Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

The previous tyre I had was the Butcher Grid 2.6. On my previous bike I had a Magic Mary 2.3. I think the Aggressor works better than the Butcher up front and rolls faster than both the Butcher and MM. Its probably not as good as an MM in overall all terrain grip, but in SA do you need an almost mud spike like the MM? 

Of course there are other factors involved and some suspension changes have also happened which may contribute to the improved grip. So far I have ridden it on steep and mellow trials, rocks and sandy to hard and damp clay/sandy hardpack and roots. It has been fine on all surfaces. Nothing as weird as the Butcher - a small slide or two early on, but none of late. Its been absolutely perfect at Tokai. I am going to get another for the rear. Funnily enough, the remaining Butcher has been working well out back but is showing signs it wont be with me for much longer...

I might give it a try. Agree with you on the statement above. The worst we really get is loose gravel over hardpack, and for that, you just need sturdy long enough side knobs, and I'm convinced the "death gap" Franna talks about really helps here!

Speaking of the "death gap"..seriously? Franna you even caught yourself saying it, its for BITE! No honestly, go look at 80% of the best rated tyres, they all have it. Anyway, I think its up to riding style.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy paid by Spaz :-) 

edit - the tread pattern does look a lot better than the Butcher. The other factor is price. You can get an Aggressor 2.5 for under R650.00. How much is the Spaz - R800? 

Spez tyres used to be their best kept secret as they were super good and super cheap until last year when they all went up to R800 odd. Not going to step me though. I've been on a e13 semi slick and miss my Slaughter. Just wish they would make it in something bigger than a 2.3 for 29'rs. 

I hated the 2.6 Butcher tho so the Eliminator could be the new go to. 

Was that Aggressor an EXO case for R600 @ Stoke? 

Edited by T-Bob

Spez tyres used to be their best kept secret as they were super good and super cheap until last year when they all went up to R800 odd. Not going to step me though. I've been on a e13 semi slick and miss my Slaughter. Just wish they would make it in something bigger than a 2.3 for 29'rs. 

I hated the 2.6 Butcher tho so the Eliminator could be the new go to. 

Was that Aggressor an EXO case for R600 @ Stoke? 

It was R646 and yes, an EXO casing. 

Stoke Rock!

If the planets align I may be working close to their store, so can then pop in there and have a decent LBS near to me!

the Table Mountain Massif will be here soon to tell you that the EXO casing isn't good enough.

But I reckon for Tokai and Greenbelt and Jonkers riding EXO is where it's at. Especially on the front wheel.

I have used the XCO casing very successfully for jaaarrre on Table Mountain .... ek se maar net!

the Table Mountain Massif will be here soon to tell you that the EXO casing isn't good enough.
But I reckon for Tokai and Greenbelt and Jonkers riding EXO is where it's at. Especially on the front wheel.

I always run EXO happily up front and have managed reasonably well out back too. The next Aggressor will also be EXO and used out back. I doubt it will be worse than Grid. Just need to float over the pokey rocks...

I always run EXO happily up front and have managed reasonably well out back too. The next Aggressor will also be EXO and used out back. I doubt it will be worse than Grid. Just need to float over the pokey rocks...

I've used Exo for a couple of years now with no issues. Recently got a new frame and put a 2.5 Aggressor Exo on the rear, and on the first ride out took a gash out of the sidewall, it's not klaar, but I suspect it will fail there soonish.

My next rear tyre will be Double Down (if you can even get a 2.5 aggressor in that in SA). But for the front I will stick to Exo, I don't see a world in which I am gonna need more on the front.

From my experience Exo definitely trumps GRID

I might give it a try. Agree with you on the statement above. The worst we really get is loose gravel over hardpack, and for that, you just need sturdy long enough side knobs, and I'm convinced the "death gap" Franna talks about really helps here!

Speaking of the "death gap"..seriously? Franna you even caught yourself saying it, its for BITE! No honestly, go look at 80% of the best rated tyres, they all have it. Anyway, I think its up to riding style.

Hey, I can not speak for all the other tyres - but an Ibex 2.4 works 100's for me.

I ride the absolute hell out of them and have yet to run out of grip in corners.

My recommendation - oil on your rotors, forcing you to carry even more speed through corners - the notion to stay alive will add major grip to your tyres.

jks.

Hey, I can not speak for all the other tyres - but an Ibex 2.4 works 100's for me.

I ride the absolute hell out of them and have yet to run out of grip in corners.

My recommendation - oil on your rotors, forcing you to carry even more speed through corners - the notion to stay alive will add major grip to your tyres.

jks.

You jest but speak the truth re brakes. I am on a conscious drive (ride?) to keep my fingers off my brakes. Its a horriblly difficult thing to do because its so ingrained in me to brake to a "safe" speed for a corner or obstacle.

Its a slow process but I can already feel the difference and carry more speed through sections I was previously having to pedal pit of. I get these minor "oh wow" moments every ride when my tyres grip and I exit the corner without any brakes. 

You jest but speak the truth re brakes. I am on a conscious drive (ride?) to keep my fingers off my brakes. Its a horriblly difficult thing to do because its so ingrained in me to brake to a "safe" speed for a corner or obstacle.

Its a slow process but I can already feel the difference and carry more speed through sections I was previously having to pedal pit of. I get these minor "oh wow" moments every ride when my tyres grip and I exit the corner without any brakes. 

I did a shoddy job of setting my gears before my last ride, and didn't notice before I was around 500m away from my car, so I only had top 4 or 5 gears on my cassette working. And having little time for a ride, I decided to keep going and to work with what I have.

Long story short, the climb up Helderberg was fine, not an issue. BUT, going down there's no way to pedal fast enough in the available gearing. So that forced me to flow to keep speed in sections where I would normally just work in a crank or two.

Strava don't lie (often) but I had three of my best DH sections on the trails, without being able to out power down when needed.

I did a shoddy job of setting my gears before my last ride, and didn't notice before I was around 500m away from my car, so I only had top 4 or 5 gears on my cassette working. And having little time for a ride, I decided to keep going and to work with what I have.

Long story short, the climb up Helderberg was fine, not an issue. BUT, going down there's no way to pedal fast enough in the available gearing. So that forced me to flow to keep speed in sections where I would normally just work in a crank or two.

Strava don't lie (often) but I had three of my best DH sections on the trails, without being able to out power down when needed.

you sound like a good candidate to go Single Speed!

you sound like a good candidate to go Single Speed!

Please no!

On the ups I had 32/42 to get me up there.

I tried a singlespeed for one G-Spot session, and hated the ups, and spun out on the downs.

and here I had high hopes for you :P

Please no!

On the ups I had 32/42 to get me up there.

I tried a singlespeed for one G-Spot session, and hated the ups, and spun out on the downs.

There is a tree at the bottom of a down-slope in my back-garden, the slope just long enough to get up to about 25km/h. In the evenings that I don't get to ride, I do little "chicken runs" around the tree(If I don't make the turn I hit a wall), going higher and higher, death-grip style with a foot out. Its nerve wreaking but amazing how much grip there is to be found If you're willing. Does a lot for ones confidence, just knowing that I have hit a slightly off-camber corner at a certain speed before definitely lifted my flat corner speed on trails.