Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Surfing.

At the moment I'm probably doing 80-90km running a week, mostly trail. 2 decent rides and I surf whenever there are waves. Surfed twice yesterday. (With 2 oceans and MacMac 100 Miler coming up obviously the goalposts have shifted to prioritize Poor Manning).

It's also my go to for taper week.

Surfing works all the right muscles, your lungs and acts like mini intervals and fuels the brain with all the good stuff.

I also do home workouts using kettlebells, slam balls and such but that is probably once a week if the waves are rubbish and I'm pressed for time.

Edited by Jewbacca

For me, Surfing.

At the moment I'm probably doing 80-90km running a week, mostly trail. 2 decent rides and I surf whenever there are waves. Surfed twice yesterday. (With 2 oceans and MacMac 100 Miler coming up obviously the goalposts have shifted to prioritize Poor Manning).

Surfing works all the right muscles, your lungs acts like mini intervals and fuels the brain with all the good stuff.

I also do home workouts using kettlebells, slam balls and such but that is probably once a week if the waves are rubbish and I'm pressed for time.

Surfing is excellent for core work! And shoulders.

Really need to get back on a bodyboard soon.

Haaahaha. Busted. They'll tell you again and again and again. Then they'll start a thread specifically about it. Then respond to their own responses on said thread.

They'll also post the same pic of the place on multiple threads. Crucially not on the same day.

as much as it burns, I appreciate the reminder that MTB trail network spans continents. Fort William is still on my bucket list. And after following the last EWS, that trail in Tasmania looks crazy good. but if you said morzine is closer and cheaper, you would probably be right ;)

Surfing is excellent for core work! And shoulders.

Really need to get back on a bodyboard soon.

Or learn to stand up.... With winter approaching, Muizenberg Longboard sessions come thick and fast. By summer you could be Hitting up Llundudno/Kommetjie/Long Beach with a 6'5" in hand being rad....

Perfect time to start learning to surf in the Cape!

if you said morzine is closer and cheaper, you would probably be right ;)

It is closer and cheaper.

And there's a WC there this year

And you speak french

And there's amazing road riding there too. A rental Roadie is about 50 Euro a day.

And loads of #enduro stuff too

There's a reason most of the pro's base themselves there in the summer and GM owns a place there. But don't take my word for it. Ask Meezo when he gets back.

Like most things, a strong posterior chain will benefit you more than having an aesthetic anterior physique. 

If you're not going full out strength training, at least do some bent-over rows, romanian dead lifts. 15 min on those stepper machines also helps for endurance as you can target glutes and hammies on it depending on your positioning.

I probably do core once a year, and when I do it's just to make sure I can still do a set of 10 of these;

RIaro.jpg

Is that you in the pics?

Back on topic. Went for a ride last night - half in the dark too (spooky) and found my rear suspension awfully firm. Looked down and realized I was on my hard tail. 

Back on topic. Went for a ride last night - half in the dark too (spooky) and found my rear suspension awfully firm. Looked down and realized I was on my hard tail.

????

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but coming from a gyming/bodybuilding background I picked up crossfit from the start of this year.

I am much fitter and stronger on the bike now than I was last year, even dropped a few kg too. Last year I was putting in (not consistently) around 100km per week on the mtb (no other exercise), this year my schedule looks something like this:

Mon: Crossfit

Tuesday: Crossfit

Wed: Mtb

Thurs: Crossfit

Fri: Mtb

Sat: Longer mtb ride

I'm not that consistent with following it religiously, and I am not the right person to be giving advice on fitness, but I must say that for me this has made a massive difference, esepcially on longer descents and short hard efforts.

But I digress, there is actually a dedicated thread for this.

CrossFit eeeuw!

For me, Surfing.

Surfing works all the right muscles, your lungs and acts like mini intervals and fuels the brain with all the good stuff.

Do you not work?! Sheesh.

#goddamsavage

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but coming from a gyming/bodybuilding background I picked up crossfit from the start of this year.

post-132517-0-64422000-1554294423_thumb.jpg

Kidding... I wouldn't last 5 minutes in one of those classes. 

This year I've been looking at core, flexibility and dropping weight. I'm  pretty keen to sign up to that online system to complement the other stuff, seems to be pretty good value.