For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of military jets.

The other day I left home, as I was getting in the car I could hear from long way off towards the north there was the sound of a jet engine.

Then a minute or 2 later leaving the suburb I see the jet coming over. It was going slow, tail down and landing gear out. Since I was waiting for a red light I was able to watch it for a while. It did not look like it gain speed or altitude, the gear stayed down and it slowly banked around and headed north again.

Rather strange, at first I though it may have taken off from ORT, but the fact that the gear stayed down didnt make sense.

Only thing I can think of was some sort of test flight from Denel

Pretty scary that a piece of the engine went right through the fuselage

Normally the duct for the bypass fan is designed to contain flying blades etc but I don't think this is the first time this has happened, didn't a pax die quite recently as a result of a ingress of disintegrated fan debris in a fuselage with a similar uncontained engine failure?`

Yeah containing the debris is the ideal.

You'd think if you were moving forward at any speed, that would help spit everything out the back too, but I guess with the energy involved it gets complicated.

Normally the duct for the bypass fan is designed to contain flying blades etc but I don't think this is the first time this has happened, didn't a pax die quite recently as a result of a ingress of disintegrated fan debris in a fuselage with a similar uncontained engine failure?`

Yip, here is a link.

This is also now the reason that CFM introduced a Service Bulletin where every single blade in service now has a life limit of 55000 cycles(previously they never had a life limit). Each and every single blade now needs to be tracked as well as periodic electrostatic inspections of the blade root. It is one of the projects here that I am part of. There are 24 fan blades on each engine, we have over 1800 blades under our service. I have to track each and every blade back to birth and work out how many cycles it has done. It is a tough task. Deadline was initially 1st May but due to covid it got extended to 1st August. I am still not done. 

Yip, here is a link.

This is also now the reason that CFM introduced a Service Bulletin where every single blade in service now has a life limit of 55000 cycles(previously they never had a life limit). Each and every single blade now needs to be tracked as well as periodic electrostatic inspections of the blade root. It is one of the projects here that I am part of. There are 24 fan blades on each engine, we have over 1800 blades under our service. I have to track each and every blade back to birth and work out how many cycles it has done. It is a tough task. Deadline was initially 1st May but due to covid it got extended to 1st August. I am still not done. 

Don't forget this incident. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_32

Although the debris did not pierce the haul, it did shoot through the wing (which kinda protected the fuselage) and cause quite a bit of damage.

Edited by Bateleur1

Yip, here is a link.

What do cycles mean in this context? cycles of the engine? (stop/start)

What do cycles mean in this context? cycles of the engine? (stop/start)

Yes, Sir. 

It becomes tricky when the blades have been on multiple engines.

Don't forget this incident. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_32

Although the debris did not pierce the haul, it did shoot through the wing (which kinda protected the fuselage) and cause quite a bit of damage.

Yeah very similar. But that was a failure from deeper inside the core. Only way to check those parts is to strip the engine. The N1 fan blades on the CFM are removed easily while on wing luckily so regular inspections are pretty easy,

So yesterday I finally got to take my wife with my in the plane for the 1st time.

Paperwork in hand I could not wait to get to the airfield and we really enjoyed our little trip to the island and back, and did not even notice the turbulance

It was a good day.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: