really strange to me. Way back when… all new drivers were taught that the single most important rule of the road is "keep as far to the left as it is safe for you to be" or words to that effect.

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t that one of the first rules in the k53 book years back? Keep left pass right? Though I did do my learners licence in 1995 so could be mistaken.

Archived