For the aviation fans

Lotus

I see its a zimbabwe registered plane. Wonder what they were loading so much of that it did that. Maybe stuff for the cyclone victims? Maybe enough zim dollars to pay for lunch?

I am thinking the plane was so full of US dollars, and that thing that looks like a cage over the tailplane is where the goats would go...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my youngest is moving to Cape Town, and flew out of Lanseria early this morning.

And would you believe it - Flightradar24 suffers a big outage last night and I miss tracking his entire flight.

I love tracking flights when I actually know someone onboard. When we lived on the West Rand flights would sometimes even fly over our house.

Interestingly I discovered this forum just yesterday, when I decided that a PPL could be in my future, possibly a 30th birthday present from me to me.

Me too. But it will be a 50th birthday present. There is a future after 50...

not sure if this was posted previously (albeit, i have vague memory that someone may have linked to a NY Times story previously, just can't recall if it's the same one).

During flight simulations recreating the problems with the doomed Lion Air plane, pilots discovered that they had less than 40 seconds to override an automated system on Boeing’s new jets and avert disaster.

The pilots tested a crisis situation similar to what investigators suspect went wrong in the Lion Air crash in Indonesia last fall. In the tests, a single sensor failed, triggering software designed to help prevent a stall.

Once that happened, the pilots had just moments to disengage the system and avoid an unrecoverable nose dive of the Boeing 737 Max, according to two people involved in the testing in recent days. Although the investigations are continuing, the automated system, known as MCAS, is a focus of authorities trying to determine what went wrong in the Lion Air disaster in October and the Ethiopian Airlines crash of the same Boeing model this month.

The software, as originally designed and explained, left little room for error. Those involved in the testing hadn’t fully understood just how powerful the system was until they flew the plane on a 737 Max simulator, according to the two people.

NY Times

In response to that article, I find this response on Ars Technica pretty much on point:

post-6789-0-22968300-1553801341_thumb.jpg

post-52292-0-29402900-1553806621_thumb.jpeg

Here is Nice. Airborne off 04R, right hand turn after take off and passing 10 000 ft on the crosswind. Global Express to Seattle......not shabby performance!

attachicon.gif4CC47CD6-0312-41CA-A814-08C5766B444E.jpeg

Here is Nice. Airborne off 04R, right hand turn after take off and passing 10 000 ft on the crosswind. Global Express to Seattle......not shabby performance!

Its a hard life but someone has to do it. I can imagine it's a step up from the DC8 in Iraq and Afghanistan ?

attachicon.gif8FF9D9BD-1C84-42DA-99EC-A2E558F25FFE.jpeg

Some airport shots.

Approaching Entebbe in Uganda. This from my old DC8......back in the day as they say!

[attachment=1460615:2993AC4F-AE06-4461-8802-C33BE4FB8DDE.jpeg

Into Kabul in marginal viz.attachicon.gif483A12AF-B03B-4482-A5B4-3F60DD0E4620.jpeg

Into Macau in poor viz.

attachicon.gif4CC47CD6-0312-41CA-A814-08C5766B444E.jpeg

Seems there are a lot of runways on reclaimed land. Is it a lot trickier landing on something that is essentially in the water? Does the wind react differently to a runway that is in a more built up area or middle of a sand pit? 

Its a hard life but someone has to do it. I can imagine it's a step up from the DC8 in Iraq and Afghanistan ?

Yes, indeed. The speed and comfort of these “Gucci jets” is easy to get used to. However there was something specal about the old Diesal 8. We had amazing trips with very varied destinations and all manner of cargo, operating to every continent except Antarctica. Can’t see my boss wanting to go there on his holiday!

Seems there are a lot of runways on reclaimed land. Is it a lot trickier landing on something that is essentially in the water? Does the wind react differently to a runway that is in a more built up area or middle of a sand pit?

In my experience the wind is generally more steady with clearer approaches. The worst is gusty conditions over bult up areas as the low level winds can be quite turbulent due to buildings, tall trees etc.

As an example, instructing years ago at Grand Central, it could be tricky for students taking off to the south when a westerly wind blew. The wind could be quite turbulent at low level thanks to all the hanger buildings. Good learning experience I guess!

not sure if this was posted previously (albeit, i have vague memory that someone may have linked to a NY Times story previously, just can't recall if it's the same one).

NY Times

In response to that article, I find this response on Ars Technica pretty much on point:

attachicon.gif737.jpg

So true this. Cost cutting on the sim training, sad. It surely would not have added much to do that excersise in a sim intitial or recurrent, a matter of minutes! Edited by Spokey