GT Mountain Bikes - are they to be laughed at?

..GT bike or Gary Turner himself is the reason we have Mountain Bikes .Tell your cyclist friend his an idiot, GT is up there with the top bike brands. You will upset some diehard GT fans with a post like this.

So go get one, you wont regret it.

Gary Fisher maybe? Gary Turner is the godfather of the modern racing BMX.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey OP,

Speaking as a specialized s-works owner, ignore the childish clowns who stereotype about specialized. Haters will hate and vegetables will vegetate. I think GT's are great bikes and well worth the purchase. Enjoy your new ride when you buy it!

good point, the specialized owners are not all bad and don't deserve the bad rap they get. The SWORKS owners however have an even worse rep, which is unfair as 97% of them give the rest a bad name.

If you still want to check if GT's can be ridden hard, just Youtube Hans Rey. He probably will down a Blitzkrieg if someone say GT's are no good.

Nothing wrong with GT at all. They're a brand with one of the most storied histories, and have developed many fine bikes over the years. Here in SA, though, they're represented by Omnico and aren't seen by the masses as a competitor on the same scale that they are, internationally. Also, the i-Drive suspension system (now abandoned) was eccentric, but effective. It looked strange. 

However - there's nothing wrong with their bikes, and they're a worthy competitor to pretty much any other bike out there. 

Gary Fisher maybe? Gary Turner is the godfather of the modern racing BMX.

No Gary Fisher is Gary Fisher and Gary Turner is Gary Turner

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time, John Tomac...he rode GT...and dominated the world of MTB.

GT Zaskar is a legendary bike...the brand itself is brilliant. Just coz it doesnt have an "S" or some Swiss uber-biker using it doesnt mean its a bad bike.

Buy the GT and ride it proudly. I promise you, nobody gonna laugh at you. And if they do, its coz they are a narrow minded ignoramus. You dont need that kind of negativity.

You are riding a Mongoose Canaan and you are worried about people laughing at you on a GT.

Just kidding, both are good bikes and both a good brands. Both are imported by Omnico. There are not many good things said on Bike Hub about the service of Omnico. Just something to consider when getting your new bike.

However, if you want a GT, check out Omnico's sale site. There are some real bargains from time to time.    www.obike.co.za 

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time, John Tomac...he rode GT...and dominated the world of MTB.

GT Zaskar is a legendary bike...the brand itself is brilliant. Just coz it doesnt have an "S" or some Swiss uber-biker using it doesnt mean its a bad bike.

Buy the GT and ride it proudly. I promise you, nobody gonna laugh at you. And if they do, its coz they are a narrow minded ignoramus. You dont need that kind of negativity.

Impartiality clearly doesn't become you. Instead of adding credibility to GT, you gone and undermined your own opinion by hating on another brand and for what?

If you want to endorse GT, endorse GT, don't insult other brands in the process, cause you're acting like an elitist and giving GT a bad rep. Swak dude

Hi.

I am looking to change bikes - possibly to a 29er.  I am currently riding Mongoose Canaan - but tired of the linkage issues that I continually experience.

I was considering one of the many GT mountain bikes and I mentioned this to a cyclist who said no way - they are rubbish and you will be laughed at.

Well not that I care about people laughing but are GT's really rubbish - I am talking entry level here eg Zaskar... don't have huge bucks to buy a beautiful bike :)

Would value any 'brand' expert views.

GT's are rad. Just ask Hans Rey or Martin Maes, google them if you will. I had a avalanche, lasted me years. 

Good , solid bikes at great prices.

Whatever you buy, enjoy it.

D

No Gary Fisher is Gary Fisher and Gary Turner is Gary Turner

GT bike or Gary Turner himself is the reason we have Mountain Bikes .

Look at what I highlighted in his post. Gary Turner started GT by designing racing BMX bikes. He is not one of the pioneers of mountain biking. 

Below is GT doing what he does. He is still making old school bmx frames for enthusiasts around the world and manages a racing team.

post-42431-0-21549300-1548754601_thumb.png

You are riding a Mongoose Canaan and you are worried about people laughing at you on a GT.

Just kidding, both are good bikes and both a good brands. Both are imported by Omnico. There are not many good things said on Bike Hub about the service of Omnico. Just something to consider when getting your new bike.

However, if you want a GT, check out Omnico's sale site. There are some real bargains from time to time.    www.obike.co.za 

I will again refer you to the exploits of Chris Akrigg on a Mongoose!

GT are owned by Cannondale and between the two of them have an incredible heritage going way back !!

Archived