For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating. This blows me away:

Given the estimated worldwide air traffic of about 37,800,000 flights, the accident rate is one fatal accident per 2,520,000 flights.

We are in far more danger every time we get on our bikes or in our cars. Every time.

Just as I start getting my FlightRadar addiction under control I find extra memory on my phone and load the app. Idiot!

BA has three flights to JHB and two to Cape Town. I think JHB is a A380, 747 and a 777 if I am not mistaken

And sometimes 2 A380's into ORT...A while ago I saw the 2 BA A380's, the Air France and Emirates A380's and the beautiful Lufthansa 747-8 in retro livery all parked at ORT international departures one morning...what a sight!

Edited - I forgot to add the Singapore A350! All the heavies having a jol :-)

Edited by Karooryder

Anyone in the know, know whats happening at Cemair? No press releases, no communication from the company...the silence is ominous...

I see  Lufthansa / BA decking up a few aircraft in retro paint jobs

DxcHJJwXQAU0DO4.jpg

Anyone remember the BOAC VC-10 that use to float in to FAJS  every Sunday morning?

Beautiful! I still think the BOAC VC10 was one of the all-time great looking planes. And the 727.

Edited - I forgot to add the Singapore A350! All the heavies having a jol :-)

Singapore is daily, even twice daily now on some days, all on the A350. Beautiful aircraft and great airline to fly with,

Certain flights used to then route to CT, I don't know if that is still the case or whether they fly direct to CT now.

Beautiful! I still think the BOAC VC10 was one of the all-time great looking planes. And the 727.

The RAF has only just stopped flying the last of the type. It was a beautiful aircraft but couldn't compete withe Boeings for efficiency and was also heavy on maintenance.

Couldn't agree more. There is just something about the look of those rear-engined aircraft.

The VC10 was especially beautiful in BOAC livery.post-72229-0-97597000-1548147395_thumb.jpg

When this changed to British Airways it didn't look the same.

My first ever flight as a child was in one of these:post-72229-0-79993700-1548147633_thumb.jpg

To this day my best flight - very quiet with the engines at the rear.

Edited by Walt Jabsco

Anyone in the know, know whats happening at Cemair? No press releases, no communication from the company...the silence is ominous...

Very good question Henry....

The plot thickens

Hope they come right, attended some training courses and operator conferences with some of their engineers about 10 years ago and they came across as very professional.

Very good question Henry....

The plot thickens

Hope they come right, attended some training courses and operator conferences with some of their engineers about 10 years ago and they came across as very professional.

Yap, hard to see how they can survive this in terms of public perception and trust. They are pretty much disposing of their reputation through this and their lack of communication and break down in future support from loyal customers. Financially, the operator must also be on their knees - the commercial airline business in SA is so marginal that these downtime losses would be very hard to recover for a private operator unless they have deep deep pockets which is doubtful  considering the shortcuts they seem to take to stay in business and make money.

Couldn't agree more. There is just something about the look of those rear-engined aircraft.

The VC10 was especially beautiful in BOAC livery.

When this changed to British Airways it didn't look the same.

My first ever flight as a child was in one of these:attachicon.gif727.jpg

To this day my best flight - very quiet with the engines at the rear.

The BOAC VC10 inaugural flight was to Johannesburg

I used to enjoy the ride to CT in the 1time MD8's though always used to sit right at the back so I could hear & feel those engines in action, and close to that rear stair case for prompto entry & exit.