GT Mountain Bikes - are they to be laughed at?

I cannot believe that many cyclists have become this snobbish. It seems to have become a sport of who has "the" bike.

Two weekends back at Hennops there were three riders who passed me along the route. Two had highly specced, very pricey bikes (both dual sus, one a high end Scott and one a high end Spez), and the third had a bike which brand I could not recognize but it did not look like a modern highly priced bike. It had NO suspension and only a single gear. He kept up with his two mates and looked like he had a lot of fun.

Just goes to show you don't need a R60k hard tail or R100k soft tail to be able to ride and enjoy it.

I am sure the GT you are looking at will be able to endure the trails you want to ride.

Go for it and don't care who thinks what.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the hub  !!!

GT's are great bikes.

Enjoy.

Just make sure you get the correct size - plenty on Youtube on bike sizing.

It is safe to say that GT's are a safe bet when it comes to choosing a mountain bike.

As mentioned before make sure that the size is correct for you and if you plan on keeping the frame and upgrading over time, please make sure that the head tube is tapered ie. that it will accept modern suspension forks, it will save you some headaches in the future. Enjoy bike hunting!!

It had NO suspension and only a single gear. He kept up with his two mates and looked like he had a lot of fun.

Sounds about right!

Hey OP,

Speaking as a specialized s-works owner, ignore the childish clowns who stereotype about specialized. Haters will hate and vegetables will vegetate. I think GT's are great bikes and well worth the purchase. Enjoy your new ride when you buy it!

I cannot believe that many cyclists have become this snobbish. It seems to have become a sport of who has "the" bike.

Two weekends back at Hennops there were three riders who passed me along the route. Two had highly specced, very pricey bikes (both dual sus, one a high end Scott and one a high end Spez), and the third had a bike which brand I could not recognize but it did not look like a modern highly priced bike. It had NO suspension and only a single gear. He kept up with his two mates and looked like he had a lot of fun.

Just goes to show you don't need a R60k hard tail or R100k soft tail to be able to ride and enjoy it.

I am sure the GT you are looking at will be able to endure the trails you want to ride.

Go for it and don't care who thinks what.

Don't be fooled. I know a few rigid single speeds that cost close to 60k!

I have a carbon GT Zaskar 29er. Everything flattens out if you go fast enough. I have had it six years.I am very happy with it, for cross country races it is a great bike.

The only time your friend will laugh at you is when you start the ride at the meeting spot. GT's are crazy fast and a very aggressive ride.

I've owned 2 in the past and they fly without too much effort. 

I speak under correction but didn't gee Atherton ride a GT in the 2016 DH championships. ?? GT are great bikes. I have a few mates who have the older 26" model and its a lovely bike. KTM above all else but after that the gT is great. LOL just kidding. Ride what you can afford, what you have fun on and what you enjoy riding. When you start challenging Nino Schurter in the world champs then you can reconsider what you ride...

Ask Wynn. He seems to have fun on his and smashes tails way beyond our pay grade in SA let alone Maes doing his thing in the DH and EWS wins. 

There are a lot of great bikes out there and it's more about how it fits you and your riding. Demo one if you can and see what happens. I know Cycletecnix stocks them and the owner in Kenilworth, had a nice looking rig for himself. 

Your mate has no clue what he is talking about... 

Confused_Christian_Bale.0.gif

GT bikes are tasty - perhaps you might have ever heard of a young Belgian shredder Martin Maes  :thumbup:

People like bashing things they dont know. At the end of the day, its all about frame craftsmanship!  The rest of the parts are common on mtb.

Archived