Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

K@K@ Man, don't grease the wife's DT Hub if the noise irritates you ...-.. just learn to ride faster than her, or can't you drop her on the bike : P

No its a problem, I need to follow orders and if I can't hear what she's saying I get in k@k. So the hub had to be made quieter. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyre update: As we move into summer the tracks at Tokai, some of them still rather fresh, are pretty dusty and soft in places. I've been waiting for my front Aggressor to let me down, but so far no go. Its been great even in the loose stuff between the new high G berms in the roots section of Tokai. If it slides, its easy to control and quite predictable. None of that weirdness I had with the Butcher. 

Went for my first bike ride with the new girlfriend over the weekend on the road and decided to take my enduro bike. Did not realise quite how much rolling resistance DHR IIs have on the road  :eek:  :cursing:

I nearly died.

I have learned not to ride that bike on the road ever again though  :P

• 3 weeks later...

So since I'm in the market for suspension...

There are 3 x MRP Ribbon coils in classifieds... 

I kind of know how to tune a pike now, have the charger damper bleed kit, and I know I can make any pike feel pretty good, or good enough for me anyway. However, the MRP promises slightly smoother stroke(better sensitivity) and travel adjustability which will come in handy. 

I'm not sold on coil spring mid stroke support, but I thought Id come here and do the responsible thing.. ask on hubland.  :blink:

So since I'm in the market for suspension...

There are 3 x MRP Ribbon coils in classifieds...

I kind of know how to tune a pike now, have the charger damper bleed kit, and I know I can make any pike feel pretty good, or good enough for me anyway. However, the MRP promises slightly smoother stroke(better sensitivity) and travel adjustability which will come in handy.

I'm not sold on coil spring mid stroke support, but I thought Id come here and do the responsible thing.. ask on hubland. :blink:

Mid stroke support is solely controlled by the damper, not the spring. That would be the end stroke (bottom out force requirements) that's vastly different between the 2.

It's an excellent fork, by all accounts, and the small bump sensitivity of a coil is unmatched by air.

@Mayhem I know NOXX just got one from the factory, he should be able to give some feedback, although perhaps not a straight comparison to the DHR and Agressor, which we are comparing it to.

I don't like the DHR as a rear tyre. This should hopefully be better, and I'm thinking it may be more of an asseguy light than a heavy duty aggressor. Will ask him what he thinks.

I don't like the DHR as a rear tyre. This should hopefully be better, and I'm thinking it may be more of an asseguy light than a heavy duty aggressor. Will ask him what he thinks.

Well the DHR II is even worse as a front tyre..tried it.

According to MAXXIS, its suppose to be a faster rolling rear alternative to the DHRII , so It wont ever be a "Ass-guy light", since the ass-guy is even slower rolling than the DHR ?

Mid stroke support is solely controlled by the damper, not the spring. That would be the end stroke (bottom out force requirements) that's vastly different between the 2.

It's an excellent fork, by all accounts, and the small bump sensitivity of a coil is unmatched by air.

mm, I'm not so sure. 

What I am referring to is perhaps more a function of progression, which is a spring curve thing. Something to push off of when wanting to pop off rocks and little ledges. 

curious what you don't like about the dhr2 on the rear

curious what you don't like about the dhr2 on the rear

Feels like I have no braking traction in the rear, and it doesn't take a lot for it to step out of shape when it gets even slightly loose. My worn out Mary had better traction.

Hope the Dissector is better, and I'm looking forward to testing it.

Feels like I have no braking traction in the rear, and it doesn't take a lot for it to step out of shape when it gets even slightly loose. My worn out Mary had better traction.

Hope the Dissector is better, and I'm looking forward to testing it.

I must just be riding too slow then

Also don't like the DHR for the rear. But just because it feels like there is glue on my back tyre when I pedal. I have yet to do a trail in SA that needs more than an Aggressor on the rear.

On another note, got myself a 29x2.6 Spaz Eliminator in Grid to replace the nearly dead DHF on the hardtail. PhilipV and CJVan both say it's a briliant tyre, so I'm quite keen to see how it rides - need to tear the side knobs off the DHF first though!

Edited by Grease_Monkey