Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

Jacket or not, you still get wet. I don't mind getting wet on the way home but it sucks getting drenched on the way to work. Trying to dry clothes and shoes is a mission, especially if the weather stays cloudy/rainy. I just make sure the NB stuff in my bag is dry, I do wear a light rain coat but often it helps bugger all. I use ziplock bags for phone, wallet etc.

You do get jackets that will keep you bone dry in the heaviest of storms. I have 1 and it works. Purchased on CRC for under 1K. Only problem is that it can get very hot in there, even in single digit temps, so def not ideal for summer rains.

I can get to work with puddles in my shoes, remove inner soles, stuff shoes with newspaper immediately, remove newspaper by lunch time, and shoes will be dry by 4pm.

I always keep spare socks and bib at work though.

So rain is never an issue for me. I have left home while it was raining quite a few times already. Biggest shlep for me is cleaning the bike afterwards.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shotto ... she is a little a harsh ride, and could she be a size bigger for me, but she can GO!

This looks tit, 

Must be such a fun ride 

Wheels are ex ROOK with Novatec hubs..... replaced a similar deepish profile rimed wheelset that came with the bike, but eventually died. This is their more expensive pair of wheels, but is well worth the extra ZAR for the sealed bearings and better locknuts, etc. The ROOK guys are also really great to deal with!

https://rookcycles.com/collections/parts-and-accessories/products/wheel-sets

Cranks, a basic shimano jobbie bought second hand off the hub....the origional crankset also died a horrible death on a ride into town.

Running 53x16t single speed ... flip the wheels and she is a 53x17t fixed.

What wheels? What crank? (Busy getting bits together for a fixie / SS build)

Yeah i noticed by that yesteryear stem length 

shotto ... she is a little a harsh ride, and could she be a size bigger for me, but she can GO!

Wheels are ex ROOK with Novatec hubs.....

I bought an old mystery steel frame from WCW and asked  Niels about building wheels and he said not to bother, just buy a pair from Rook! So, amazing coincidence, I went there just yesterday and bought a black pair on Novatec hubs. I might decide to sand the braking surfaces to metal? 

Interesting project. It is the second time I am building a bike together with one of my boys. I'm in charge of sourcing (and paying) for parts. Depending on what he comes up in terms of artwork, which is his department, it may also get painted over?  

Don't bother sanding it down ... just ride it and brake ... it will form it's own surface!

ROOK are also getting some nice toys on their display shelves as of late.

The wheels are also so well priced that it would not feel like sacrilege to have the wheels stripped down and then do a loud and proud "custom" airbrush" jobbie on them ... then keep the frame a simple single or faded colourway.

I bought an old mystery steel frame from WCW and asked  Niels about building wheels and he said not to bother, just buy a pair from Rook! So, amazing coincidence, I went there just yesterday and bought a black pair on Novatec hubs. I might decide to sand the braking surfaces to metal? 

Interesting project. It is the second time I am building a bike together with one of my boys. I'm in charge of sourcing (and paying) for parts. Depending on what he comes up in terms of artwork, which is his department, it may also get painted over?  

Wheels are ex ROOK with Novatec hubs..... replaced a similar deepish profile rimed wheelset that came with the bike, but eventually died. This is their more expensive pair of wheels, but is well worth the extra ZAR for the sealed bearings and better locknuts, etc. The ROOK guys are also really great to deal with!

https://rookcycles.com/collections/parts-and-accessories/products/wheel-sets

Cranks, a basic shimano jobbie bought second hand off the hub....the origional crankset also died a horrible death on a ride into town.

Running 53x16t single speed ... flip the wheels and she is a 53x17t fixed.

Do you ever ride her fixed?

Yes

The 53x17t was a nice combo ... had a 42x16t before and that sucked when at speed.

In the city though, riding between pedestrians and dealing with taxis, I found the fixie setup to not be a safe solution for me.

At least with a SS setup I can level the pedals and swerve / jump a pavement, etc. Had a few close calls with the fixie and feel more in control during these moments on a SS.

Do you ever ride her fixed?

I feel you pain .... one can sweep and vacuum after a labbie, go put the broom and vac away and when you return it looks like fur ball city again!

We have two labs - black and chocolate - so I can see the picture very clearly.

Yes

The 53x17t was a nice combo ... had a 42x16t before and that sucked when at speed.

In the city though, riding between pedestrians and dealing with taxis, I found the fixie setup to not be a safe solution for me.

At least with a SS setup I can level the pedals and swerve / jump a pavement, etc. Had a few close calls with the fixie and feel more in control during these moments on a SS.

Yeah I thought fixie would have been a bit dangerous in town. Anyway, after seeing your commuter I am not going to post mine LOL. I have an old GT 26inch that I used to commute on but it needs a proper overhaul(want to go SS) so riding my 29er at the moment.

Show me yours and ill show you mine 

I also have an old 26er that has now been retired and will become my shop/pub bike 

Yeah I thought fixie would have been a bit dangerous in town. Anyway, after seeing your commuter I am not going to post mine LOL. I have an old GT 26inch that I used to commute on but it needs a proper overhaul(want to go SS) so riding my 29er at the moment.

Edited by Swany05