For the aviation fans

Lotus

I just love bureaucracy 

"A spokesperson for the Dutch aviation authority, ILT, told the publication that the airport doesn’t have the correct safety certificate to allow such large aircraft departures"

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love bureaucracy 

"A spokesperson for the Dutch aviation authority, ILT, told the publication that the airport doesn’t have the correct safety certificate to allow such large aircraft departures"

And if the Dutch is still anything like I know them, those 747s are going to be stuck for a while.

As a jumbo fan, that is so sad. I still love seeing the queen of the skies come in for landing. So graceful, so awesome, just the best.

Sometime during the hard lockdown a BA 747 came overhead en-route to Cape Town international to pick up folks being repatriated. I stood outside drinking in the magnificent site, as I had a sinking feeling that may be the last time she flies overhead.

About 2 months later the announcements were made that BA were scrapping the entire 747 fleet. Very sad that I never made it onto a 747. It was the one plane I wanted to fly on since being a laaitie.

Sometime during the hard lockdown a BA 747 came overhead en-route to Cape Town international to pick up folks being repatriated. I stood outside drinking in the magnificent site, as I had a sinking feeling that may be the last time she flies overhead.

About 2 months later the announcements were made that BA were scrapping the entire 747 fleet. Very sad that I never made it onto a 747. It was the one plane I wanted to fly on since being a laaitie.

Flew on the SAA 747SP as a laaitie.  Still my mission to fly on one of the 747-8 of Lufthansa.

Flew on the SAA 747SP as a laaitie.  Still my mission to fly on one of the 747-8 of Lufthansa.

I remember seeing a couple of the 747SP make an appearance at George airport on odd occasions during my highschool years. Those birds always piqued my interest. They were like a short-wheel base bakkie, but still with the good looks of it's big brother.

I must admit I'll settle for a ride on a dash 8 any day.

Very sad that I never made it onto a 747. It was the one plane I wanted to fly on since being a laaitie.

My first time ever on a plane was aged 12. An SAA 747-200. London-Paris then Paris Jo'burg - around the bulge of Africa in 1976!

Since then I've been on several SAA 747's,  an Air Namibia 747SP (Ex SAA) and a BA 747 from New York last year. Technically 2 BA 747's because we sat on one for three hours which then couldn't take off because of an issue and swapped to another plane!

My first time ever on a plane was aged 12. An SAA 747-200. London-Paris then Paris Jo'burg - around the bulge of Africa in 1976!

Since then I've been on several SAA 747's,  an Air Namibia 747SP (Ex SAA) and a BA 747 from New York last year. Technically 2 BA 747's because we sat on one for three hours which then couldn't take off because of an issue and swapped to another plane!

Nice. When I imagine myself in a 747, for some reason it is always a -200. I guess it's because of the sheer impression such a big plane makes on a kid. First time I saw one up-close (relative terms) was one day in Durbanville. My dad was buying a caravan and while we were taking receipt of the new one (packing everything over from the old to the new after a December holiday at Tietiesbaai, on the way home to George...I digress) a BA 747 took off from (back then) D.F. Malan and climbed low and slow while steering directly overhead. It was in the old Landor scheme. I fell in love with BA on that day.

The Dutch certainly know how to obtain 6 Jumbos for their museum eh?

Edited by Bonus

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/government/373117-tito-mboweni-announces-r10-5-billion-saa-allocation.html

I feel for those working there (like LWB), but it seems like just throwing money into a bottomless pit at this stage.

Agree with you 110%, So technically I don't work for SAA but rather SAAT. So while we under the same umbrella and SAA is 80% of our work(or was) we can carry on without SAA. There is still a need for Boeing and Airbus maintenance in RSA. But we are suffering so much as a result of the SAA corruption. We have been on 50% salary since March and last month we got 25%, SAA owe us so much money. Mango and Comair also owe us money(mango actually have the biggest debt to us). SAAT keep telling us that once the customers pay us we will get all the salaries owed to us but we not sure it will happen. Okes are resigning left right and centre just to get their pensions because who can live on 50% or 25% of their salary. Starting a new airline with government control will never work in this country, it will remain a feeder for fulling up peoples pockets.

Agree with you 110%, So technically I don't work for SAA but rather SAAT. So while we under the same umbrella and SAA is 80% of our work(or was) we can carry on without SAA. There is still a need for Boeing and Airbus maintenance in RSA. But we are suffering so much as a result of the SAA corruption. We have been on 50% salary since March and last month we got 25%, SAA owe us so much money. Mango and Comair also owe us money(mango actually have the biggest debt to us). SAAT keep telling us that once the customers pay us we will get all the salaries owed to us but we not sure it will happen. Okes are resigning left right and centre just to get their pensions because who can live on 50% or 25% of their salary. Starting a new airline with government control will never work in this country, it will remain a feeder for fulling up peoples pockets.

SAA, Eskom, etc etc. So frustrating. Like trying to swim with a bag of rocks tied around your neck I imagine.

They can leave but to go be scrapped. Not really a happy ending for me. I have seen jumbos being cut up before, there was a lot of dust in the air that day and it got into a few guys eyes. We called the machine pacman, it just comes along and chomps away. That final blow when the fuselage eventually gives way and crashes to the ground really hits you hard.