Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

Flu and stress have been busting my balls these past few weeks. No losses (Well, none to write home about) unfortunately, but my "weight loss tracker" is there and I'm still tracking! 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some useless information...but i thought i would share.

I dont have any excuses ...it is what it is...only time will tell what the future holds...at least the bicycle look good on my office wall ;)

Join your wife and get going again, her results should be motivating you man !

It really doesnt take long to get back into it, speaking from experience here. Few months of pushing through and everything falls back into place.

I am sticking to my only eating between 12 and 8 regime at the moment. I have decided that, to me, the benefit is less the intermittent fasting but rather not having time to chow too many calories. Have a meal at 12, normally bacon and eggs, then a protein bar at about 5 and whatever is for dinner at 7.30ish. Not having the third meal in the day seems to make it easier to stick to a 1700 calorie goal.

I am sticking to my only eating between 12 and 8 regime at the moment. I have decided that, to me, the benefit is less the intermittent fasting but rather not having time to chow too many calories. Have a meal at 12, normally bacon and eggs, then a protein bar at about 5 and whatever is for dinner at 7.30ish. Not having the third meal in the day seems to make it easier to stick to a 1700 calorie goal.

Try to replace the protein bar with something less processed.

Snack on raw almonds, or something similar.

How active are you? 1700 calories is not a whole lot, especially if you're moderately active. You could replace the bacon and eggs with something like loaded oats and you can have a more satiating meal that'll also reduce the saturated fats you're getting in. 

Keep in mind that it's not just a number's game in terms of calories in and out. A diet with high amounts of processed foods will lead to excessive weight gain, even if you match macros, fiber, sodium, salt, etc. when compared to an unprocessed diet. 

Abstract

We investigated whether ultra-processed foods affect energy intake in 20 weight-stable adults, aged (mean ± SE) 31.2 ± 1.6 years and BMI = 27 ± 1.5 kg/m2. Subjects were admitted to the NIH Clinical Center and randomized to receive either ultra-processed or unprocessed diets for 2 weeks immediately followed by the alternate diet for 2 weeks. Meals were designed to be matched for presented calories, energy density, macronutrients, sugar, sodium, and fiber. Subjects were instructed to consume as much or as little as desired. Energy intake was greater during the ultra-processed diet (508 ± 106 kcal/day; p = 0.0001), with increased consumption of carbohydrate (280 ± 54 kcal/day; p < 0.0001) and fat (230 ± 53 kcal/day; p = 0.0004), but not protein (-2 ± 12 kcal/day; p = 0.85). Weight changes were highly correlated with energy intake (r = 0.8, p < 0.0001), with participants gaining 0.9 ± 0.3 kg (p = 0.009) during the ultra-processed diet and losing 0.9 ± 0.3 kg (p = 0.007) during the unprocessed diet. Limiting consumption of ultra-processed foods may be an effective strategy for obesity prevention and treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31105044

If you want to see what the study participants were eating: https://www.cell.com/cms/10.1016/j.cmet.2019.05.008/attachment/f7d43756-3f67-4557-8322-59a9d143d63c/mmc1.pdf

Edited by Odinson

Try to replace the protein bar with something less processed.

Snack on raw almonds, or something similar.

100% - will do. Have been using protein bars because of the easiness. Have a couple of boxes of 30 in my locker at the gym and grab one each day when I park my bike. If I forget, the vending machine at work has them as well, so I can grab one there. However, that’s just lazy, so I will go and get some almonds now and chow them instead. Also maybe an apple to go with them each day.

How active are you? 1700 calories is not a whole lot, especially if you're moderately active. You could replace the bacon and eggs with something like loaded oats and you can have a more satiating meal that'll also reduce the saturated fats you're getting in.

Keep in mind that it's not just a number's game in terms of calories in and out. A diet with high amounts of processed foods will lead to excessive weight gain, even if you match macros, fiber, sodium, salt, etc. when compared to an unprocessed diet.

Abstract

We investigated whether ultra-processed foods affect energy intake in 20 weight-stable adults, aged (mean ± SE) 31.2 ± 1.6 years and BMI = 27 ± 1.5 kg/m2. Subjects were admitted to the NIH Clinical Center and randomized to receive either ultra-processed or unprocessed diets for 2 weeks immediately followed by the alternate diet for 2 weeks. Meals were designed to be matched for presented calories, energy density, macronutrients, sugar, sodium, and fiber. Subjects were instructed to consume as much or as little as desired. Energy intake was greater during the ultra-processed diet (508 ± 106 kcal/day; p = 0.0001), with increased consumption of carbohydrate (280 ± 54 kcal/day; p < 0.0001) and fat (230 ± 53 kcal/day; p = 0.0004), but not protein (-2 ± 12 kcal/day; p = 0.85). Weight changes were highly correlated with energy intake (r = 0.8, p < 0.0001), with participants gaining 0.9 ± 0.3 kg (p = 0.009) during the ultra-processed diet and losing 0.9 ± 0.3 kg (p = 0.007) during the unprocessed diet. Limiting consumption of ultra-processed foods may be an effective strategy for obesity prevention and treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31105044

If you want to see what the study participants were eating: https://www.cell.com/cms/10.1016/j.cmet.2019.05.008/attachment/f7d43756-3f67-4557-8322-59a9d143d63c/mmc1.pdf

Thanks for the info. I’m fairly active. Cycle to work and back most days. If not I walk a fair clip from the train station etc. Also riding 5 days a week, indoors or out and about.

