Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, quite a few changes actually - side knobs very different too.

I think as much as the much debated "death gap" has been closed. (Personally I like the gap and have no confidence in tires without the "bite gap"..

I think the side/corner knobs were moved closer to the center as well, reducing the angle the bike has to be lent before they come into play, which subsequently closed the gap slightly.

In other news, I picked up a DHR II for the front yesterday. The DHF in 2.5 just looked like slightly to much tire for me. great for Pinning it down Iron Monkey, but every other day, a full blown Dh tire on a 135mm trailbike.  Besides, I want to figure the whole thing out for myself, If I don't like it, It will end up in classifieds. The shop had the new EXO+ as well, and I was pleasantly surprised that the actual difference in weight was negligible (20g)which is great news. Almost no penalty for the extra protection, which for the folks left slightly unsure about running the EXO casing at the back.

I think as much as the much debated "death gap" has been closed. (Personally I like the gap and have no confidence in tires without the "bite gap"..

I think the side/corner knobs were moved closer to the center as well, reducing the angle the bike has to be lent before they come into play, which subsequently closed the gap slightly.

In other news, I picked up a DHR II for the front yesterday. The DHF in 2.5 just looked like slightly to much tire for me. great for Pinning it down Iron Monkey, but every other day, a full blown Dh tire on a 135mm trailbike.  Besides, I want to figure the whole thing out for myself, If I don't like it, It will end up in classifieds. The shop had the new EXO+ as well, and I was pleasantly surprised that the actual difference in weight was negligible (20g)which is great news. Almost no penalty for the extra protection, which for the folks left slightly unsure about running the EXO casing at the back.

Will be interesting to see what exo+ is like. I've run exo previously and not had any issues but a bit more protection isn't going to hurt. I'm not so sure about this feeling that you need heavy DH cases for places like Tokai but it seems to be the recommendation by a few local shops I've been into recently. Difference between our trails and the DH scene that these were developed for seems quite big. 

Will be interesting to see what exo+ is like. I've run exo previously and not had any issues but a bit more protection isn't going to hurt. I'm not so sure about this feeling that you need heavy DH cases for places like Tokai but it seems to be the recommendation by a few local shops I've been into recently. Difference between our trails and the DH scene that these were developed for seems quite big. 

For sure. I think one can quite easily get away with the EXO but will have to run higher pressure to make up for the lack of support in the casing, and then also rim strikes and pinching the casing. This is my big problem. The downside of the higher pressure is sacrificing comfort and grip. 

For sure. I think one can quite easily get away with the EXO but will have to run higher pressure to make up for the lack of support in the casing, and then also rim strikes and pinching the casing. This is my big problem. The downside of the higher pressure is sacrificing comfort and grip. 

it is like you guys have forgotten the joys of super-light tubes in skinny 1.95" tyres on a rocky descent

I need new wheels. I had a skull jarring off this Sunday. Luckily my equipment took more strain than I did. 1 x helmet poked and a front wheel turned taco shape. The back wheel is just trashed from normal abuse but also looked the worse for wear after the bike flew a few meters down the track. My bike guy tells me he had to jump on the front wheel to get it a bit straighter...

Normally this would just mean new rims but with a 24 spoke count up front and 28 out back, I think that is part of the problem....

I29 rims? Novatec/Rapide Hubs? Suggestions?

I need new wheels. I had a skull jarring off this Sunday. Luckily my equipment took more strain than I did. 1 x helmet poked and a front wheel turned taco shape. The back wheel is just trashed from normal abuse but also looked the worse for wear after the bike flew a few meters down the track. My bike guy tells me he had to jump on the front wheel to get it a bit straighter...

Normally this would just mean new rims but with a 24 spoke count up front and 28 out back, I think that is part of the problem....

Budget is what you need to ask first ... the sky is the limit

Medium budget and no regard for weight: Hope Pro4 with some Spank Oozy Trail 345. My fat a$$ has not been able to do damage to them in the last 3 years. I'm seriously impressed with the set-up. Pretty sure it would be as bullet proof on Novatec hubs as well.

Those WTB rims are a no brainer purchase ... but pending shipping costs vs also seeing what you can get locally from the like of STOKE who often have some good deals on hand

Shipping express is R 240, 2 rims cost R 480

R 480 * 1.165 = R 559.20 + R 240 (shipping) + R 250 (handling) = R 1,049.20 at current rates. 

R 520 per rim, landed. Really worth it!