Thin paint/material on new Specialized bikes

partydave

I have done a 20km ride and had the brake hose rub a huge mark in my fork crown....

At the end of the day, sand/dust rubbing against paint/something else solid is going to behave the same way as sandpaper...simple concept...

As for the dent - yes alu does dent if hit hard enough and the alu on bikes is typically pretty thin as it draws most of its strength from the diameter of the tubes...

You also cannot compare two different brands of bikes as they will use different paints, finishing techniques, and frame materials...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feedback from LBS is that this is normal wear and tear and that I should consider sticking a sticker over the gashes. Meh!

Well alright then... Did you let them know that this normal wear and tear is a lot worse than Scotts normal wear and tear and they may want to have a look at it.

Well alright then... Did you let them know that this normal wear and tear is a lot worse than Scotts normal wear and tear and they may want to have a look at it.

I did...

I also popped a mail off to Spaz customer care. Still waiting on feedback

Contacted a second Spaz concept store, same result.

Will get a downtube protector for the bottom and a sticker for the top then :(

Contacted a second Spaz concept store, same result.

Will get a downtube protector for the bottom and a sticker for the top then :(

Ask for a discount on a big S sticker to cover where the paint is coming off :P

After giving the bike a good wash down and inspection last night, it does appear there is something not quite right with the paint work. I will pursue this matter with Specialized customer care if they decide to respond to my mails

Downtube after a month of ownership. 

post-68382-0-53136300-1544680382_thumb.jpg

Nothing but mild gravel roads. I shudder to think what it would look like after a year of ownership or *shivers* hitting a trail. Those are not dust spots, but chunks out of the paint, down to bare metal

Right lower of fork, seems paint is starting to bubble up

post-68382-0-62940500-1544680624_thumb.jpg

Bike has ONLY been hosed down, no soap has been used other than that of the LBS

Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this is abnormal

Moral of the story..................buy a Scott.

Spez is weight saving for the weight weenies, so only a thin layer of paint.

Moral of the story..................buy a Scott.

Spez is weight saving for the weight weenies, so only a thin layer of paint.

lol, that stumpy already weighs 7 bricks, they could just have well done a proper paint job.

PartyDave...I don't wash my bike that often, but now you've made me curious to see if my stumpy has the same marks.

After giving the bike a good wash down and inspection last night, it does appear there is something not quite right with the paint work. I will pursue this matter with Specialized customer care if they decide to respond to my mails

Downtube after a month of ownership. 

attachicon.gifIMG_20181212_191730.jpg

Nothing but mild gravel roads. I shudder to think what it would look like after a year of ownership or *shivers* hitting a trail. Those are not dust spots, but chunks out of the paint, down to bare metal

Right lower of fork, seems paint is starting to bubble up

attachicon.gifIMG_20181212_191625.jpg

Bike has ONLY been hosed down, no soap has been used other than that of the LBS

Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this is abnormal

Looks like a Friday 4pm paintjob!

lol, that stumpy already weighs 7 bricks, they could just have well done a proper paint job.

PartyDave...I don't wash my bike that often, but now you've made me curious to see if my stumpy has the same marks.

Jako, would you mind checking and taking some pics for me? If your bike is fine, I would love to send them to the LBS and Spaz.

How old is your bike?

that means I'll have to clean it properly...ugh :P

I will send some pics tomorrow. My bike is about 3/4 months old, done more than 1000kms and ridden some decent trails in Stellenbosch and surrounds.

Wow, having recently ordered a new Spaz mtb I’m not sure if I’m glad you started this thread....

What’s the chance those downtube chips could have happened while transporting the bike?

Wow, having recently ordered a new Spaz mtb I’m not sure if I’m glad you started this thread....

What’s the chance those downtube chips could have happened while transporting the bike?

Other than the paint, it's a magnificent machine, you will not be sorry. Just get it in any colour but matte black

All 4 bikes were mounted sideways on the trailer and my bike was second in line, I believe it to be highly unlikely to be the cause