For the aviation fans

Lotus

Great news! Mike Patey is back for a new build with his brother (yep, 2 planes this time).

Intro to new build:

And be sure to watch this week's 2nd episode - there's a great story in there about a baseball cap in a flying competition, and some awesome footage of Draco taking off (damn near vertically!).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news! Mike Patey is back for a new build with his brother (yep, 2 planes this time).

Intro to new build:

Now THAT is what a mancave should look like...….

For those asking questions about how Boeing got themselves into the 737 MAX mess, here is a good history lesson:

https://www.vox.com/business-and-finance/2019/3/29/18281270/737-max-faa-scandal-explained

another article that summarises salient points in an attempt to bring the bigger picture back into focus: was the regulatory clearing process flawed and what else is lurking underneath that could cause another plane crash?

In the current political climate, I expect the senate sub-committee hearing to be the shiny gloss lipstick on the pig.

That said, there's a republican heading up the sub-committee into an issue that cropped up during the democrat regime. This is political cannonfodder.

Edited by Capricorn

Have a look at that hangar that Mike Patey owns.... #drool. On the field, a few stories, office based there, stunning.

The guy has skills though, and boy can he build a plane. Saw draco in Oshkosh last year, boy shes impressive.

Have a look at that hangar that Mike Patey owns.... #drool. On the field, a few stories, office based there, stunning.

The guy has skills though, and boy can he build a plane. Saw draco in Oshkosh last year, boy shes impressive.

Yes very impressive all rounder ... and having a successful business that generates lots of cash to facilitate these projects, only in the USA?

It has been said in the past, "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going".

Methinks it's to be rephrased to "if it's Boeing, I ain't going"

It has been said in the past, "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going".

Methinks it's to be rephrased to "if it's Boeing, I ain't going"

stock price disagrees with you. As most investor notes have stated: the downside of this whole disaster is already built into the stock price. There's only up from here.

Yes very impressive all rounder ... and having a successful business that generates lots of cash to facilitate these projects, only in the USA?

I would not go as far as to say only in the US. Not sure if you know him and his brothers background and how "learning disabled" they were.

Almost anything is possible if you put in enough time and effort, the man's work ethic is crazy. He's the type of guy pulling +100hr work weeks and if you can sustain that with a little smart thinking you will almost always be successful.

complete insomniac - operates on 3 hours a night max... workaholic entrepreneur, fabulous combo

fair to say though that he also has ALL the tools. He speaks in one video about needing to create a part for Draco that he just molded at 3a.m. his workshop is kitted!!!

stock price disagrees with you. As most investor notes have stated: the downside of this whole disaster is already built into the stock price. There's only up from here.

As long as the up includes thoroughly tested software fixes, that have been quality assured and bench-marked, before finally being signed off by impartial regulators, who have no vested interests in the stock price for Boeing to get all the grounded planes in the air again. 

The preliminary report on the recent 737 Max disaster is here if you haven't seen it:

http://www.ecaa.gov.et/documents/20435/0/Preliminary+Report+B737-800MAX+%2C(ET-AVJ).pdf

My summary:

Left AOL or feeder circuit fails shortly after take off

MCAS tries to trim down

Pilots try to trim up

Speed keeps on increasing

Trim Motor Cut Out switches enabled as per the procedure (which also calls for them to remain off for the duration of the flight)

MCAS tries to trim down but does not result in change of horiz stabliser angle, consistent with the trim motors being switched off

FO tries manual trim wheels but can't turn them (presumably because of the high speed causing high forces on the mechanism). Not indicated whether both tried

Electric Trim is used again to try trim up (were the CO switches reversed?)

MCAS then trims down because the motors were on and pitches the aircraft nose down 40deg and 500 knots into the ground.

One possible explanation is that the electric trim switches were moved back up because they could not manually trim up. Apparently there are techniques for dealing with this in this state.

Question I have is why the speed continued to increase to Vne (never exceed) "the N1 Reference remained about 94% and the throttles did not move." Does that means the throttle levers were left full taps?

In my PPL training, although a distant past, I remember one thing, the first thing from dealing with an emergency "FLY the airplane"

The tragic flaw in this airplane is the MCAS relying on only one AOA sensor. And the "AOA Disagree Indicator" being an option. Here is where Boeing is going to have a problem.

Training videos I have seen is that the manual trim wheels need some muscle power to crank, Resistance will go up with the square of the speed.

Edited by kosmonooit