Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

WHAT, NO YOUTUBE ... HOW DO YOU GUY'S MANNNNNAAAAGE TO FIX ANY OF THOSE AIRCRAFT THEN!

I think if we did have Youtube, there would be very little fixing happening. A few years ago they went on this whole social media drive, especially around facebook. They opened it up to all levels(our internet access is put on levels depending on our grade/position). They had people go round and assisted people who didn't have FB open accounts. They sent us mails everyday blah blah blah and then it didn't take long and they realised it was a huge mistake. A lot of the younger generation spent all flipping day on FB. They then blocked it for everyone. Then a year or so ago they relaxed it and some levels have access to it between 18h00 and 06h00. So I have access to FB and YT during those hours but if I am here at those hours I don't have time to spend on the pc. Luckily I have twitter and bikehub all hours.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An another note, 

How often do you guys clean and lube your commuters ?

When the spruit is sloshy, wash every evening and lube every morning.

In Gauteng winter, I very seldom wash; lube every second day or so - but at least once a week.

I suppose with a geared bike it needs to be done a bit more frequent 

The reason i ask is cause i cant remember when last i washed my bikes both of which are single speeds. I just lube the chain when it gets dry. 

In Gauteng winter, I very seldom wash; lube every second day or so - but at least once a week.

I think if we did have Youtube, there would be very little fixing happening. A few years ago they went on this whole social media drive, especially around facebook. They opened it up to all levels(our internet access is put on levels depending on our grade/position). They had people go round and assisted people who didn't have FB open accounts. They sent us mails everyday blah blah blah and then it didn't take long and they realised it was a huge mistake. A lot of the younger generation spent all flipping day on FB. They then blocked it for everyone. Then a year or so ago they relaxed it and some levels have access to it between 18h00 and 06h00. So I have access to FB and YT during those hours but if I am here at those hours I don't have time to spend on the pc. Luckily I have twitter and bikehub all hours.

the thing with opening these things up is that in the beginning everyone will go crazy and spend countless hours on it, after a while the novelty wears off and only a few delinquents spend all day on it. These can be weeded out.

The problem is companies dont have the appetite to sit through the novelty period and just go all knee jerk and block everything.

Last week I was forced to wash my bike (roadie) because my FD no longer wanted to go from big chain ring to small chain ring due to gunk/grit that ceased the pivot points. This only happens after riding in the rain a lot so I'm thinking it has something to do with road spray and whatever gets picked up from the road.

Shifting as good as new now  :D

Had to give my commuters chain a quick clean on Sunday night .... I had just used windowlene to wipe down the tablets in the house ... if it could remove the sticky finger marks from the youngest I figured it could work on the chain.

And work it did!

Clean the chain quickly, and evaporates quickly too .... so you can spray, wipe and brush down and repeat. Then lube up in a matter of minutes with very little mess. Worked a treat.

Granted I use squirt on the chain, and this tends to vanish at the first sight of just plain water, but you get the idea!

Wash and lube once a week.

If it has been raining and the gravel road is muddy it will be more often.

I have to ad that my commute is 8km tar and 8km gravel.

This is my short commute.

The longer ride is 10km gravel and 15km tar.

If it is wet some off the mud patches are real sticky!

Clearly I need to clean and lube more often than I currently do lol.

Just got my car back from some major surgery so I haven't been commuting this week, Thankfully cause it has been rather wet.

Had to catch a lift home yesterday. It started pouring around 14h30. I had to come back into work last night and this morning was tired and it was still raining so just drove. It has rained non-stop for almost 24 hours now.

so just when will the flipping South Easter in CT go the hell away...... becoming a little boring now in the mornings having to slog your way to work!

it is fun going home though, hit 57.7km/h last night with a little spin of the pedals on the SS, and still knowing there is a little more in there waiting to come out ... would have loved to hit that same flat stretch again with a roadie bike and big gearing to see just what speeds can be achieved.

so just when will the flipping South Easter in CT go the hell away...... becoming a little boring now in the mornings having to slog your way to work!

it is fun going home though, hit 57.7km/h last night with a little spin of the pedals on the SS, and still knowing there is a little more in there waiting to come out ... would have loved to hit that same flat stretch again with a roadie bike and big gearing to see just what speeds can be achieved.

It’s magic on a geared bike ... spinning out on a 53 x 11 ????????????

My dynamo hub seized 2 weeks ago on my heavy commuter and I thus decided to use an older geared steel bike for the interim .... now I don’t want to go back ... eeek ????

post-20017-0-49144500-1550148678_thumb.jpeg

very nice!

It’s magic on a geared bike ... spinning out on a 53 x 11

My dynamo hub seized 2 weeks ago on my heavy commuter and I thus decided to use an older geared steel bike for the interim .... now I don’t want to go back ... eeek

My dynamo hub seized 2 weeks ago on my heavy commuter and I thus decided to use an older geared steel bike for the interim .... now I don’t want to go back ... eeek

WOW daccordi, haven't seen one of those for a while. A friend of my Dad had one, must have been late 90s early 00s.

Stylish :thumbup: