For the aviation fans

Lotus

Well there was talk of industry paying for services during the recent US govt. shutdown (see link)..... 

https://simpleflying.com/southwest-airlines-government-shutdown/

I personally think that peer pressure got to them (rightfully or wrongfully), they were willing to risk it if everyone else was, but when they were suddenly the last agency letting them fly the situation probably became untenable. And I am pretty sure the lawyers had the last say, not the engineers. Disclaimer:- the above is just me joining the dots in my worldview - results may vary. 

The FAA has been linked to favouratism in the past.  As I mentioned before the DC10 had a pretty rough start as well with quite a few Fatal accidents which was later attributed to a design flaw of the rear cargo door.  As the investigation turned its attention to this it came out that the FAA actually had reservations in giving the DC10 its air worthiness due to this but none the less approved it.

The FAA is now under massive pressure and actually has no choice.  Should there be any other incidents (and it does not have to be a fatal accident), the press would be on it and it could blow up badly in the face of the FAA.  Airbus might just kickstart the A380 program again to fly in all the lawyers for the lawsuits.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of these two with Air France and then the biggy with Quantas.  Would not say it is that many.  Engine failures do happen more than you think.  It just is not reported on as much.

If they do find the cause to be engines, this will affect the ETOPS rating of the max. In fact I wouldn't mind betting the ETOPS gets removed all together until they can prove it is reliable again.

If they do find the cause to be engines, this will affect the ETOPS rating of the max. In fact I wouldn't mind betting the ETOPS gets removed all together until they can prove it is reliable again.

When I said reported on I meant in the media.  What is interresting is that two of the aircraft are Air France aircraft.  Do they also use Rolls Royce?  Quantas was RR and it was design flaw with the RR engine. 

I remember many years ago (2001 if I remember correctly) a co-worker of mine on his way to France experienced a engine blowup on takeoff at ORT.  Engine popped and the takeoff aborted.  Low and behold ... it was an Air France A340.

When I said reported on I meant in the media.  What is interresting is that two of the aircraft are Air France aircraft.  Do they also use Rolls Royce?  Quantas was RR and it was design flaw with the RR engine. 

I remember many years ago (2001 if I remember correctly) a co-worker of mine on his way to France experienced a engine blowup on takeoff at ORT.  Engine popped and the takeoff aborted.  Low and behold ... it was an Air France A340.

Yip they have the Trent 900. The Trent 1000 is also giving issues............... But RR is still a damn good engine. We have the Trent 500 on our 340-600 and they are reliable. Possibly a batch of fan blades that were flawed?

I know of these two with Air France and then the biggy with Quantas.  Would not say it is that many.  Engine failures do happen more than you think.  It just is not reported on as much.

I hoiked the below off a similar thread on Avcom, where someone has compiled and compared incidents by type (might be oil leaks, fumes, smoke etc.). I don't think their maths is correct as not all planes enter service on day 1. But, given the simplifying assumptions, the numbers are not too dissimilar and the A380 and 747-8 seem evenly matched...

A340: 220 incidents, 380 aircraft, EIS 1993 = 0.02 incidents per aircraft per year

A330 691 incidents, 1441 aircraft, EIS 1994 = 0.02 incidents per aircraft per year

B777: 616 incidents, 1584 aircraft, EIS 1995 = 0.02 incidents per aircraft per year

A380: 157 incidents, 234 aircraft, EIS 2007 = 0.05 incidents per aircraft per year

B747-8: 53 incidents, 130 aircraft, EIS 2011 = 0.05 incidents per aircraft per year

B787: 250 incidents, 789 aircraft, EIS 2011 = 0.04 incidents per aircraft per year

A350: 30 incidents, 249 aircraft, EIS 2015 = 0.03 incidents per aircraft per yea

Yip they have the Trent 900. The Trent 1000 is also giving issues............... But RR is still a damn good engine. We have the Trent 500 on our 340-600 and they are reliable. Possibly a batch of fan blades that were flawed?

I think the Trent 1000 is on the 787 Dreamliner. I understand they need inspection far more frequently than planned and have had their ETPOS duration reduced drastically. Air NZ has had to hire in old planes (I think even A340's) to take up the slack.

And we thought you had an "in" at the factory, we were just about to butter you up for an invite! 

Haha i wish i had an in there...

I do business with the maintenance facility and know some of the guys there, but none at the factory itself.

Anyway, checked their website and they do free tours, but are fully booked for 2019

https://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/en/pilatus/company-tour

post-182-0-32105600-1552563486_thumb.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

thoughts on where boeing's shares will be going when NYSE opens in just under 2 hrs time?

The bargain basement?

I think the Trent 1000 is on the 787 Dreamliner. I understand they need inspection far more frequently than planned and have had their ETPOS duration reduced drastically. Air NZ has had to hire in old planes (I think even A340's) to take up the slack.

Correct. RR came to us asking for a team of 2 guys to go do boroscope inspections on all the 1000s in sub sahara. I was asked as I have some of the training they wanted. It was a 6 month deal but I turned it down as I can't be away for that long from my young family(1 night in Cape Town this weekend was long enough).

thoughts on where boeing's shares will be going when NYSE opens in just under 2 hrs time?

I am sure they going to take a big knock unfortunately. 

I am sure they going to take a big knock unfortunately. 

funnily enough,the stock price is rising in the first 5 minutes of trading. :blink: