Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really old and well worn bikes are the best commuters, please post the pics!

here are some pics of when we had to fix a commuter in our groups very old seatpost with cable ties to get him home.....he rocks a really old canti-lever braked steel GT 26'er that has been converted to a SS and still rocks!

Yeah I thought fixie would have been a bit dangerous in town. Anyway, after seeing your commuter I am not going to post mine LOL. I have an old GT 26inch that I used to commute on but it needs a proper overhaul(want to go SS) so riding my 29er at the moment.

Show me yours and ill show you mine 

I also have an old 26er that has now been retired and will become my shop/pub bike 

post-5403-0-82936400-1549969464_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-74762400-1549969471_thumb.jpeg

Would love a dedicated Steel SS frame as a commuter, Going to install a White Industries ENO ECC hub on my cotic once my current chain is stretched to sh!t. 

I am tempted to sell the GT and then build up the Momsen as a dedicated SS Commuter ... no more punctures, burly frame and she will fit me :)

I'll take pictures and post them.

Now a store bike, has done quite a bit of mileage.

Lol the tensioner did fail for some reason and I didn't even notice it till the chain started jumping off. Wheels and bearings are shot, the bb is rough and the fork feels like it's sprung by a pool noodle.

Still a fun bike to ride but not reliable enough for everyday commute. All parts used to build this bike was purchased off the hub post-11225-15499718815462.jpega4e0c241bbddbe7c4e156caed892a524.jpg

do you have the tool to remove that XTR crankset?

I have one lying in the spares box that I have been eyeing out to fit

Now a store bike, has done quite a bit of mileage.

Lol the tensioner did fail for some reason and I didn't even notice it till the chain started jumping off. Wheels and bearings are shot, the bb is rough and the fork feels like it's sprung by a pool noodle.

Still a fun bike to ride but not reliable enough for everyday commute. All parts used to build this bike was purchased off the hub attachicon.gifIMG_20190111_192848.jpega4e0c241bbddbe7c4e156caed892a524.jpg

I have been looking for one for ages, 

I managed to borrow one from my LBS. The price tag is just ridiculous

Edited by Swany05

How is the XTR different?

you need some tool McGyver thing to remove the one crank arm that is kind of bolt fixed to the other one .....

How is the XTR different?

you need some tool McGyver thing to remove the one crank arm that is kind of bolt fixed to the other one .....

Ok. I will watch the video at home later. No Youtube here at work.

Its the TL-FC35, to remove the nds crank arm. No way around it. 

A while ago i was going to measure out the one from the LBS and have a mate turn one up on his lathe for me. But eh, seemed like a lot of work for a tool that gets used VERY little.

post-11225-0-10574200-1549976822.jpg

I am tempted to sell the GT and then build up the Momsen as a dedicated SS Commuter ... no more

punctures, burly frame and she will fit me :)

I have been looking at one of those Momsen steel frames for a while now. Everytime I am about to pull the trigger something seems to come up.

Hopefully I will get one soon.

Its the TL-FC35, to remove the nds crank arm. No way around it. 

A while ago i was going to measure out the one from the LBS and have a mate turn one up on his lathe for me. But eh, seemed like a lot of work for a tool that gets used VERY little.

attachicon.gifTLFC35.jpg

A while back i replaced this bolt with one I got off ali express. It uses allen key, think 8mm if I remember correctly.

Sorry it wasnt xtr, but xt

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Im honestly not sure why Shimano thought it would be a good idea to design a system that requires a propriety tool in order to remove a crank 

A while back i replaced this bolt with one I got off ali express. It uses allen key, think 8mm if I remember correctly.

Sorry it wasnt xtr, but xt