Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What u get?

I went a bit more simple Jack than I wanted to, but the price was right.

Vitus Escarpe 140mm 29er.....

It seemed to get good reviews and has numbers that were a bit slacker than I wanted but according to reviews didn't make the bike less 'fun'....

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/vitus-escarpe-290-pro-2015-review

It beat a couple of decent bikes in the test pool so I figured it can't be 'bad'..... Time will tell.

I need to find a boost hub for the rear now. Then I can build the wheels and get the parts onto it for a good thrashing this weekend.

It seemed to get good reviews and has numbers that were a bit slacker than I wanted but according to reviews didn't make the bike less 'fun'....

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspension-bikes/vitus-escarpe-290-pro-2015-review

It beat a couple of decent bikes in the test pool so I figured it can't be 'bad'..... Time will tell.

I need to find a boost hub for the rear now. Then I can build the wheels and get the parts onto it for a good thrashing this weekend.

Nice bike, did you get the orange one, complete bike or frame?

Very nice! 

The Escarpe was also on my short-list a while back when I was looking for an AM rig (albeit this was pre the 29er AM rig boom, so was looking at the 650B). 

Nice bike, did you get the orange one, complete bike or frame?

Frame and shock...

I have all the other required bits to build up a decent bike but will need a new boost rear hub and headset. 

It's the black and blue one... Same as the review frame. I think the orange one was 2017? I'm not sure. 

I landed it at under 9k, ordered Thursday night and arrived at 8am this morning.

Thank you DHL!

Should have it ready for a hack around Jonkers on the weekend.......

shortly before my full squish frame died I started doing exactly what you are with the rebound being sped up, and it really made a distinctive change, and for the good I recon.....the bike was more responsive and felt more supple....recon that I had too much slow rebound and the shock was packing up at higher speeds.

now with the LT hardtail I have the fork set up rather well, but the rear suspension feels lock out all the time :P

I've always been on the slow side of rebound. Just a few clicks from slowest. I always felt like your rebound should be as fast as you are comfortable with. Right now I feel better with a slightly faster rebound on the rear than I have on the fork. Only because I need to manage a greater degree of control on the front of my bike while riding. Especially on jumps where the launch has a bit of a kick. I also generally prefer the slower rebound on the fork over rough stuff. I'm not a fan of a high stack cockpit either. Generally prefer bars as flat as I can get them. Especially with a longer fork. It just feels like I have more control. More receptive to what the dirt is doing under me. I guess its more a case of how comfortable I feel with the way my bike handles as apposed to how well it performs. Trance with Mattoc pro 2 and an evol kashima.

Lekker and congrats ... where did you order the bike frame from?

Frame and shock...

I have all the other required bits to build up a decent bike but will need a new boost rear hub and headset. 

It's the black and blue one... Same as the review frame. I think the orange one was 2017? I'm not sure. 

I landed it at under 9k, ordered Thursday night and arrived at 8am this morning.

Thank you DHL!

Should have it ready for a hack around Jonkers on the weekend.......

Lekker and congrats ... where did you order the bike frame from?

Thank you... when are you coming to get the rigid forks?!

I ordered it off CRC. It seems general bits come with SkyNet and the bigger/more expensive stuff comes with DHL.

I must admit, I was pretty surprised to see it here. I haven't figured out what to tell the wife yet!

VITUS are CRC's own brand. They're lekker bikes, by the reviews and looks of things, especially for the price!

My one reservation is the floating pivot.... I hated how it felt on the old Pyga bikes. It seemed to make the bike feel really 'flat'. Trying to pop them off little rocks and stumps always felt like a chore.

Great if you want to go fast, but going fast isn't the most fun way to ride trails.... 

But, like I say, lets see. a 140mm modern 29er is probably more capable than most DH bikes were 10 years ago with the ability to pedal it up to the top. What could possibly go wrong... (checks his medical aid)

Edited by Jewbacca

yeah, I don't think that'll be a problem, 'cos as far as I'm aware the Trek Fuels were fun bikes and they also had the floating pivot. I think the deadness was more a combination of the pivot placement (suspension characteristics) and the shock that was on there. I know that when I changed just the air can on my reign, it was a revelation. Then went to coil CCDB and it was even more of a revelation.  

Time will come ... still trying to sort out other items ... been requesting a costing from an LBS for two weeks now for the replacement on the hub bearings on a Hope Pro 2 (Not evo) hubset and then a thru axel conversion kit for the same (142mm req).

No reply yet, with the best feedback being that they are waiting for the suppliers to come back to them.

At this point I am happy to ride rough bearings, but need to be able to convert the rear.

Picked up a seat post from a friend today, so getting there!

Thank you... when are you coming to get the rigid forks?!

I ordered it off CRC. It seems general bits come with SkyNet and the bigger/more expensive stuff comes with DHL.

I must admit, I was pretty surprised to see it here. I haven't figured out what to tell the wife yet!

Are you checking your medical because your wife does not know about the frame yet?

My one reservation is the floating pivot.... I hated how it felt on the old Pyga bikes. It seemed to make the bike feel really 'flat'. Trying to pop them off little rocks and stumps always felt like a chore.

Great if you want to go fast, but going fast isn't the most fun way to ride trails.... 

But, like I say, lets see. a 140mm modern 29er is probably more capable than most DH bikes were 10 years ago with the ability to pedal it up to the top. What could possibly go wrong... (checks his medical aid)

yeah, I don't think that'll be a problem, 'cos as far as I'm aware the Trek Fuels were fun bikes and they also had the floating pivot. I think the deadness was more a combination of the pivot placement (suspension characteristics) and the shock that was on there. I know that when I changed just the air can on my reign, it was a revelation. Then went to coil CCDB and it was even more of a revelation.  

I thought as much. With a far more rearward pivot I thought it would feel less sleddy. 

I will try out the air guy on there for now and then look at a coil later, or never.

I still like the idea of it being a trail bike and not an out and out Enduro bike where faster is better.

Are you checking your medical because your wife does not know about the frame yet?

Bwahahahahahaha I am actually pretty concerned by this! Luckily I have a store room at work!

on a serous note. Wait until you do a climb and are pretty happy with yourself for getting to the top. Only to discover that the fastest guy is 5 times faster than you. #realitycheck

The Elevate add on for Strava is excellent for breaking your spirit by telling you that your time is 303% of the fastest.

However the feeling you get when you break the 300% barrier  :clap: