Dear mountain bikers.. from trail runners

Chris_

Boys, boys, boys..... :offtopic:

OP was writing about something else.

Please start your own dog/cycle/walk thread. And then discuss who should get a skop innie balle. Dog or owner. And for what reason: provoked/misunderstood/not trained/self defence.

Just to end: most of the time owner's are to blame - an untrained, anti-social dog will always do what comes naturally or is mis-learnt #justsaying :whistling:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an untrained, anti-social dog will always do what comes naturally or is mis-learnt #justsaying :whistling:

Nothing that a swift knee to the groin can't fix.

I hope you never do it where I can see it, as I will do the same to you on behalf of the dog.

There are other ways of "self defence"

See my earlier posts about dogs attacking my kids.

I think you thinking too hard into this.

As stated above, some people must of had bad experiences that there approach and feelings to dogs are a lot different to yours. For example my niece will not go anywhere with her parents or us hiking or beach unless we can ensure there are absolutely no dogs around. She's is frightened shitless because of bad experiences with them.

My kids are really small and loved any animal and now the same are **** scared for dogs if even a 5 meters away from them.

Me, having been attacked a few times by peoples dogs while riding, i will not hesitate even if it means "kicking the dog in the nuts" if the dog attacks me.

In all these cases the owners of the dogs are/were to blame, but in all these cases the owners seemed unphased. Self defence is to protect myself first even if it means harming (preventing it from attacking me) the dog

No problem, if I attack you or the dog out of the blue then please, kick me in my nuts. I deserve it.

Just like the dog will deserve it when I kick him.

Laughing very hard at this banter!

Must say if a dog attacks me I would try my best to kick it in the nuts and then the owner because as much as I agree with Quagga that it is not really the dog's fault that will be of little consolation to the kid that gets mauled by said dog. Perhaps a swift kick to both the dog and owners nuts would make them think twice about attacking a stranger and may even prevent said mauling in the future!

This morning I met 4 trail runners (ladies) and their 7dogs (loose) on the trail in Helderberg.

I gave the leading lady a bit of a fright, but I stopped an ample way ahead of them to apologize to her, had time to greet everyone, warn them that more riders are coming down and to calm the front dog down and give it a little rub as it walked past me. No one died, got ridden over, bitten or raised voices.

In 19years of rides I have never felt threatened by a dog. But I don't allow any dog to intimidate me. But some people seem to be able to make friends with dogs, and others just antagonize dogs. BTW, I'll always trust my dog if he doesn't like you.

Copperhead, I'm going to assume that you are not a dog person.

you talk a big game, but I highly doubt that you'll be able to inflict a vet's bill like you claim on a dog like mine without something like a big stick in your hand, and even then you'll get seriously hurt yourself. With that attitude you are opening yourself to the possibility of a world of hurt, and adding to your dress levels. Not winning.

But I won't allow you to be in that position near my dog, as he will be on a leash. Sadly, I can't speak for all the stupid people you seem to encounter.

If Baloo is loose and you seem to be threatening my children, he'll take you off your bike in no time. A flying 45 kg Bouvier has a lot of stopping power when he is motivated.

So my suggestion is as follows:

Learn to read dogs. There is a difference between an excited dog, and a dog attacking you.

Cruising past a an excited dog is easy, either greet dog and just ride past while talking to them, and calming them down is usually achieved by allowing them to smell your hand. palm up, underneath their snout, after sniffing they'll allow to scratch their neck or chin. If your hands are above their eye level they might be afraid of being slapped and react accordingly.

With an attacking dog just get out of the situation ASAP, you won't learn to calm them down overnight. But hurting them still isn't the answer.

Phillip I am a dog person.

But Maritz was pushed over and licked by a dog when he was very small .... he LIKES to play with CALM dogs.  But until he KNOWS the dog is calm he goes into total panic mode ....  I have had to carry him while asking owners to put their dogs on leashes ...  

Personally I have no issues with dogs.  Some owners though ....

That is a problem.. too many people get dogs for the wrong reasons... those dogs more often than not don't get the attention they should be getting and def don't get training either.

When my kids walk our dog they do so with a stick in hand.... if you can't look after your animal and it charges my kids or me it is going to get a smack...cause shouting STOP, voetsek or f-off doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I carry a rolled up newspaper that is taped together when walking my dog. It's painless, but dogs get a fright because of the noise when they are slapped with it.

My dog reacts to the noise of me slapping it against my leg. Other dogs will get it over the nose. But fortunately I haven't had other fog issues in ages. He isn't called Baloo for nothing.

See my earlier posts about dogs attacking my kids.

I think you thinking too hard into this.

As stated above, some people must of had bad experiences that there approach and feelings to dogs are a lot different to yours. For example my niece will not go anywhere with her parents or us hiking or beach unless we can ensure there are absolutely no dogs around. She's is frightened shitless because of bad experiences with them.

My kids are really small and loved any animal and now the same are **** scared for dogs if even a 5 meters away from them.

Me, having been attacked a few times by peoples dogs while riding, i will not hesitate even if it means "kicking the dog in the nuts" if the dog attacks me.

In all these cases the owners of the dogs are/were to blame, but in all these cases the owners seemed unphased. Self defence is to protect myself first even if it means harming (preventing it from attacking me) the dog

Jis this makes me sad. I'm sorry that the children had to experience this. And I don't blame you for feeling this way. I might not agree with hurting dogs,but I understand your instinctive reaction.

My little girl is two, and wants to "Hondjie hallo se" for every dog. I learned her to come.e and fetch me, and then we go over together and I ask the owner if we can approach his /her dog. Then I greet and scratch the dog, followed by Babyface if the dog is cooperating. My fear is that she goes alone to the wrong dog/owner combo one day.

Personally I have no issues with dogs. Some owners though ....

Totally agree with that.

Maritz sal hopelik soos hy groter word oor daai vrees kom.

Phillip I am a dog person.

But Maritz was pushed over and licked by a dog when he was very small .... he LIKES to play with CALM dogs. But until he KNOWS the dog is calm he goes into total panic mode .... I have had to carry him while asking owners to put their dogs on leashes ...

Personally I have no issues with dogs. Some owners though ....

Shame man.. you should maybe get in touch with a trainer and go for a few sessions with a dog that they know are good with kids..(to help with that.)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Laughing very hard at this banter!

Hahaha, I'm glad someone else is also having a laugh! People shouldn't be so serious - some of us miss the banter with mates at the local while we have to sit in an office all day .

I carry a rolled up newspaper that is taped together when walking my dog.

Now this is what I call "out of the box thinking", truly commendable. This rolled up news paper will be perfect for hitting a dog in the nuts with.

Now this is what I call "out of the box thinking", truly commendable. This rolled up news paper will be perfect for hitting a dog in the nuts with.

Hoe lank is jou arms? Pasop vir die skerp kant terwyl jy die sagte kant probeer kielie.

What if it's a bitch!

What if it's a bitch!

Then I will attack it on an emotional level and tell the bitch she picked up weight, etc. Always works.

What if it is a trans-dog? 

Then I will attack it on an emotional level and tell the bitch she picked up weight, etc. Always works.

Mushrooms?

Then you just use the wrong pronoun and watch it get triggered.

Archived