Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

So first ride report...

Will need to get used to this bike, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

And in a strange twist of events Droo picked up that my Ribbon's stanchions are doing the splits. There is a bigger gap between the stanchions at the bottom than at the crown. He says they have had to warranty a few CSU's so far. Mine is out of warranty, but is covered bt insurance, so I will put in a claim and see what happens. If it does go through I will replace with the reduced offset CSU - winning! (The offset is at the crown, not lowers as I thought before).

Sounds like a good bike, my insurgent climbs like a dog and I thought the "the following" was supposed to be quite good.

I must say, all modern enduro bikes seems to have a sit on, rather than sit in, riding position.

I am curious to know how Droo diagnosed your splitting fork, as I ride the same fork.........

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good bike, my insurgent climbs like a dog and I thought the "the following" was supposed to be quite good.

I must say, all modern enduro bikes seems to have a sit on, rather than sit in, riding position.

I am curious to know how Droo diagnosed your splitting fork, as I ride the same fork.........

I think he knew what he was looking for since he has picked it uo before. He changed travel on the fork, so when he pulled the lowers and tried to put them on again they struggled - he took a vernier caliper and measured distance between stanchions at the crown vs right at the bottom of the stanchions - about a 2mm difference if I remember correctly. You will only be able to pick it up if the lowers are dropped. It effect small bump sensitivity because there is essentially preload on the bushings the whole time.

I wanted to buy an mrp. Droo informed me about the csu issue and refused to sell me one.

I suppose it was for the best. I am loving my diamond. I can compare the stiffness to an old marz bomber with 38 mm stanchions.

DVO DIAMOND ROCKS

And in a strange twist of events Droo picked up that my Ribbon's stanchions are doing the splits. There is a bigger gap between the stanchions at the bottom than at the crown. He says they have had to warranty a few CSU's so far. Mine is out of warranty, but is covered bt insurance, so I will put in a claim and see what happens. If it does go through I will replace with the reduced offset CSU - winning! (The offset is at the crown, not lowers as I thought before).

"Jammer Coenie?  Ek sal nie weer nie...."

How much yours weight?

My mongoose otero weighed 18. Something kg, but that was with a coil front and back

With DX pedals and a bottle cage my XL enduro is just over 16kg, maybe just under with the lighter front tyre it now has...

So first ride report...

Will need to get used to this bike, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

First thing you notice, the bike is very long, a whole 100mm wheelbase than the Following. Secondly, the seat angle is very steep, which combined with the long wheelbase puts you squarely in the middle of the bike rather than over the back wheel. I rode Helderberg today, so it's basically an hour of climbing - in this time I noticed a couple of things - the Sentinel climbs very comfortably, not fast, but comfortable. Becaise of the seated position the front wheel does not lift on steep climbs, and you do not have to force your weight to the tip of the saddle. Rear wheel traction is also great. The thing that surprised me most was that the front wheel did not flop around as much as I was expecting it to. Some negatives on the climbing - you feel the extra weight (will weigh and add to the post later today, but I am expexting aroun 15-16kg), and around tight switchbacks you really have to force the bike around to not oversteer.

Descending: The bike picks up speed like nothing else I have ridden before and is crazy stable! You have to ride on the front wheel to get traction, something I am not used to, so it felt a bit weird at first and I had to force myself to move my weight around the bike. You also have to lean the bike over to change direction more than steering it. Once I get into it I really think I am going to be quite a bit faster in the descents! Some small negatives - the bike is not as poppy as the Evil and it takes more effort to get it into the air. You also cannot lazily ride the bike, you have to conciously muscle the bike around to get it where you want it, but the upside of this is that you plough over everything once you have picked a line.

The other thing I really enjoyed was being back on a Fox DPS, I have always enjoyed Fox's rear shocks! I do still have to play around with setup because I am not using full travel yet.

This sounds a bit like my Enduro only more so. Its amazing what these modern enduro bikes can do...

Edited by Headshot

***Hijack on***

Does anybody know if the Hope pro4/ 2 evo 142-148 BOOST adapter is available locally?

I have emailed Intl Trade but thought I would ask here too.

Trying to avoid having to buy a whole new wheelset... 

***Hijack off***

My 2018 Patrol, with Magic Mary SuperGravity on the rear, Spez Eliminator GRID Front complete with pedals is 16kg on the head (old tyres pictured)

Those Helm Cherry Bomb forks make me weak at the knees....

***Hijack on***

Does anybody know if the Hope pro4/ 2 evo 142-148 BOOST adapter is available locally?

***Hijack off***

Yep, front and rear. I bought the Wolf Tooth one from Evo Bikes for my Pro 2 rear.

Those Helm Cherry Bomb forks make me weak at the knees....

Well...then you can cry with me...I put it down in the Glen to move a log out the trail for people behind me...right on a rock...Crown, lowers and stanchion scratch  :thumbdown:  Meh, was bleak, but over it now.

Well...then you can cry with me...I put it down in the Glen to move a log out the trail for people behind me...right on a rock...Crown, lowers and stanchion scratch  :thumbdown:  Meh, was bleak, but over it now.

NNOOOO!!!! 

Can you polish it out? Hope so!

Shot on the info, I will order one now so I can ride this weekend

NNOOOO!!!! 

Can you polish it out? Hope so!

Shot on the info, I will order one now so I can ride this weekend

Ag the stanchion is fine, just a lil flatting paper. Lowers some black marker, crown in the cherry red. eyesore. all cosmetic at least. And holy hell i found the super sweet spot settings wise for the fork at last...I think :)

***Hijack on***

***Hijack off***

yep, as Thermo said - wolftooth spacer kit, and a 3mm re-dish towards the non drive side and you're golden. 

yep, as Thermo said - wolftooth spacer kit, and a 3mm re-dish towards the non drive side and you're golden. 

Ok radical.

Will order one now and get the wheel building stand out this evening