Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

yup. 

Just asking - which climb do people think would be better? Doing the left hand winding climb to get to Plumber, or going via the waterfall route on the other end?

I think the left hand climb is more gradual, but not sure. 

Bro, we found the direct route the best/fastest the 1st time, and then from the bottom of Red Phoenix, up the middle road then past the top of 'Neverending' the 2nd time round.

Direct might be steeper, but it will eliminate lots of km and minutes and time out there.

We also rode the new 'climbing trail' up to the saaltjie top. It goes pretty far up then 2 steep jeep track climbs get you to the top.

More direct, steeper but WAY shorter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. 

Just asking - which climb do people think would be better? Doing the left hand winding climb to get to Plumber, or going via the waterfall route on the other end?

I think the left hand climb is more gradual, but not sure. 

Right (I think?) hand past Never ending is easiest, especially when the SE is blowing, then it's up with a nice tailwind pushing. The other climb is shorter, but punchy. Meaning *** styl when your legs a pap. 

I don't know the correct answer but the waterfall is beautiful so therefore my preferred route.

now that is the bestests and lekkerest attitude!

Lol. I too enjoy being over kitted most of the time. Recently I've been klapping the steel HT with bare knees/elbows and halflid for funduro days. Its just lekker chill and I have the excuse to ride past big drops and pallet jumps sans shame. The guys I know with big boy bikes definitely put them through their paces every now and then. But not at the frequency you'd expect.

I enjoy the simplicity of riding with just halflid. The type of days where I just change whatever shorts I'm wearing for some baggies, grab the helmet, riding shoes and off I go.

But that being said, I never ride Helderberg without knee pads anymore.

And on Tuesday I was thankful that I was wearing my full Power Ranger suit when I sampled some dirt at Helderberg.

All I have to show for my sins is this bruise, it would have been a different story judging by all the dust I washed out of my pads.

5a12eb2de8de874fe2e4d9e4a3ac2b17.jpg

Stage 5.6 dadbod would have protected you. Time to let go a bit. Down with this in-shape-dad-syndrome. (obviously joking)

#trapdaaibikevetseun

I reckon muscles take impacts better than fat. It was always softer tackling the props than the in shape loosies.

I just don't have the knowledge, dedication or discipline to build muscles on my hips. Or six-pack abs for that matter.

Are we seeing you at EWC3? Or will you be too busy removing spraycan's from weird orifices?

Nice slippers.

I was going for the millennial #iwokeuplikethis bathroom mirror selfie look. But alas, by that time I took out the dog, fed him, started the coffee machine, saved a toddler from self inflicted near death and made breakfast. So I was wearing the Standard Afrikaner Spec pantoffel uniform.

Don't tell the vegans but I'm pretty sure it is made from real sheep skin, somewhere a little lamb had to be braaied because Philip wanted warm toes while feeding his bear.

Probably not. Health problems. Whish it was vetseun related.

It's a big day. If you aren't hundreds rather don't.

I remember doing Ezelenduro in 2016 with bad flu thinking 'it's only an enduro.. I can rest etc on the route' and it took nearly 3 months to get better after secondary infections and and and

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I have been looking around the www but can’t find a definitive answer on a service kit for the fox dpx2. Anyone got a part nr or something I can google?

EDIT: Never mind. I figure the seal kit they use in the rebuild is the same you will use in the 125hr service.

Edited by Pieter1

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that long winded and frustrating wheel build that started with CRC sending the order in two packages and the wrong rear hub?

Well its finally nearing completion. I got a refund and on top of that managed to sell the 142 rear hub so I almost got all my money back... thanks CRC. Just got a Rapide boost hub, black Alpina bladed spokes and brass nipples. Finished lacing both wheels this morning and they are currently getting trued and tensioned by someone who actually knows what they're doing. 

Should be test riding this weekend. The bladed spokes look amazing and the Rapide hub is going to make rather a lot of noise. The build weighs in at just under 2kg excl rim tape and valves which is pretty good considering the cost which will be around R4k all in. Cant wait to knock a few hundred grams of rotational mass from my bike.

Wheels are built. I laced them myself but dropped them with Clint at the Bike Park for final tensioning. They look great with the bladed spokes and are a tad lighter than the Spaz wheels despite having 12 more spokes. The WTB rims work great for tubeless inflation and the bead hook really seems to hold onto the tyre although I did have a couple of issues out back thanks to some shoddy tape work by yours truly. 

I cant say that I can notice the lighter weight but the wheels do seem to feel more sprightly under power, perhaps thanks to the increased stiffness and spoke count. The Rapide rear hub deserves a special mention. Came in at the advertised weight, just under 300g and the free hub sounds awesome - not too loud but very audible. I'm a fan of quiet hubs and find the DT on my wifes bike offensive ( I added grease to make it quieter ) but this hub sounds excellent. The engagement is also faster than the crappy Spaz hub that came off and its noticeable on the trail. 

Wheels are built. I laced them myself but dropped them with Clint at the Bike Park for final tensioning. They look great with the bladed spokes and are a tad lighter than the Spaz wheels despite having 12 more spokes. The WTB rims work great for tubeless inflation and the bead hook really seems to hold onto the tyre although I did have a couple of issues out back thanks to some shoddy tape work by yours truly. 

I cant say that I can notice the lighter weight but the wheels do seem to feel more sprightly under power, perhaps thanks to the increased stiffness and spoke count. The Rapide rear hub deserves a special mention. Came in at the advertised weight, just under 300g and the free hub sounds awesome - not too loud but very audible. I'm a fan of quiet hubs and find the DT on my wifes bike offensive ( I added grease to make it quieter ) but this hub sounds excellent. The engagement is also faster than the crappy Spaz hub that came off and its noticeable on the trail. 

K@K@ Man, don't grease the wife's DT Hub if the noise irritates you ...-.. just learn to ride faster than her, or can't you drop her on the bike : P