The bloke in the white BMW

MudLark

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://m.fin24.com/Tech/News/warning-whatsapp-group-admins-could-face-jail-time-20170623

I know that's a whatsapp group..I think FB the same...once it's 'published' and proven to be slander or whatever..you could be liable...but what do I know...right now im recoving from my ride in the South Easter this morning..

It is only slander if not true.

I would have a huge post count if I listed every car that causes mayhem every day

Then why not name and shame away?

i'm black but not offended. i don't understand the sensitivity about skin colour...

My main issue was reg number, not skin colour (although pointing that out is as arbitrary as the guys hair or eye colour).

Reg number is personally identifiable, and posting that on a public forum can land you in poo.

My main issue was reg number, not skin colour (although pointing that out is as arbitrary as the guys hair or eye colour).

Reg number is personally identifiable, and posting that on a public forum can land you in poo.

i agree.

Please tell me how? If I see someone doing something illegal and post it....I can only get in trouble if not true. Else I am just reporting what I saw

Edit: as per another post Roadhog publish th e reg nubmer to their site so how is that different than posting it here?

Here they even post pictures
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community/Report-bad-driving-in-cape-town-329276897447722/

Please tell me how? If I see someone doing something illegal and post it....I can only get in trouble if not true. Else I am just reporting what I saw

Edit: as per another post Roadhog publish th e reg nubmer to their site so how is that different than posting it here?

I'm not a lawyer, and I am not saying anything done here is against the law. I have just seen too many of these non-issues get turned into issues lately. Judging by the driving behaviour of the individual, maybe he is inclined to do that. As a general rule I just try to stay away from posting personal info on public forums.

Not looking to get into a debate about what's right, what's not, just some friendly advice.

Use it, don't use it. I won't lose sleep over it either way.

I'm not a lawyer, and I am not saying anything done here is against the law. I have just seen too many of these non-issues get turned into issues lately. Judging by the driving behaviour of the individual, maybe he is inclined to do that. As a general rule I just try to stay away from posting personal info on public forums.

Not looking to get into a debate about what's right, what's not, just some friendly advice.

Use it, don't use it. I won't lose sleep over it either way.

You said you can get into trouble and I said you can not as long as what you are posting is true. If this is your personal opinion to not post things, then say that. It is your opinion not fact

You said you can get into trouble and I said you can not as long as what you are posting is true. If thids is your personal opinion to not post things, then say that. It is your opinion not fact

Post #10 - I thought it's pretty clear I'm expressing an opinion, not fact. Besides, I wasn't disputing anything you said. And "in trouble" can mean a few things - the law isn't always your biggest worries, social media can be too.

Someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Talk about being cut off.!

Quite a few riders got "cut off" by the south easter this morning ... it was brutal in areas.

Sorry to hear about your incident OP.

Unfortunately there's little consideration on the roads and everybody's entitlement is generally greater than the next person's.

Back to the non-topic related stuff.

I'm ok with the wind - it's always a 50/50 - half of the ride is going to be into the wind, the other half it will be with the wind (not necessarily in that order). I'm even ok with white knuckling it because the deep sections don't like the breeze.

What I found brutal yesterday were the heat AND the wind. I love a good hot summer's day to go for a bike ride, but k@kking off into the South Easter on my way home at 39C made me a little grumpy. And my Garmin said I only needed 22 hours of recovery. I think I need another week!

For every white BMW that doesn't give a sh!t about cyclists, there are probably 20 (possibly not BMWs) other vehicles that do. And that's where I prefer to focus. Thank the decent drivers politely, and hopefully, the BMW drivers of the world will notice.

Post the number plates man, this "there could be liability" is such an overrated statement.

If they want to pursue a "slander" case, then reciprocate with an "attempted murder" one.

If you post the plates, then you most certainly dont need to post the drivers race. This may be a factual description, but the reality of the climate in SA is that you will lose substance to the safety discussion by it becoming side tracked by a racial description. 

Open Letters!!!

Also, Sarfraz Ahmed got banned for 4 games because he called Andile Phehlukwayo 'hey black guy' and as he had been dropped 5 times asked him what prayer his mother was saying....

Is he black, yes. Factual. Is it funny? Well, it is quite. But apparently if you combine race with a yo mamma joke you are an evil racist.

My advice. Just don't tread that line. Besides, open letters to no one that could potentially land you in trouble?

It's a bit of a pointless risk

Open Letters!!!

Also, Sarfraz Ahmed got banned for 4 games because he called Andile Phehlukwayo 'hey black guy' and as he had been dropped 5 times asked him what prayer his mother was saying....

Is he black, yes. Factual. Is it funny? Well, it is quite. But apparently if you combine race with a yo mamma joke you are an evil racist.

My advice. Just don't tread that line. Besides, open letters to no one that could potentially land you in trouble?

I hope that the long arm of the law will not swing around against me when I'm standing at a police station trying to describe an assailant who attacked me without being able to identify him accurately 

Off topic here but isn't it amazing how frequently punishments are being meted out for things that people say?

I used to play local league cricket for many years as an adult and have said and have said much worse things.

I was once told by a wicket keeper that he'd was going to do unspeakable things with my mother.

I told him he should do it because my mother would teach him things that his mother clearly hadn't.

Even his team mates laughed.

Open Letters!!!

I hope that the long arm of the law will not swing around against me when I'm standing at a police station trying to describe an assailant who attacked me without being able to identify him accurately 

I completely agree... I do think that 'race' is a sensitive topic, but bringing race into something isn't always racist. Yet is portrayed as such.

When paople make fun of me for looking like a terrorist I laugh because it's funny..... because it's true!

Archived