Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

Going to be a slow week.

Took the car yesterday as I needed to replace the battery. Commuting today, tomorrow I need to take the other car to have new tyres fitted and need to collect my race number for Saturdays Munnik Meerkat XCM.

Hopefully will commute on Thursday and then car again on Friday.

Still better than no commute!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might I suggest you learn to bake your own bread and reap the satisfaction that comes with the experience and wonder of producing a lovely loaf!

Well if I have my way wrt the work I will not get close to the leaders unless I go buy bread in Innsbruck twice a week :D

and I am being serious here .... been toying with making sourdough bread as of late (still early days for me)

Might I suggest you learn to bake your own bread and reap the satisfaction that comes with the experience and wonder of producing a lovely loaf!

post-5403-0-26802000-1551795864_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-71636500-1551795870_thumb.jpeg

post-5403-0-10845200-1551795880_thumb.jpeg

I need to drop my bike off at the LBS this afternoon so it can go down to Cape Town tomorrow with the transport company. If I commute, I won't make it home in time to get the bike loaded and off to the shop. So I was bummed that I had to drive today. My toppie called me last night asking how I was getting to work as they wanted a lift to the airport this morning as their flight was at 10h15. I said driving but they would obviously be getting to the airport very early as I start work at 06h45. So I tuned my dad to come fetch my bakkie and then they can drive themselves to the airport and my Dad can just park in the staff parking(he also works here and our parkings are next to each other) and then I will just fetch my key from him. So at 20h00 last night he fetched my bakkie and I got to ride this morning. Have to drive home but 1 commute is better than non.

@long wheel base - how was your wet commute today ? or did you manage to miss the downpour?

@long wheel base - how was your wet commute today ? or did you manage to miss the downpour?

I rode to work but luckily had the car at work so drove home. Bliksem it was rough out there. The roads were flooded. I saw a few cars stuck with water damage on my way home, at one stage I was driving through probably ankle deep water across the whole road. It started pouring as I was loading my bike onto the bike rack. Taking my tandem to the LBS was a stuff up, it WAS nice and clean. I waited as long as I could but the rain and hail never lifted. Greenstone also had no power so traffic was a nightmare. Shame she got very wet. Have already told my toppie when he picks it up to give it a wipe down and check chain etc.

Decided to take my buddy up on an offer he had been making for a while. Beers, Jameson and braai. 

This meant i had to commute to Dainfern, took just over an hour for 23kms there, this morning was a similar time but the climb, bliksem. i decided to stay on William Nicol as i wanted to see how bad it got. Man was i huffing and puffing. I think if i had a geared bike it would have been a bit easier. 

Next time ill take a different route, maybe take sandton drive or go down to woodmead. 

Decided to take my buddy up on an offer he had been making for a while. Beers, Jameson and braai. 

This meant i had to commute to Dainfern, took just over an hour for 23kms there, this morning was a similar time but the climb, bliksem. i decided to stay on William Nicol as i wanted to see how bad it got. Man was i huffing and puffing. I think if i had a geared bike it would have been a bit easier. 

Next time ill take a different route, maybe take sandton drive or go down to woodmead. 

Next time will be easier.  What does not kill you makes you stronger ;)

Once a month I have an off site meeting in Rivonia. There is a little hill - 200m long at 11% - that also has me wishing for some more gears on my SS

• 2 weeks later...

Seems everyone has lost some traction Hairy. I was on a course for Wednesday, Thursday last week and will be on leave this Friday. :)

But we showing big numbers thus far.

@Cat i, when is the Sani2C challenge again? Need to start planning my routes. 

Seems everyone has lost some traction Hairy. I was on a course for Wednesday, Thursday last week and will be on leave this Friday. :)

But we showing big numbers thus far.

@Cat i, when is the Sani2C challenge again? Need to start planning my routes. 

Eish please don't remind her! That challenge was a killer last year.

But that prize was well worth it! MMmmmmmm!

Edited by Imploder

I am currently entertaining an option closer to home, but will still cycle with the group to town for coffee prior to work .... so should then even out the mileage to what I am currently doing.

It was a real thought / concern that came to mind when I found out where the potential new office is located :P

At least I contacted the building management to confirm if the building had shower available to tenants ... which they do, so that bodes well :P

Come to think of it, the last few places of work (3 over the last 12 or so years) I have always asked in the interviews if they have showers and bike parking available ...

My wife should not read this but maybe I should find a job 50 km away from home.  #ThinkingOutLoud

How did that challenge work?

Eish please don't remind her! That challenge was a killer last year.

But that prize was well worth it! MMmmmmmm!