Flat vs Clipless

Sbloomer

Hiya

It's the noob again.

In my other thread regarding going with wider bars, there was a response to my getting back into MTB after a long layoff, that my best upgrade (if I hadn't already done so) would be going flats.  I generally now ride hybrids (flats on side, clips the others)

I found this interesting in that my entire previous cycling experience I had gone clipless.

Two things made me recall the discussion:

•  The Dirtopia ride and run last weekend had me coming off because I couldn't unclip fast enough (stupid me).  In addition I was getting peed off with my pedals, because when I wanted to ride on the flats, the SPD side kept getting in the way and it's a mission to sort it out without looking down.
  • The other thing is I'm going to be doing Katjia's workshops as a refresher.  Only flats allowed.

I know a lot of things are personal preference and there are no rules, and opinions may be divided on what would be best, but what are peoples thoughts?

When I do do some road rides (sies) I will definitely use clipless, but my MTB is pretty much spending my time around the Tygerberg rides and equivalent.

Fire away.  Any input is always appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confidence is key, so ride with what you feel most confident on.

There is no right or wrong way.

Like Riverin the Road says, if you go flats you need decent flat shoes, otherwise you will klap your shins moer toe. 

When I ride platforms, its with my old pair of new balance tennis shoes. the shoes grip okay onto the pedals, but can't walk on wet tar without huge risk of slipping! IMO is it the quality of the platform pedals that makes the difference and not so much the shoe (putting aside things like pressure points etc., simply referring to grip).

FLATS !!!

(The soles of the fiveten's are very stiff so I use a tackie like HighTech which is softer and grippier.Good pedals matter and DO NOT use beartraps (google))

One of the biggest myths is that you have to ride with clips. If you are a pro then by all means ride with clips. Proper flats and shoes are great for learning skills. I ride flats about 1/2 the year, and find no difference in my speed.

toe clips on a mtb trail is not a great idea, especially for a rider getting back into mtb .... have some horrid recollections of my first endeavours into mtb with toe clips

You can try toe clips.

All depends on you. I like being clipped in on fast bumpy trails. When it gets really gnarly I will loosen 1 just to give me the bail option.

I like clips because I "know" what the bike is doing.

For workshops they want you on flats because cleating is cheating. On flat your technique needs to be correct.

But as to which is better that's up to you. I have friends that fly down technical stuff some on flats and others on cleats.

For trail riding get a bigger platform cleat pedal. Those you have cleat 1 side normal pedal the other if they are the shimano 1s I think of is more of a touring pedal than trail.

toe clips on a mtb trail is not a great idea, especially for a rider getting back into mtb .... have some horrid recollections of my first endeavours into mtb with toe clips

Toe clips on a mtb sound like suicide!

A good set of flats, paired with some good shoes are great and will help you confidence and improve your technique. I have been running some Hi-tec's with Vibram soles which have lasted and performed well, 5.10's are great, I recently bought a pair, a bit expensive and hard to come by though and I am finding very stiff so require a slightly different technique, though the rubber is very sticky.

These are awesome on the trails, look for something like this

post-27175-0-59161400-1548509287.jpg

These DON'T belong on the trail

post-27175-0-45869700-1548509301_thumb.jpg

And definitely not these, though I'm seeing more and more people in Tokai with them!

post-27175-0-12672200-1548509313_thumb.jpg