For the aviation fans

Lotus

Yeah it could. So the spare APUs and Engines are in my workshop and to date we havent had anyone come through to look so either there is little to no interest or they will all come viewing on 1 day together. Apparently Lufthansa is interested in the A340-600s and their spares as they still flying some of them and the OEMs are no longer making stuff for those aircraft.

I hope SAA can make something from them.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an A340 converted to freighter use - like Boeing and Macdonald did with most previous passenger models across the board.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The development had initially been directed at Boeing 777-200s, but suitable airframes are still too expensive and difficult to obtain.

However, the A340-300 is likely to be a more affordable candidate, with airframes available for around $15 million 

Airfreight seems to be quite a booming business.  Would be good to see if SAA can have a bite at the pie.

We all ask that same question. We used to have the 747 combi(like helderberg) and then up until recently we have been flying 3 x B737F and now they going to stop flying in March. In fact the one is on the ground in DUR and another has been standing here in JNB for a while. They used to fly a lot. I remember when I was on the line doing turn-arounds we used to do those aircraft for the entire night shift. They flew flowers to Zambia every morning and veggies to DUR in the early hours of the morning. There is a big horse race in Mauritius once a year and for like 2 weeks they flew almost constantly to MRU and back with Horses, that was a schlep as the hay is a fire hazard and it's a freighter so there are actually no extra seats and there was always like a horse handler and an extra safety person because of the fire hazard. They sat in camp chairs right outside the cockpit door.

We all ask that same question. We used to have the 747 combi(like helderberg) and then up until recently we have been flying 3 x B737F and now they going to stop flying in March. In fact the one is on the ground in DUR and another has been standing here in JNB for a while. They used to fly a lot. I remember when I was on the line doing turn-arounds we used to do those aircraft for the entire night shift. They flew flowers to Zambia every morning and veggies to DUR in the early hours of the morning. There is a big horse race in Mauritius once a year and for like 2 weeks they flew almost constantly to MRU and back with Horses, that was a schlep as the hay is a fire hazard and it's a freighter so there are actually no extra seats and there was always like a horse handler and an extra safety person because of the fire hazard. They sat in camp chairs right outside the cockpit door.

I prefer it less to do at night shift.

They use to fly 2 flights ct - joburg at night . Then one from joburg - pe - ct and the other joburg - durbs - pe - think back to joburg

Brightstar has basically taken over all the cargo flights at night now

They use to fly 2 flights ct - joburg at night . Then one from joburg - pe - ct and the other joburg - durbs - pe - think back to joburg

What planes do brightstar use? What is the colour scheme? Is that the airline that Comair has just bought/jumped into bed with?

Yeah I remember they would leave here like 22h00 and then a few hours later they were back so I assume the one went DUR and the other CPT. Then either back again or off to Zambia. At that stage we only did ZS-SBA and ZS-SBB and the safair guys did the other one(can't remember the reg). Then the safair one stopped flying and we got ZS-TGG and then we did all 3.

What planes do brightstar use? What is the colour scheme? Is that the airline that Comair has just bought/jumped into bed with?

734 or 738. Not really sure

Im downstairs in radar hall... So they all the same colour too me [emoji6]

734 or 738. Not really sure

Im downstairs in radar hall... So they all the same colour too me [emoji6]

LOL ok.

If it is a 737 then most probably a 734, not sure I have ever seen a 738F.

There are a whole lot of planes parked outside where Comair is operating from that are all white with red tails. Wondering if that is them.

LOL ok.

If it is a 737 then most probably a 734, not sure I have ever seen a 738F.

There are a whole lot of planes parked outside where Comair is operating from that are all white with red tails. Wondering if that is them.

I'll ask the tower guys what they look like when back at work....... But that's only on Sunday

Brightstar fly white 737 with Bid air painted on the side. There is one parked during the day at Port Elizabeth

Thanks, I see it is ZS-TAG. Our one freighter that we lease from someone(I have no idea who) is ZS-TGG so chances are it is leased from brightstar.

It looked seriously windy when that photo was taken. Check that rudder. Also looks like a fan strap on #1 engine.