Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

Not a fan of the foamo things... They not supposed to absorb the sealant but newsflash they still do, I ditched them and run my pressures a bit harder but apparently I weigh less than a fart. Rather invest in cushcore, I say invest because they are pricey but you can reuse them.

Spend the cash once!

Who sells the cushcore here? I think it looks amazing!

I shall look into that!

Get an Aggressor for the back. I only have front tyre experience with it and it grips while rolling fast. Dhr is a drag and too much out back for around here IMO.

Cool... On order. Amped to get it fitted and take the bike for another spin. (with slightly more pressure!)

Yeah, IMO strong casings & proper pressure >>>>>> inserts. Same weight at the end of the day as well. 

The 2.5 aggressor is a lekker tyre. Haven't run it at the back yet, but wouldn't mind trying when the time comes. Have had reports of it being better than a DHR for the rear. If I don't just move my mary to the back when she's finished her duties up front. 

As for riding with us endurbros - you're still gonna blitz us, man. :P

Yeah... I figured a DD casing would be better better than squirmy sidewalls and an insert.

As for blitzing you guys, maybe in a few weeks after getting this beauty dialled!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a Roadie yesterday. Riding past Misty's it looked like a good morning for Platboom.

It was a good day for a few places and more swell pretty much all week!

Hopefully it holds up.... holding thumbs

The past few weeks I've been in one of those 'new bike death spirals'. 

Currently, I've got a 170mm enduro tank. I recently did my first marathon race in years and actually enjoyed the pain and suffering a bit. So, that got me thinking. I'd like a bike which is more suited for big miles, but I also only want one bike, as I will typically only ride once a week. Thus, a second bike is just not on the cards. 

So, I had a look at this: 

199280_29.jpg

Radon Skeen Trail - 29", 130/120, 68° HA, 454mm reach. So, pretty decent trail bike numbers, but should be good to cover ground quickly. 

BUT, I also want to do some Enduro races this year and they can get pretty gnarly, so that bike might just kill me. 

Aaargh! 

Mid-travel 29er maybe? Just wondering whether that class of bikes is really that much more efficient than a 650B with a bit more travel. 

Decisions, decisions. 

Did a Roadie yesterday. Riding past Misty's it looked like a good morning for Platboom.

Haven't surfed the reserve in years. I always preferred Diaz beach though. Beautiful setting. A jacking westerly at Platboom and I knew I would have my ass handed to me. But that little cove at Diaz would usually be a bit calmer and still shoot some punchy barrels. 

I was also out on the road this weekend and the weather was truly perfect for that - not sure about the surf though.

My road bike is old but speeds along on 2 year old tyres purchased on price. They grip and roll. I cannot imagine road bike forums/ Bikehub having long threads about tyre performance because I can't imagine it makes much difference at all. Then again, I suppose milliseconds could make teh difference between a Sub 3 and not.

The past few weeks I've been in one of those 'new bike death spirals'. 

Currently, I've got a 170mm enduro tank. I recently did my first marathon race in years and actually enjoyed the pain and suffering a bit. So, that got me thinking. I'd like a bike which is more suited for big miles, but I also only want one bike, as I will typically only ride once a week. Thus, a second bike is just not on the cards. 

So, I had a look at this: 

199280_29.jpg

Radon Skeen Trail - 29", 130/120, 68° HA, 454mm reach. So, pretty decent trail bike numbers, but should be good to cover ground quickly. 

BUT, I also want to do some Enduro races this year and they can get pretty gnarly, so that bike might just kill me. 

Aaargh! 

Mid-travel 29er maybe? Just wondering whether that class of bikes is really that much more efficient than a 650B with a bit more travel. 

Decisions, decisions. 

IMO, keep the big bike and buy a light HT 29er for marathons. 

I havent read all the reviews but when they start saying the Spaz Enduro has a very progressive rear suspension design I start doubting their credentials. Also, on bikes like this you need to set them up carefully for each rider eg. by removing or adding volume reducers as any owner would. Then there is also that German brand love that comes through a bit...

It was only a matter of time. We plateaued the long, low, slack routine ages ago.

It won't be long before we regress to the forgotten wisdom of 26 inch wheels.

plateaued? Where was the cut-off?

To answer your question though. Mondraker was probably the cut-off.

I think they say Pole has gone too far and you should/could downsize when buying one :-) I know i would - a medium would fit me fine...

Its not a made up word I swear!

anj1U4a.jpg

wasn't being a grammar Nazi, not that time ;)

I'm not sure if the story has been fully told yet. Mondraker may have started it, but with the advent of 29ers in all category of riding, there's still room for optimization. Look how long it took for 29 wheels and hubs to mature. Frankly, I think the industry played everyone for a fool wrt 29ers. Sold them off on the theoretical benefits, but failed to disclose that it was still a huge work in progress. Increased hub spacing is such a case: it wasn't a nice to have wrt wagon wheels, it was a must IMV.

I think they say Pole has gone too far and you should/could downsize when buying one :-) I know i would - a medium would fit me fine...

I find the approach by Pole as very reasonable, and would love to throw a leg over one for a few months.

Like their STA : while everyone was struggling to venture away of the aesthetic value of an STA that is reflected in the rake of the fork/HA, Pole just went straight to the point about STA and MTBs: climbing efficiency. I am very glad a few other brands are following suit. But seems the better well known brands are scared of a public lambasting under the banner of FUGLY.