Will try and change the first meal. Once again the eggs and bacon have largely been based on easiness as I duck out of work and have them and can be back in 15 or 20 minutes. My logic has been that eggs are high in protein, but your article makes lots of sense.

Thanks for the info. I’m fairly active. Cycle to work and back most days. If not I walk a fair clip from the train station etc. Also riding 5 days a week, indoors or out and about.

Will try and change the first meal. Once again the eggs and bacon have largely been based on easiness as I duck out of work and have them and can be back in 15 or 20 minutes. My logic has been that eggs are high in protein, but your article makes lots of sense.

For years I drank protein shakes for breakfast, also because it was just quick to prep. So, I've put kg's and kg's of garbage like USN through my body.

Lately, I still do protein smoothies, but a fair bit different. I usually run on most mornings, so after the fasted run, I make a smoothie with the following: 

1-2 bananas;

1 tbsp ground flax

1 tbsp hulled hemp seeds

1 tbsp chia seeds

1 tsp cocoa

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 fistful of spinach

~1 cup of frozen blueberries

3 ice cubes

Splash of plant milk

~1 cup of water

~35g of rice, soya or pea protein (I use these: https://purasana.com/vegan-proteine-poeder/vegan-protein-pea-naturel)

[Edit: forgot to add] 3 heaped tbsp of homemade oatmeal (basically take whole rolled oats, chuck it in the food processor for half a minute and then it works nicely in smoothies)

Will see what I'll be doing in the winter, as a icy smoothie really brings the core temp down. 

Another option is to do overnight oats, which is just basically soaking oats in some plant milk/water and then it's ready to eat the next morning. 

Edited by Odinson

These are my breakfast options, also very easy.

2 TBSPS PEA VANILLA PROTEIN

1 TBSP RAW CACAO POWDER

1 TBSP CHIA SEEDS

1 FROZEN BANANA

HALF AN AVO

1 TBSP UNSWEETENED ALMOND BUTTER

BLEND TOGETHER WITH HALF ALMOND MILK AND HALF WATER

SWEETEN WITH HONEY OR STEVIA IF NEEDED

or

1- 2 CUPS GLUTEN FREE OATS

WITH ALMOND MILK

AND ONE SLICED BANANA

AND /OR BERRIES

1 TSP HONEY

Will see what I'll be doing in the winter, as a icy smoothie really brings the core temp down. 

Another option is to do overnight oats, which is just basically soaking oats in some plant milk/water and then it's ready to eat the next morning. 

Avo on rye toast will work for winter, or cooked oats

hot cuppa coffee

Avo on rye toast will work for winter, or cooked oats

hot cuppa coffee

That's actually a good idea. I used to hate rye and the really proper wholewheat breads, but nowadays I love it. They're also usually quite calorically dense, so you only need to eat a slice or two to get a lekker fiber/protein/carb hit. 

That's actually a good idea. I used to hate rye and the really proper wholewheat breads, but nowadays I love it. They're also usually quite calorically dense, so you only need to eat a slice or two to get a lekker fiber/protein/carb hit. 

yeah I usually do 2 slices, with avo and a handfull of spinach. You can chop up and lightly fry the spinach with some olive oil, and then smash up the avo and dump them together. 5 mins and you done.

For years I drank protein shakes for breakfast, also because it was just quick to prep. So, I've put kg's and kg's of garbage like USN through my body.

Lately, I still do protein smoothies, but a fair bit different. I usually run on most mornings, so after the fasted run, I make a smoothie with the following: 

1-2 bananas;

1 tbsp ground flax

1 tbsp hulled hemp seeds

1 tbsp chia seeds

1 tsp cocoa

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 fistful of spinach

~1 cup of frozen blueberries

3 ice cubes

Splash of plant milk

~1 cup of water

~35g of rice, soya or pea protein (I use these: https://purasana.com/vegan-proteine-poeder/vegan-protein-pea-naturel)

[Edit: forgot to add] 3 heaped tbsp of homemade oatmeal (basically take whole rolled oats, chuck it in the food processor for half a minute and then it works nicely in smoothies)

TLDR